C7 throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default C7 throttle response

Wanted to post my impression of this mod as the search didn't bring up much wrt the C7.

I have owned 2 C5's since 2001, a 2002 A4 (bought used and sold) and a 2002 M6 coupe (bought new and still have). The throttle response on those was always disappointing - I did somewhat remedy it on the M6 which I tuned myself with EFI Live after adding intake/heads/cam/headers/gears. However, the 4.10 diff I added was easily the closest thing to a throttle response cure and best performance bang-for-buck. I swapped in an intake, Yank converter, 3.42 diff and headers on the A4 and those with a little tuning helped to improve the response on that car. Neither approach was a panacea, though.

The 2014 Z51 M7 I recently picked up continued the GM tradition of built-in throttle lag so, needless to say, I was once again in search of a fix. Several C7 and many more C6 owners here have touted the Vitesse Throttle Controller as a plug-n-play solution to sluggish throttle response. Normally, I would have chalked this up to hype but I heavily swayed by the overall enthusiasm of those using it on this board and the low investment required. At 179 bones, not much of a risk if it was a bunch of hoo-ha. So I ordered one . . .

I installed it last week but, due to some other considerations that arose (including the SoCal version of a hurricane ), I wasn't able to road test it until this morning. Installation is simple and straightforward and definitely PnP. Simply remove the plug over the one screw holding the go-pedal down, pull the pedal away from the floorboard, unplug the throttle harness, plug the Vitesse harness in between the stock connectors then replace the go-pedal. I unplugged the user interface box from the controller and ran the harness next to the right side steering column to the center stack and reconnected it to the controller box which I tucked behind the top of the carpet that runs along the side of the tunnel next to the center stack after wrapping the harness with high-temp insulation to protect it from the tunnel heat. I mounted the user box with the supplied adhesive foam next to the steering column on the right side low on the dash but will probably move it a bit higher for better access and to keep my right knee from accidentally hitting it when getting in/out. I made sure the harness next to the go-pedal was securely in place to prevent it becoming disconnected accidentally. Easy install.

So - my performance impressions: I was impressed - I mean, really impressed. You can set the throttle response from ultra-molasses-and-much-slower-than-stock to instantly-sling-the-tires-off-the-rear-wheels-while-you-launch-the-car-into-orbit just by repeatedly pressing one of the appropriate buttons on the user box. Setting A (Economy mode button) decreases the throttle response - it opens the throttle blade to "help you save gas", according to the instructions. EC7 is the most economical mode. Setting B (Sport mode button) increases the throttle response, SP0 being stock all the way to SP9 which the highest setting. You press the button repeatedly to sequentially advance through the mode until it cycles back to SP0.

The change in throttle response is dramatic - I was able to feel a significant difference, even at SP2 and SP3, but at SP5 it was a visceral change to the feel of the car. I drove it at SP7 for most of the 2 hours of driving I did but I did move it up and down to appreciate the range of adjustment. I got used to the new feel quickly but some discretion is definitely called for in colder-temp launches (it's in the 50's here in SoCal ). Even with the new rear MPSS 295's I have, the risk of spinning is multiplied. And the effect is linear and consistent, regardless of the gear or speed. Frankly, it's addictive - there's no going back for me. IMO, this is how GM should deliver the Corvette to it's customers. This is something that can probably be accomplished with tuning software but the extra advantage is that you can effect real-time changes rather than to have to upload new tunes whenever you feel the need for a change. Also, you can retard the response to the point it acts as a sort of mild valet mode.

Anyway, I like it. It's an effective mod almost anyone can apply in a few minutes for not a lot of scratch and it's totally reversible - you can yank with 10 minutes notice if the need arises.

As always, just my $.02
The following 10 users liked this post by Patches:
2FAST4U (05-31-2016), axr6 (12-28-2015), BenCasey (12-28-2015), Enderscz (01-04-2016), Flyingscot (01-01-2016), JerryU (12-29-2015), Jim2003 (01-02-2016), matt3310 (01-01-2016), phantasms (02-03-2016), Rooster OG (01-01-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I don't see a throttle controller for the C7 on their website.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:02 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I don't see a throttle controller for the C7 on their website.
It's there. Have to hit the little scroll arrow on the right of the first page. Took my old eyes a moment to find it. It's that light in color. http://www.vitesse-motorsports.com/t...orvette-c7.htm
The following users liked this post:
2FAST4U (05-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2015, 10:05 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Default Their disclaimer .........

CAUTION:

Engine-related Performance Parts are intended for the experienced driver only. Our Throttle Controllers must not be used on public roads and in some cases may be restricted to closed course competition or Off Road use only.
itaylorm (05-11-2017)
Old 12-28-2015, 10:12 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

The bigger question is, will the ecm be capable of capturing a snapshot per se of the modules use ? If so, it doesn't matter how removable from the system the part is should a issue arise.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
It's there. Have to hit the little scroll arrow on the right of the first page. Took my old eyes a moment to find it. It's that light in color. http://www.vitesse-motorsports.com/t...orvette-c7.htm
Thanks, didn't notice the right/left scroll arrows.

CAUTION:

Engine-related Performance Parts are intended for the experienced driver only. Our Throttle Controllers must not be used on public roads and in some cases may be restricted to closed course competition or Off Road use only.
I saw that. They obviously have legal counsel.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:22 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

very interesting and informative read, thank you. I installed a company's software that promises up a 20 bhp bump, quicker throttle response and skip shift, well let's just say that the skip shift is the only difference that I noticed.

As MikeyTX said, will it be traceable and if it isn't will it void any part of the factory warranty?

Again, great write up, perhaps a few pics of your install process.

Last edited by themonk; 12-28-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

monk, you nailed it ! That is my concern. Their disclaimer is a massive red flag imho.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:28 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

monk, you nailed it ! That is my concern. Their disclaimer is a massive red flag imho.
GM already f'kd us in the bhp department the least they can do is give us decent TR.....
Old 12-28-2015, 10:40 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Good write-up. Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Good question about traceability and it's healthy to question it

First of all, I never recommend anyone to mod/tamper with their car if they're uncomfortble with the possibility of a warranty claim being denied if the mod os found to have caused th failure (Magnuson-Moss Act). Second, virtually every vendor offering performance or other enhancements has disclaimers placing the burden of proof on the buyer/installer.

My understanding is that this product cannot be detected if it is not present on the vehicle at the time of inspection. This may or may not be true but , in the various threads, especially C6 threads, I read, there wasn't a single mention of failure of or failure caused by the Vitesse Controller, nor was there a recounting of a service incident where recorded evidence of the controller use on the car was revealed by a dealer inspection of PCM data.

That said, I will make the disclaimer I should have prefaced my frst post with: I'm not endorsing the use or clams of this product or its manufacturer and in no way recommend the use of this product on/in your vehicle. I am not liable for any damages/losses you may incur due to the installation or use of this product. The descriptions I have provided with respect to this product are purely for entertainment purposes.

I have been pretty heavily modding my Vettes for many years - the C5 I currently have I had torn apart with less than 3k miles on it. So, maybe I'm not the one to ask about warranty risks. However, as mods go, this is one of the least invasive and probably innocuous when compared to the benefit it delivers and to it's detectability when not present.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to email the vendor and inquire about warranty implications, although, I'm sure you'll get the the "offroad use only" response if the vendor knows what's what.

Last edited by Patches; 12-28-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Patches.........Please, post some pictures of where you installed the throttle controller. Is it possible to install the controller inside the center counsel glove box? I bought a Vitesse Throttle Controller, but will have to wait till spring to install it. The C6 section is full of people raving about the throttle controller.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

What exactly are you guys doing that you need more throttle response? Any noticeable increase would only cause wheelspin or damage drivetrain components.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Will this controller work on the Z06 as well?
Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
According to the guys at Vitesse, yes.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:18 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
What exactly are you guys doing that you need more throttle response? Any noticeable increase would only cause wheelspin or damage drivetrain components.
There's a difference between quick, efficient throttle uptake and slamming the pedal to the floor. This controller is all about accurate control and power when you want and need it NOW. Not once today did I feel I was stressing the drivetrain any more than I normally would. If anything, because the power is now more predictable and contollable, I feel I am applying power more smoothly rather than having to meter the pedal on and off to make the car do what I want. I think many want to interpret the use of this type of controller the way they think of a power adder like a supercharger.

To me, this improves the entire C7 driving experience because it makes the driver feel like he/she has better control of the vehicle. It ups the quality of the driving experience, even if you're just commuting or taking a drive on a country road.

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
Yes
Old 12-28-2015, 11:24 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've seen this and the c6 guys loving it, and was curious about it. Have you done anything else to your ride besides this?

Nice write up, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 throttle response

Old 12-29-2015, 07:20 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Patches
Good question about traceability and it's healthy to question it

First of all, I never recommend anyone to mod/tamper with their car if they're uncomfortble with the possibility of a warranty claim being denied if the mod os found to have caused th failure (Magnuson-Moss Act). Second, virtually every vendor offering performance or other enhancements has disclaimers placing the burden of proof on the buyer/installer.

My understanding is that this product cannot be detected if it is not present on the vehicle at the time of inspection. This may or may not be true but , in the various threads, especially C6 threads, I read, there wasn't a single mention of failure of or failure caused by the Vitesse Controller, nor was there a recounting of a service incident where recorded evidence of the controller use on the car was revealed by a dealer inspection of PCM data.

That said, I will make the disclaimer I should have prefaced my frst post with: I'm not endorsing the use or clams of this product or its manufacturer and in no way recommend the use of this product on/in your vehicle. I am not liable for any damages/losses you may incur due to the installation or use of this product. The descriptions I have provided with respect to this product are purely for entertainment purposes.

I have been pretty heavily modding my Vettes for many years - the C5 I currently have I had torn apart with less than 3k miles on it. So, maybe I'm not the one to ask about warranty risks. However, as mods go, this is one of the least invasive and probably innocuous when compared to the benefit it delivers and to it's detectability when not present.

Also, it'd probably be a good idea to email the vendor and inquire about warranty implications, although, I'm sure you'll get the the "offroad use only" response if the vendor knows what's what.
Patches, please understand that the means of tracking electronic devices is way different on the C7 than the C6. The system now records the mileage when changes are sensed, ie: a tune for example. One can no longer swap out the ecm as could be done in the C6. I sincerely hope for your sake that this device never creates an issue while installed on your C7. I for one after reading their disclaimer would not touch it. You will have absolutely no recourse should the need for litigation arise. As Zymurgy stated, they had some damn good legal people write that for them.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Understood, Mike, and my other posts above have warned off those not willing to risk it. Every mod has it's risks, whether it adds minimal or greater possibility of contributing to the failure of another component/system and, as I wrote above, every owner contemplating any mod needs to be informed and consenting to those risks. As I mentioned, I personally decimated my current C5 warranty months after taking delivery back in 2002 with full knowledge that, if the drivetrain blew up when I first started it after installing heads/cam, the onus was on me - and only me - to foot the bill to fix it. I do the same with my C7, as do many of the other C7 owners here - whether they realize it and acknowledge it is another story.

It's also up to each individual owner to own up to their responsibility if something does go wrong as a result of a mod they installed/had installed and they then request repair under warranty. I have read posts here over the years where someone has alluded to removing a mod which was potentially a contributor of a failure to try and mask the source during the service tech's root-cause investigation - this is entirely possible with many pure mechanical or other non-registering type mods. This has been a controversial debate issue here and rages on to this day. However, if the mod is left in place and the dealer identifies it as the cause for failure prematurely without due process, the owner has recourse to request independent review.

Think about many of the mods we take for granted here and consider well within the scope of impunity from warranty failure indictment. Floor mats - what could possibly go wrong? Ask Toyota. A CF engine cover? What if the engine overheated and the service tech identified the CF cover as the source due to insufficient airflow caused by out-of-spec material, shape, thickness, etc. And the examples are almost without limit.

I didn't plan on making this a thread about the warranty implications of the product - everyone here SHOULD be an informed consumer so it's up to each person to decide if they're willing to take on the burden of responsibility. That goes for every single mod ever mentioned on this board. I'm not going to debate the MLM Warranty law application subtleties as I'm not an attorney. Bottom line is, make the decision for yourself. I think we've adequately exposed the potential risk associated with this product now so I'd suggest starting a new thread on the warranty implications of aftermarket/non-sanctioned modifications to covered vehicles if you'd like to expand on the discussion.
Bill17601 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I've seen this and the c6 guys loving it, and was curious about it. Have you done anything else to your ride besides this?

Nice write up, thanks!
Only had the car for a couple of months so the only additions to date are a Blendmount V1 mirror mount and an MGW shifter, both quality mods for a dd. Oh, I did have replace the rear tires almost immediately as the PO had driven the car the way it was meant to be driven.

Quick Reply: C7 throttle response