Sponsored by:

Transparent Top Heat Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:35 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Transparent Top Heat Transmission

I was wondering if anyone has actually applied a film on the underside of the transparent top to retard heat transmission and the results???

I'm familiar with the aftermarket headliners held on by suction cups but want to retain the "open look" while limiting hot summer sun...
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

There was another post here about a gentleman that reported many details on his new C7, Net result was that there wasn't much more heat in a transparent top equipped car. Difference was about 1 degree and he was selling his CF top because he didn't feel he needed it...
SO, i wouldn't worry about it too much.... unless perhaps you live in FLA or Texas or SOCal
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Sorry, when i looked at OP, i realized you do live in Texas... so you may have a legit need.
GM used to have velcro covers on the Gen 4 F body, my 1999 Trans Am with T-tops had interior fabric covers that matched the interior and kept the heat out, it would be interesting if some aftermarket could do the same.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:14 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

It was Hopper12 's report, specifically here is his observation
"
Transparent top: We have two tops – painted and transparent. We took the transparent top and really enjoyed the more open feeling it gives the interior, and being able to view the mountains, etc. thru the top. Never any glare problem from the sun. I’ve read of some forum members complaining of high interior temps with the transparent top when compared to painted tops – but I dispelled that issue for myself a couple of months ago by leaving the car in the hot sun for 2 hours with each top on a 96 degree day and measuring the interior temperature. The interior with the painted top was 2 degrees cooler – that’s within a margin of error. Hot is hot – doesn’t matter which top you have on when it bakes in the hot sun. That said, we had no issues on the mid-80 degree days on this trip. We just left the windows down for a mile or so while the A/C did its job and then put the windows back up. I love the transparent top – anyone want to buy a DSOM painted top? I’ll never use it. We took a nice drive with the top off up the North Cascades Highway on a beautiful sunny day.
"
I'm sorry that i mentioned the hoodliner as you said you didn't want to do that.... i still think that additional tint will make the top less useable for your enjoyment.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
I was wondering if anyone has actually applied a film on the underside of the transparent top to retard heat transmission and the results???

I'm familiar with the aftermarket headliners held on by suction cups but want to retain the "open look" while limiting hot summer sun...
I live in Southern Calif and travel to Arizona frequently where it gets quite toasty. I have been using one of these in my last 4 Corvettes and it works amazing. A side benefit from a solid panel is that to a small degree you can still see through it. I'd highly recommend. Easy to remove (5 seconds) if you don't need it.

http://www.corvettemods.com/C7-Corve...d_p_10904.html

Last edited by tome; 11-04-2015 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
beepster (11-05-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 PM
FORD GUY
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 33 Posts

I live in San Antonio and this past summer I drove my C7 in 105+ temps and it is a little warm on the seats after your first get in. While driving you can feel the sun beating down on you, just crank up the AC a notch and not a big deal. Love my transparent top!
beepster (11-05-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 08:57 PM
dataporter
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
I live in Southern Calif and travel to Arizona frequently where it gets quite toasty. I have been using one of these in my last 4 Corvettes and it works amazing. A side benefit from a solid panel is that to a small degree you can still see through it. I'd highly recommend. Easy to remove (5 seconds) if you don't need it.

http://www.corvettemods.com/C7-Corve...d_p_10904.html
Tome - are you saying you can remove and replace the solar shade many times easily?? Dave
Old 11-05-2015, 09:35 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dataporter
Tome - are you saying you can remove and replace the solar shade many times easily?? Dave
Also, does it roll up for storage?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:02 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered the film mentioned above a few years ago for a c5. It has sat wadded up in the corner of the garage for the last 10 years. Never worked for me.

I have this and it works VERY well.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I ordered the film mentioned above a few years ago for a c5. It has sat wadded up in the corner of the garage for the last 10 years. Never worked for me.

I have this and it works VERY well.
Thanx, but been there and done that. The suction cups didn't work out well for me. I removed the headliner and a couple of the suction cups stayed put...thus ruining a $150 purchase.

I want to try a heat retardant film similar to that which we use for tinting the windows...just wondering if anyone has tried this
Old 11-05-2015, 05:34 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

There are after market covers available for clear tops now.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dataporter

Yes, put it in and remove at your discretion. It is static cling, though I will give you a heads up on removing it. I did it once at a stop sign, and my hair stood straight up for about 1/2 hour trying to reach the roof! A very funny sight.

I keep a plastic tube to roll it up on and then just lay in the netting in the back.

I have used these for years without any issues.

Tom
beepster (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:51 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Dave;
I have an offer for you. I still have the one out of my C6. While it doesn't fit perfectly, it certainly fits well enough to get an idea if you like it. I'd be more than happy to send to you an you could send back when you are done.

Tom
Old 11-05-2015, 08:58 PM
A471133
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

I live in San Antonio, and the heat kills. I had 3M clear crystalline film applied to the inside of all my cars windshields, it rejects 95% of heat energy. My leather seats and dash no longer burn when I get in. You can probably get it applied at any tinter. My windshields were about $200 each to apply.
beepster (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FORD GUY
I live in San Antonio and this past summer I drove my C7 in 105+ temps and it is a little warm on the seats after your first get in. While driving you can feel the sun beating down on you, just crank up the AC a notch and not a big deal. Love my transparent top!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by A471133
I live in San Antonio, and the heat kills. I had 3M clear crystalline film applied to the inside of all my cars windshields, it rejects 95% of heat energy. My leather seats and dash no longer burn when I get in. You can probably get it applied at any tinter. My windshields were about $200 each to apply.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Dave;
I have an offer for you. I still have the one out of my C6. While it doesn't fit perfectly, it certainly fits well enough to get an idea if you like it. I'd be more than happy to send to you an you could send back when you are done.Tom
Is this easy enough to put back on? I heard that it might be a bit hard to center and then get light coming in from around some edges.

That being said, I had both roofs with my C5 in hot as Hades Lake Havasu. The sun became too uncomfortable, and I used the colored top April - Oct.

My C7 gets built next week and ordered the transparent top mainly for looks and plan on using this or the suction gizmo.

Are you the gent who got the first C6?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hoonose

Are you the gent who got the first C6?

Yep, I'm the guilty party....

There is a very small edge around the panel, but I have no issues with it. I learned a couple of tricks to install for alignment (available for a small fee......LOL) and installation is 5 minutes or less now. The solar shade may not be for everyone, but I happen to love it.

Tom
Old 11-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep, I'm the guilty party....

There is a very small edge around the panel, but I have no issues with it. I learned a couple of tricks to install for alignment (available for a small fee......LOL) and installation is 5 minutes or less now. The solar shade may not be for everyone, but I happen to love it.

Tom
You take GM Card? I'm trying to max it out for my car on order.

(lol)

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent Top Heat Transmission

Quick Reply: Transparent Top Heat Transmission