C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air induction on a C7 Stingray myth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Mike,

That kind of improvement is simply not possible.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,071 Likes on 593 Posts

Check the C6 Fast list. I'm on there and I don't have every time slip from both cars but I do have an excell chart showing most of my runs. The LS2 was way more receptive to CAI's than the LS3. I have no reason to make it up. Of course over time I got a little better driving but not .3 second better.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
All of these "High Flow" performance air filters get their increased flow by decreasing the air particle filtration performance.

While I don't buy used cars at this point, if I were in the market and saw that the air filtration was changed from stock, I'd reject that car from consideration.
That is categorically untrue.

You'd better stay far away from tuned cars or any that dare change whatever came from the factory.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

The is categorically true.

All of these "High Flow" performance air filters get their increased flow by decreasing the air particle filtration performance.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

I installed the AFE CAI on my '14 Stingray last summer. Didn't do any dyno runs but there was a noticeable change in how smooth the power comes on even when under light acceleration. At WOT the power, for lack of a better term, is just much smoother.

I have had an AFE CAI sitting here for my '16 Z06 also since last summer. I have often wondered exactly if and how much additional hp the car would make. Yesterday I scheduled dyno time next Tuesday to get a base run, immediately install the AFE and run the car again. I will post the results.

I will be doing a third run as soon as I get the Borla Atak hopefully next week also. I already have the Borla x-pipe. I'll post those results also.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Doug Z06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 x 2
I installed the AFE CAI on my '14 Stingray last summer. Didn't do any dyno runs but there was a noticeable change in how smooth the power comes on even when under light acceleration. At WOT the power, for lack of a better term, is just much smoother.

I have had an AFE CAI sitting here for my '16 Z06 also since last summer. I have often wondered exactly if and how much additional hp the car would make. Yesterday I scheduled dyno time next Tuesday to get a base run, immediately install the AFE and run the car again. I will post the results.

I will be doing a third run as soon as I get the Borla Atak hopefully next week also. I already have the Borla x-pipe. I'll post those results also.
Please keep us posted, very interested to see the results. I have an AFE CAI being delivered today and a Borla x-pipe and ATAK system on the way. I would think a gain of 20 hp is realistic.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Unless you drive around with your hood open all the time,i mean straight up like on a dyno, you get squat from an air filter replacement except a dirtier intake. Lots of them don't filter as well as oem. The gains we see from the manufacturers are nothing but a sales pitch and apparently one that works very well.A couple of systems will gain you 2/10ths or something at speed but that's about it and none of those are the big filter ones. Seriously,if it were that easy GM would have done it a long time ago because they are all about cheap! The C7 has the filter on the side there for a purpose and i guess it works because they deem it adequate for 460 HP and more...
The following 4 users liked this post by not08crmanymore:
blkvet6 (11-18-2017), BRussell (12-04-2015), Chemdawg99 (04-09-2016), Glen e (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Newton06
Drifting

The is categorically true.

Prove it.

If it's not up your ally, simply don't buy it instead of bashing others who did and saw noticeable performance improvements on the dyno, especially with other engine mods.

To say 'GM would have done this from the factory' is vastly oversimplifying the often competing design inputs every OEM must juggle.

Last edited by Newton06; 12-04-2015 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:12 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
I can see this discussion going on forever. Ad nauseam .......... I for one would like to see some real world before/after dyno testing on an otherwise bone stock C7. Done by someone other than the manufacture.
Me Too!!!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If it's not up your ally, simply don't buy it instead of bashing others who did and saw noticeable performance improvements on the dyno, especially with other engine mods.
See,now you're going into other areas "especially with other engine mods" does not qualify as an air filter performance gain.There is no air filter out there that will give you a legitimate 10-15-17-20 hp gain by itself. Unless you stay on a dyno with your hood up ..because once the hood is closed and it gets warm then hot under there whatever gains you think you got are quickly gone.They proved that long ago when testing a c5 with some magic filter on it.17+ gain on the dyno,hood up.Hood closed guess what,they lost more then they gained. When you introduce other engine mods,that nullifies the air filter gain thing.
Glen e (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 04:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,665 Likes on 6,658 Posts

Originally Posted by petepd
Me Too!!!!!
See link my post # 14. Also note comment, with their own filter housing they can make the filter and the air duct larger.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:14 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by petepd
Me Too!!!!!
Well, it's fixing to happen. My TPW is the 7th. Once I get through the basic breakin and it's safe to do so, I will have the car dyno'd by 21 Century Muscle Cars. Then they'll install the aFe. Some 200 miles later per aFe so that the system can learn the new intake, I will again have the car dyno'd by 21st.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:18 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
See,now you're going into other areas "especially with other engine mods" does not qualify as an air filter performance gain.There is no air filter out there that will give you a legitimate 10-15-17-20 hp gain by itself. Unless you stay on a dyno with your hood up ..because once the hood is closed and it gets warm then hot under there whatever gains you think you got are quickly gone.They proved that long ago when testing a c5 with some magic filter on it.17+ gain on the dyno,hood up.Hood closed guess what,they lost more then they gained. When you introduce other engine mods,that nullifies the air filter gain thing.
Thing is, this isn't a C5 let alone a C6. G M does what they do to meet specific government regulations. That is why the exhaust is designed as it is. It is up to the aftermarket to rectify the shortcomings.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:13 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

on the C5 & C6 the cai systems were completely different then the C7, that's not a myth that's just a fact. 2 main reasons
1. Colder denser air is what we are after to get increases in horsepower, the C7 air intake goes thru the fender and truns at least 3 times before it gets to the engine. so the outside "colder" air isn't much of a gain and certainly not as big a gain as the C5 & C6
2. Main things we were gaining from these add on's was the "RAM AIR" effect. On the C5 & C6 the aftermarket units went right over the radiator and you got all sorts of "Ram air" effect. But on the C7 again the air coming into the engine turns at least 3 times and isn't at all a "STRAIGHT SHOT" so you don't anywhere near the ram air effect like on previous years.
Is their gains? of course there would be since the aftermarket units use a less restrictive air filter and use a smooth turning tube. But to even suggest its anywhere close to a C5 or C6 system is just wrong. I know a very well known tuner who says "don't waste you money on it" and he sells the stuff.

Want the cheapest mod for your car that will help with restriction? take the filter out while you are racing. paul
Old 12-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Is their gains? of course there would be since the aftermarket units use a less restrictive air filter and use a smooth turning tube.

Now consider that GM is using the "state of the art" air filtration media to produce a filter that captures minute particles and still has a low pressure drop across the filter to maximize airflow.

How do you get more airflow thru the filter? Make it with larger air passage ways so more air can flow through it. And what is the result, a filter that has more air flow but also has poorer filtration especially of finer particles. In a nutshell that how it works.

As Hanny said, you want more power? Take the air filter out.
Chemdawg99 (04-09-2016)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:27 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Is their gains? of course there would be since the aftermarket units use a less restrictive air filter and use a smooth turning tube.

Now consider that GM is using the "state of the art" air filtration media to produce a filter that captures minute particles and still has a low pressure drop across the filter to maximize airflow.

How do you get more airflow thru the filter? Make it with larger air passage ways so more air can flow through it. And what is the result, a filter that has more air flow but also has poorer filtration especially of finer particles. In a nutshell that how it works.

What GM uses meets both federal and CARB regs plain and simple. None of the aftermarket high flow systems do. Does G M install truly good headers ? Not ! Why ? Because then they couldn't meet noise regs let alone emissions.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:39 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,665 Likes on 6,658 Posts

One other way to get more flow other than removing the filter or making it less efficient at removing "dirt" is to make the filter larger! As an aFe rep notes in the article with a test published in an online magazine (quoted in post 14) is they make their filter housing larger. In addition like all compromises in design, GM has to account for the car operating in dusty areas when they select the filter material and that folks want them to last ~30,000 miles. No such restraint on after market folks. Since I can clean mine, I'll do it every 20,000!!

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
What GM uses meets both federal and CARB regs plain and simple. None of the aftermarket high flow systems do. Does G M install truly good headers ? Not ! Why ? Because then they couldn't meet noise regs let alone emissions.
In fact the OEM filter design and the air duct design consider noise! No question, you can prove the aFe, and no doubt other low restriction cold air ducts and filters, make more noise! GM does not want buyers complaining about the air intake sound! The OEM air intake has a large helmholtz appendage attached (suggest googling) to reduce noise. The aFe system appendage is smaller and is only there as a passage to accept the burped air for dry sumps and to provide a clean air intake for the crackcase PCV system. Probable no consideration for noise.
As an example, at WOT the 14 inch diameter X 5 inch high K&N air filter I have on the 8.2 liter engine in my '34 street rod makes as much noise as the long tube headers, straight thu Borla stainless mufflers and 3 inch stainless pipes!
Just say'n, there other reasons for the OEM design!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-06-2015 at 07:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
C7 x 2 (12-06-2015), MikeyTX (12-06-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air induction on a C7 Stingray myth?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Well stated sir ! Kudos.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeyTX:
C7 x 2 (12-06-2015), JerryU (05-15-2017)
Old 12-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Newton06
Drifting

[QUOTE=JerryU;1591052516]One other way to get more flow other than removing the filter or making it less efficient at removing "dirt" is to make the filter larger! As an aFe rep notes in the article with a test published in an online magazine (quoted in post 14) is they make their filter housing larger. In addition like all compromises in design, GM has to account for the car operating in dusty areas when they select the filter material and that folks want them to last ~30,000 miles. No such restraint on after market folks. Since I can clean mine, I'll do it every 20,000!!

No, no, no, no, no!

It's PERFECT from the factory! After all GM has trillions of computational hours which NO aftermarket company can better!

I only buy bone stock cars that have a complete Zaino history and whose owners changed the oil every 500 miles with complete Blackstone reports.

DDers are out of consideration.

Must be garaged and covered too.

Stay away from the modders!

LOL!

Last edited by Newton06; 12-06-2015 at 10:30 AM.
JerryU (05-15-2017)
Old 12-06-2015, 12:19 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a Halltech carbon cai on my 2015 z51 manual. Noticed a difference in acceleration response after the install. I don't have any hard numbers to back up an increase in hp or torque but I did notice quite a difference before and after. My humble opinion, it works.
Fastmikefree (12-17-2015)

Quick Reply: Cold air induction on a C7 Stingray myth?