C7 Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM
08Indy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

Default C7 Battery Charging

Went out to start my 2015 Z51 last weekend. Pushed the ignition button and the car wouldn't start! It didn't even turn over, it seemed that the battery was dead. I tried plugging in the charger that I bought with the car, plugged it into the lighter outlet on the console and then plugged it into power and it wouldn't start to charge. I then got my trickle charger and attached it to the battery directly and it start to charge. Checked it a few days later and the charger indicated the battery was charged. Went out to start the car tonight and the charger light was blinking, like it was connected backwards to the battery and the battery was not charged! I couldn't even open the doors with the remote, had to use the key to unlock the rear hatch. I disconnected the battery charger and reconnected it and it started charging again. Anybody know what is going on?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Might be a bad battery, get it checked.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The chargers that come with your car will not boost a dead battery, it might look like its charging but it won't charge it.

You need to attach a regular charger to the battery to get it over 11 volts, then the float charger to do its job and finish off the charge
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I have been through it myself. Sounds like a battery issue which is where to start either way. The electronics on Corvette drain the battery when it sits over time. GM offers the battery protection package for good reason. FWIW I left my 2011 C6 off the battery tender for a few days and the battery would not start the car. Had dim dash lights but car would not start. Got it jump started and drove it straight to the dealer. Car was under warranty at the time. GM will not replace the battery unless it test bad which it did. Service tech put in a new battery, indexed windows and got all systems working. He had to work with it awhile as not everything came back initially even with a new battery. After that I kept the car on a battery tender when in the garage.. Currently own a 2015 C7 and if the car is going to sit in the garage for more than a day or two it is on the GM battery protection charger. No issues and starts great. I have talked with several C7 owners about potential battery issues with these cars. One lady with a 2014 C7 as a daily driver didn't know about using a battery tender and had no issues. Her car was a daily driver and maybe that is the key to keeping the battery charged. Other C7 owners have said they let their car sit for a week or two and their car starts fine. Good for them, I just don't trust the battery to start the car if it sits for two weeks. A bit of a pain to keep the car plugged in so frequently but it starts great and avoids dead battery problems. Good Luck!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Plug the charger into the trunk port for a couple of days and see what happens. The port in the cabin will not work.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:23 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Plug the charger into the trunk port for a couple of days and see what happens. The port in the cabin will not work.
This. Only the one in the trunk is live whe when car is off. Doesn't anyone read manuals anymore? That said, it's also true that the float charger is not designed to charge a completely dead battery.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Sorry to hear that. I have been through it myself. Sounds like a battery issue which is where to start either way. The electronics on Corvette drain the battery when it sits over time. GM offers the battery protection package for good reason. FWIW I left my 2011 C6 off the battery tender for a few days and the battery would not start the car. Had dim dash lights but car would not start. Got it jump started and drove it straight to the dealer. Car was under warranty at the time. GM will not replace the battery unless it test bad which it did. Service tech put in a new battery, indexed windows and got all systems working. He had to work with it awhile as not everything came back initially even with a new battery. After that I kept the car on a battery tender when in the garage.. Currently own a 2015 C7 and if the car is going to sit in the garage for more than a day or two it is on the GM battery protection charger. No issues and starts great. I have talked with several C7 owners about potential battery issues with these cars. One lady with a 2014 C7 as a daily driver didn't know about using a battery tender and had no issues. Her car was a daily driver and maybe that is the key to keeping the battery charged. Other C7 owners have said they let their car sit for a week or two and their car starts fine. Good for them, I just don't trust the battery to start the car if it sits for two weeks. A bit of a pain to keep the car plugged in so frequently but it starts great and avoids dead battery problems. Good Luck!
I agree. I've been keeping my C7 on the battery tender whenever it's not being driven ever since I've had it. I know it sounds like a waste of time and electricity, but it works for me and gives a little added comfort that the battery will perform. Unhooking the tender before driving and re-hooking after have simply become an automatic part of driving for me. No big deal.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Curahee
I agree. I've been keeping my C7 on the battery tender whenever it's not being driven ever since I've had it. I know it sounds like a waste of time and electricity, but it works for me and gives a little added comfort that the battery will perform. Unhooking the tender before driving and re-hooking after have simply become an automatic part of driving for me. No big deal.
Just to set the record straight, you can do as you wish but the C7 is no different than other cars, better than older Vettes and can start the car at least 30 days after not running!
Got my C7 in October 2013. Checked the battery voltage and it was on the low side (read ~12.4 volts using a calibrated volt meter and still does after the surface charge dissipates.) Had the dealer check in 2013 when I brought it in for a rear end fluid check. As expected I got a "working as designed!"
Have not used a battery charger after I bought a GM equivalent in October 2013 to see if the low voltage was from not using the car during that period because I was travelling, no different and have not used it since. I went on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks and it started fine and after driving ~50 miles the battery still read 12.4 volts! I probably have a weak cell and at the first sign of a problem I'll buy an AGM battery replacement-but so far it's fine.
Made the pic below from the 2014 Service Manual info. It shows that the C7 can last, as noted, more than 35 days and still start the car. Do as you wish but the C7 DOES NOT DRAIN THE BATTERY EXCESSIVELY, IN FACT SHUTS OFF MOST POWER DRAINS AFTER ~10 MINUTES.

If fully charged car should start after 30 to 35 days
Old 10-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Just to set the record straight, you can do as you wish but the C7 is no different than other cars, better than older Vettes and can start the car at least 30 days after not running!
Got my C7 in October 2013. Checked the battery voltage and it was on the low side (read ~12.4 volts using a calibrated volt meter and still does after the surface charge dissipates.) Had the dealer check in 2013 when I brought it in for a rear end fluid check. As expected I got a "working as designed!"
Have not used a battery charger after I bought a GM equivalent in October 2013 to see if the low voltage was from not using the car during that period because I was travelling, no different and have not used it since. I went on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks and it started fine and after driving ~50 miles the battery still read 12.4 volts! I probably have a weak cell and at the first sign of a problem I'll buy an AGM battery replacement-but so far it's fine.
Made the pic below from the 2014 Service Manual info. It shows that the C7 can last, as noted, more than 35 days and still start the car. Do as you wish but the C7 DOES NOT DRAIN THE BATTERY EXCESSIVELY, IN FACT SHUTS OFF MOST POWER DRAINS AFTER ~10 MINUTES.

If fully charged car should start after 30 to 35 days
Consider the record straightened. I'm aware of everything you point out in the manual. Nevertheless, I don't see anything but good in spending a few cents per month to be certain the battery is fully charged. I've also read that this practice also helps extend battery life.
The following users liked this post:
nmvettec7 (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 12:50 PM
0subchev
Former Vendor

Received 204 Likes on 170 Posts

We have a long-term solution for that

GM ACCESSORY Corvette Stingray C7 Battery Charger - GM (22969090)

Hope this helps!
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2015, 01:38 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

You can buy a CTEK MUS 4.3...8 Step....Smart Charger from Amazon for under $70.00 free shipping and the CTEK MUS 4.3.....is superior to the US3300 Corvette charger as shown above.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
speed4tu (01-09-2017)
Old 10-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Duntov7
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
The chargers that come with your car will not boost a dead battery, it might look like its charging but it won't charge it.

You need to attach a regular charger to the battery to get it over 11 volts, then the float charger to do its job and finish off the charge
OR....call your friendly AAA jumper-guy
Old 10-30-2015, 05:58 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Odd, I've had 10 Corvettes and only one had the battery go out under the 3 year-36,000 mile warranty, and that was with 2 miles left on the warranty. Really! All of the rest of them had batteries that lasted a little over 3 or 4 years, and I replaced them with the OEM battery.
Living in a warmer climate may have helped in the life of the batteries, also I have never used a battery tender.
Of course, now I have jinxed myself and the car will be dead when I leave work tonight in the rain! LOL
Old 10-30-2015, 06:18 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by [B
bob guzzy[/B];1590799857]The chargers that come with your car will not boost a dead battery, it might look like its charging but it won't charge it. You need to attach a regular charger to the battery to get it over 11 volts, then the float charger to do its job and finish off the charge
The CTEK US 3300 12-Volt Battery Charger, # CTEK56158, may be able to resurrect your batteries but if they were dead long enough, they would probably be too far gone to bring back to working order. The best bet for this scenario would be the CTEK MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Universal Battery Charger, # CTEK56353, because it has a special reconditioning mode that restores the power capacity of stratified batteries. The 7002 also has an 8-step charging process. As does the CTEK MUS 4.3
Attached Images   

Last edited by nmvettec7; 10-30-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:53 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Very well worth watching......just get the best....CTEK.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Go to WalMart and buy this trickle and full 8amp charger that simply plugs into the cargo compartment outlet. Works great about $30. or 2 for $40. This unlike the ctek will charge a dead battery.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40806213?<...061168&veh=sem

Last edited by Black&White; 10-30-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:10 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black&White
Go to WalMart and buy this trickle and full 8amp charger that simply plugs into the cargo compartment outlet. Works great about $30. or 2 for $40. This unlike the cetek will charge a dead battery.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40806213?w...061168&veh=sem
You have a beautiful American made sports car, why not buy the best.

But I understand, you're Black & White.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Battery Charging

Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
You have a beautiful American made sports car, why not buy the best.

But I understand, you're Black & White.

I own a Ctek I think its junk. It will only trickle charge. This will do both and is a full 8 amps.

Last edited by Black&White; 10-30-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:22 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Curahee
I've also read that this practice also helps extend battery life.
This is very true. I tried for years to baby along my toy car with occasional winter drives to keep it charged, but that can be tough some years in Ohio. Every few years I had to replace the battery because they all stopped holding a charge. If you want to let it run completely down you really need to buy a deep cycle battery.

After I started to keep my battery on a maintainer it lasted incredibly longer. It finally just died a couple of months ago and when I checked the receipt I was amazed that it was over 10 years old!

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 10-30-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:48 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black&White
I own a Ctek I think its junk. It will only trickle charge. This will do both and is a full 8 amps.
See post #15 above and go to the CTEK website to get a full understanding of the CTEK smart chargers and how they work.

Don't know what model you have, as you never stated and your comment was quite vague in nature.

http://smartercharger.com/

These automotive brands have chosen CTEK for their branded chargers.

You must be mistaken and perhaps you own another brand, not a CTEK.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: C7 Battery Charging