Sponsored by:

Body Protection Question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Body Protection Question...

Well, I knew it would happen sooner rather than later. Between my gravel drive way and the gravel they toss on the roads up here when the temps plunge down toward freezing, I've picked up a couple of small rock chips on the front of the hood, and one on the back of the drivers side mirror stalk.

What about 3M clear wrap? I'm going to call a couple of auto detail shops down in Corvallis to get some opinions and prices.

What have you guys done to mitigate such problems? In the meantime I'll probably put a tiny dot of touch up paint on all three chips.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Got PP film on the entire front half of the car, and mirrors, the day after I took delivery.

Fill those spots before you get it wrapped or they might leave bubbles over the chip spots.

I thought I was good to go....

Until GM's awesome panel gaps gave me a nice chip off in the paint on the front bumper lol. You can't win dude.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Many on the forum have gone with Xpel Ultimate PPF (myself included). I covered the front bumper, entire hood, full front fenders, mirrors, rocker panels including up to the panel seam behind the doors (replacing the partial factory film in that area).

Another good choice would be 3M Pro. Both Xpel Ultimate and 3M Pro are self-healing PPF. Xpel Ultimate has a longer warranty than 3M Pro.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Thanks all....

I appreciate the input.

Steve
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Based on the comments here on the forum, I had Xpel Ultimate installed on my '15 Impala. Has been on there for about 8 months and has really protected the whole front end of the car.

I do have 3M clear bra on my '03 Vette and it has also done a good job protecting the paint.

Just compare the warranty, cost and ask questions about things like yellowing, peeling, etc. to make sure you make an informed decision.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:07 PM
road_boy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to question the quality of these protection films, but here were some questions that came to mind - For the amount of money to purchase and have these films installed wouldn't it be more efficient to just touch up and eventually repaint for much less than the protective films?

Aesthetically, what about things like the paint fading differently? As well, Isn't one easily able to identify the film while looking at the vehicle at an arm's length?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by road_boy
Not to question the quality of these protection films, but here were some questions that came to mind - For the amount of money to purchase and have these films installed wouldn't it be more efficient to just touch up and eventually repaint for much less than the protective films?

Aesthetically, what about things like the paint fading differently? As well, Isn't one easily able to identify the film while looking at the vehicle at an arm's length?
From the Xpel Ultimate FAQ:
Will XPEL ULTIMATE make the paint underneath the film fade at a different rate?"

No. XPEL ULTIMATE Paint Protection Film allows UV to pass through the film and fade the paint underneath at the same rate as the exposed paint.
The film is invisible (even at less than "arm's length") if entire panels are covered and the edges are wrapped. This way, there are no film edges which is the only way you can tell it is on.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Well, I knew it would happen sooner rather than later. Between my gravel drive way and the gravel they toss on the roads up here when the temps plunge down toward freezing, I've picked up a couple of small rock chips on the front of the hood, and one on the back of the drivers side mirror stalk.

What about 3M clear wrap? I'm going to call a couple of auto detail shops down in Corvallis to get some opinions and prices.

What have you guys done to mitigate such problems? In the meantime I'll probably put a tiny dot of touch up paint on all three chips.

Thanks in advance.
Try Dr.Color Chip instead of the touch-up paint.
The following users liked this post:
AdventurePoser (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 06:33 AM
jdarc1
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Entire car wrapped in Xpel one week after delivery and two chips on the front bumper and windshield.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Curahee

I bought both when I owned a C5. I used the touchup bottle once, then threw it in the trash, horrible match, blotchy, looks like a touch up job. Tried Dr. Colorchip. I didn't think it works as well as their videos show and it takes some tries to figure out how to apply and polish in, but once you figure it out, it's pretty good and way better than the touch up paint. The color match is nearly perfect, the application is a little more difficult than the videos show. I'd rate it about a 8 out of 10, with a 10 being perfect you can never tell their was a chip mark or scratch. I'm not going to bother with a bottle of touch up for the C7, I'm going right to Dr. Colorchip.

Last edited by roadbike56; 01-28-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by road_boy

Getting a front bumper and hood repainted will cost you as much or more than getting the front of the car wrapped with XPel. Second, you wont be wasting your time filling in 1000 paint chips and driving around with a rashed up car that looks like crap, pissed off every time you look at your car.

As in most cases, preventative measures usually end up costing less than repairs. And it keeps it looking new.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 AM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

A couple things to think about. #1 If you go with a wrap make sure you get a good installer. Check other jobs they have done, something I didn't do for my 2016. #2 I have Dr.Colorchip for my '99 and found that it takes many many applications to fill a chip and that's trying many different methods of applying. Also, the paint has a shelf life of a year opened or not. Sealant about 3 years.

Last edited by JohnnyDee; 01-28-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Curahee
Dr.Color Chip is great! I really mean this. Easy to use and does excellent job. I have used it on a couple of different cars and only you would know where those rock chips were. Also I have experience with Scotch 3M clear bra. Its on my C7 2016. It is excellent as I am sure Xpel is.
I live in Portland and got mine done over the river in Vancouver. Excellent work I can vouch for.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Protection Question...

Quick Reply: Body Protection Question...