Sponsored by:

First service experience at Criswell....disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrysmith2048
Well said. What I really find obnoxious is when you get a request from the service department to give them "5 stars" on the survey regardless of how good or bad your service actually was. I once had a guy tell me his family won't get to eat if I gave him anything less than 4 stars.

The system is broken.

Actually in thinking back, of all the cars I've owned, the most customer friendly service departments were BMW. But they are also crazy. One time my 96 M3 was in for service and the guy asks if I'm sitting down, then tells me it neess $6500 worth of suspension work (no the car had not been in an accident, it was driving fine but tires wearing unevenly). I said "quick! Get my car off your lift! Immediatly I left and never went back there. The car needed some new bushings. Parts were about $175, had a BMW specialty shop put them in for about $500.
So the system to tell them that there are service issues doesn't work because all they want on the survey is "good work"... no..."great work"
or they get punished.... how many times have i heard that in all aspects of life.... this is a contributer to bad service issues never being rectified.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
jmoses52
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts

I initially placed my vette order from Criswell, but had to cancel and go with Les Stanford since they let me use a Employee Discount and Criswell didnt. I took it twice in for service at Criswell and they are definitely better than others in the area. But I feel your pain, I feel as if Corvettes need to have the same service level as a Benz or BMW service.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
fusiongt
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Well at least they didn't say, "sir. Tech test drove the car and couldn't duplicate the noise."
Old 12-02-2015, 11:56 AM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased my C7 from Criswell in Aug 14 because I live near York, PA and nobody could get me a new C7 and the sales went well through Criswell. For service, I have taken my previous Corvettes to Thornton Chev in York - they have always treated me well and that is where I will continue to go even though it is a 25 mile trip for me. The Chev dealer that is local to me was terrible and they went out of business Thornton is the place to go for me. I wish they could have gotten me my new C7 but Criswell was able to deliver on that one.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:05 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I used silicone grease on the front striker plates right, where the front lever touches the striker plate then twisted the rear hook in to pull the top down more, since doing that last year I haven't had any roof noise.

Lube those points then release the set screw turn the hook in at least your noise will go away until they do their fix on your car.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:26 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Not trying to be a smart-***, but why would you drive 2 hours each way for service?
Because I bought the car there and was counting on their (formerly) good service reputation to fix at least one issue that was making me crazy: the roof. Supposedly, the quality of their service department is worth the drive. I know the quality of their sales department is worth the drive and, again, I may be in the "1%" of the service fumbles, but it only takes one "aw, ****" to eradicate a whole bunch of "attaboys." They scored two enormous "aw, *****" in my one (and probably only) visit today.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

And here's an email followup on the PDR:
"We have contacted GM Technical Assistance on the PDR issue we had today. They said that they have been having problems with this software programming on a specific PDR part number which happened to be the one that your Corvette has. They directed us to replace the PDR, which we knew that already...but they also will have to write us a specific program for this repair. Basically, when we replace that PDR we will have to call GM and they will write us the program and send it to us to install in your car."
If I'm interpreting this correctly, this PDR for this car requires unique custom coding to make it work. Hell, it worked when I brought it in, but the flash/upgrade killed it.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:36 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
OP: Thanks for keeping us up to date on your service experience. I was really hoping that Criswell would be a great place for service. Pls keep posting. I may follow up with a PM if that's ok.
Happy to oblige. And to Bill17601's point, I did keep a positive attitude. Dina remained cordial and so did I. Nevertheless, the results are irrefutable: they could not provide the service repairs I requested and, far worse, the car no longer has functionality coming out of the dealership that it did have going in (the PDR).
Old 12-02-2015, 12:38 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I used silicone grease on the front striker plates right, where the front lever touches the striker plate then twisted the rear hook in to pull the top down more, since doing that last year I haven't had any roof noise.

Lube those points then release the set screw turn the hook in at least your noise will go away until they do their fix on your car.
I couldn't get the rear hook to budge. What size is that set screw that keeps the hook from rotating?
Old 12-02-2015, 12:46 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by MarCorpsMustang
Happy to oblige. And to Bill17601's point, I did keep a positive attitude. Dina remained cordial and so did I. Nevertheless, the results are irrefutable: they could not provide the service repairs I requested and, far worse, the car no longer has functionality coming out of the dealership that it did have going in (the PDR).
Thanks. I hate to see this sort of thing happen. So far my top has been noise free but I have a '16 and it probably has the new parts.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

As the OP has discovered, the Sales Dept and Service Depts are two entirely different entities and profit centers.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Because I bought the car there and was counting on their (formerly) good service reputation to fix at least one issue that was making me crazy: the roof. Supposedly, the quality of their service department is worth the drive. I know the quality of their sales department is worth the drive and, again, I may be in the "1%" of the service fumbles, but it only takes one "aw, ****" to eradicate a whole bunch of "attaboys." They scored two enormous "aw, *****" in my one (and probably only) visit today.
I understand. I had a fantastic sales experience and horrible service from the same dealer.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sorry your service trip went so crappy. Thanks for the info on the PDR update software. I understand it's just a color and resolution update to sharpen the picture a bit. Mine is ok, not great, but ok so i guess I can live with it for as little as I use it anyhow.
As far as the roof creaking; mine creaks, pops, snaps etc. all the time, especially when it's hot out or really cold. In any event, it wouldn't be a corvette if it didn't. I've never had one that didn't; part of the experience.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

I couldn't get the rear hook to budge. What size is that set screw that keeps the hook from rotating?
I think it's a 2.5 mm allen. You probably have to buy a set which should also have a 2 and 1.5 mm.
MarCorpsMustang (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

I've never bought from Criswell, but they have never impressed me in my visits there. I always get some peon that's 2nd line is "what can we do to get you take this home today?"
If it were me; at this point I'd have a NICE loaner and be heading home. Call me when you get all this s&*# worked out. Your time is worth money, and they are wasting it.

I had warranty work on my Avalanche 2500 done years ago at Pohanka. They were OK. They did fix my transmission problem in my brand new truck, which required a new valve body, torque converter, and a few other odds/ends. However, they would not take my word for it on this intermittent problem. I had to wait for the truck to act up, take time out of that moment of that day, to get there and demonstrate it; before they would do anything about it.

Good luck with getting everything worked out.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-02-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:38 PM
bluevette67
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience! I take my C6 & C7 there. No one is perfect, but they always get the job done, even if it takes a few try's with as little drama as possible. My C6 computer failed and the car almost killed me, and they worked closely with me and GM to figure out the problems. After they fixed it and the car flipped out again, the had it towed back to the dealership and paid for it. It took a few times, but it got done. It's easier for me I guess because I am only about 25 miles away. After coming from owning and Audi and a Ford, its like night and day aside from the occasional "we don't have the parts." Currently waiting for almost a month for my new infotainment screen to come in. I got rid of my Audi specifically because of the service alone was beyond horrendous. Its sounds like Dina is trying to fix the issue, but i hope you get it resolved wherever you decide to go so you can spend more time enjoying that awesome ride! Good luck!

Last edited by bluevette67; 12-02-2015 at 02:39 PM.
MarCorpsMustang (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by bluevette67
Sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience! I take my C6 & C7 there. No one is perfect, but they always get the job done, even if it takes a few try's with as little drama as possible. My C6 computer failed and the car almost killed me, and they worked closely with me and GM to figure out the problems. After they fixed it and the car flipped out again, the had it towed back to the dealership and paid for it. It took a few times, but it got done. It's easier for me I guess because I am only about 25 miles away. After coming from owning and Audi and a Ford, its like night and day aside from the occasional "we don't have the parts." Currently waiting for almost a month for my new infotainment screen to come in. I got rid of my Audi specifically because of the service alone was beyond horrendous. Its sounds like Dina is trying to fix the issue, but i hope you get it resolved wherever you decide to go so you can spend more time enjoying that awesome ride! Good luck!
Interesting you mention Service and dumping a car. My sister ditched her Infiniti G-coupe because the NoVa dealer she went to was AWFUL. She went with an Audi Q5, and now just ordered a new 2016 S5 because she likes the brand & service experience better.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-02-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To First service experience at Criswell....disappointed

Old 12-02-2015, 03:10 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Interesting you mention Service and dumping a car. My sister ditched her Infinti G-coupe because the NoVa dealer she went to was AWFUL. She went with an Audi Q5, and now just ordered a new 2016 S5 because she likes the brand & service experience better.
We have a Q5 also and love it.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I've never bought from Criswell, but they have never impressed me in my visits there. I always get some peon that's 2nd line is "what can we do to get you take this home today?"
If it were me; at this point I'd have a NICE loaner and be heading home. Call me when you get all this s&*# worked out. Your time is worth money, and they are wasting it.

I had warranty work on my Avalanche 2500 done years ago at Pohanka. They were OK. They did fix my transmission problem in my brand new truck, which required a new valve body, torque converter, and a few other odds/ends. However, they would not take my word for it on this intermittent problem. I had to wait for the truck to act up, take time out of that moment of that day, to get there and demonstrate it; before they would do anything about it.

Good luck with getting everything worked out.
Shouldnt you be on OSO? Lol
Sydwayz (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 04:40 PM
GreenGA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

And here's an email followup on the PDR:
"We have contacted GM Technical Assistance on the PDR issue we had today. They said that they have been having problems with this software programming on a specific PDR part number which happened to be the one that your Corvette has. They directed us to replace the PDR, which we knew that already...but they also will have to write us a specific program for this repair. Basically, when we replace that PDR we will have to call GM and they will write us the program and send it to us to install in your car."
If I'm interpreting this correctly, this PDR for this car requires unique custom coding to make it work. Hell, it worked when I brought it in, but the flash/upgrade killed it.
If that's the case their "programmers" violated the first rule of software updating... Never, NEVER, make an update without a backup plan, or copy in this situation, before one attempts the update.

Some extra memory in the PDR, to which they could copy the existing verion, would have solved this problem without needing custom code to make it work...

Quick Reply: First service experience at Criswell....disappointed