C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 2016 C7 have the Start/Stop functionality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:33 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
A few facts about this, in that I have used it pretty heavily.

Its generally okay. The car does not get too hot, and it does a good job of regulating the temperature. But, you can feel a change in the A/C as the car sits at a red light. It is nearly instantaneous startup when you take your foot off the brake.

Now for some opinion.
1. They either had to put a much more beefy starter in it, or be prepared to replace the starter eventually. If it is beefier, that's extra weight, but it is non rotational, and should only impact the performance by the extra weight of the starter motor.

2. I don't like the idea of the motor constantly shutting on and off. Irrespective of what anyone who is a proponent of this system will tell you, this does put more stress on parts. It does cause issues with differential heat, with uneven oil, etc.

Is your motor going to break down at 101k miles just after the warranty runs out. Who knows, but I highly doubt it. Manufacturers are not stupid, they have already figured the failure probabilities out, long before they started installing these things.

But, it will increase wear on your motor, battery, electrical system, oil system, brakes, everything over the life of your car. If you plan on keeping the car for 3 years and then upgrading or trading it in, who cares. If you plan to keep it for 20 years and put 350k miles on it, you may want to turn it off. Lastly, romping on the throttle a few times will likely be just as damaging and stressful as the start stop. Now being that the fuel pumps on the Z06 (and I assume the base c7) are mechanical, I have no idea how long they hold pressure when the car is shut off.
If one gets 350,000 miles on a Corvette engine, he's not driving it "as intended" in the first place.

Jimmy

PS. I suppose it's possible (350,000 miles) but these are the same guys that got 35,000 miles out of their OEM Goodyears on their C6's!

Last edited by jimmyb; 02-01-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

The best start stop system I have experienced is the MB system. It is instantaneous on start and you cant tell when it is running, or off...excellent system.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:21 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Geez, people, it's not that big a deal. If you don't want it, turn it off. If you want better MPG when stuck in traffic, turn it on. It's not like you won't have a choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by meyerweb:
Glen e (02-01-2016), Len44 (10-11-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 03:01 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
Here is my concern: At some point EPA and/or CARB is going to note that CAGS, AFM, and potentially start/stop systems (all of which are CAFE-compliance driven) are easily disabled or overridden. They will conclude that this invalidates the CAFE certification numbers, and therefore claim that by allowing these technologies to be easily defeated, the OEM is in effect providing a defeat device as defined by the Clean Air Act. Even a hint of this will scare the OEMs into making these systems impossible to turn off and nearly impossible to disable. I hope I'm wrong.
Hasn't caused that to happen with the 1st to 4th forced shift eliminator I installed on my the last several Vetts! I can see the system being forced back on each start like eliminating nannies or rev match activation, but pushing a button is no big deal!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:49 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Geez, people, it's not that big a deal. If you don't want it, turn it off. If you want better MPG when stuck in traffic, turn it on. It's not like you won't have a choice.
Wha? And not debate meaningless stupid chit on an internet forum during work hours!?

Please! Have some humanity!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 AM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife's 2016 ATS4 is equipped with it. Salesman told us immediately to just turn it off when driving, as it really doesn't save squat but does put excessive wear and tear on the starter and other components. Just passing along what he told us ...
Old 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

If a salesman said it it must be true.

Start/stop is completely seamless. It doesn't start operating until the engine is warm, so starts are instantaneous. There is no extra wear on the engine, and the starters are heavier-duty components, which will likely last longer than the rest of the car will. The direct injection in the LT1 is harder on starters than start/stop because it has to crank longer to build up fuel pressure in the system.

I have it in on my Jeep Cherokee, my wife has it on her MB C-300, and I had it on my Jaguar F-Type. We could turn it off, but after awhile we learned to like it. It's neither a nuisance, nor an inconvenience unless you're just one of those people who are easily annoyed by trivial little things. It doesn't delay your departure from a stop even a millisecond because it restarts quicker than you can transfer your foot from brake to throttle.

In the not-too-distant future, the button to turn it off will disappear w/ tightening CAFE regulations. You should be happy manufacturers are figuring out ways to keep delivering high HP engines within the CAFE regs, because at some point the only alternative will be 4-bangers and electrics. It continually boggles my mind that folks completely ignore the political realities of our time and take shots at manufacturers who are doing an incredible job pumping out incredible products, despite tough regulations.

And BTW, start/stop has been incorporated on manual transmissions. The Jaguar F-Type manual has start/stop.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-11-2016 at 12:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Glen e (10-11-2016), Len44 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Studies show now (BMW) its worth 4-6 pct savings, and in the future when they tweak it, it'll get 9-11 pct savings. (AAA)... that's huge.....looked at it another way, on 100 gals of gas, you save 10 bucks, that's the start of a bar tab.

People are frantic about this, but as foosh says, live with it and you get over the paranoia.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Glen e:
Foosh (10-11-2016), Len44 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Glen,

You're absolutely correct. One of the "tweaks" is that the "off button will disappear. That will become necessary as the testing for fuel economy ratings is continually tweaked to mimic "real world" conditions. The "off" button is not unlike VW's software to cheat on emissions tests if you think about it.

The regulators will want cars tested as they are usually operated, which means many drivers turn start/stop off. Once that happens, manufacturers will have no choice but to eliminate it.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Must say, I don't understand all the concerns. It represents some pretty darn good engineering. And it has been around for several years. Heck even our Honda Civic Hybrid had it for the 2003 MY, and it worked pretty darn good even then. Never could beat the restart no matter how hard I tried to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator before it restarted.

Even better implementation in Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan Hybrids in 2010 MY. Car always stayed at set temperature at stoplights, engine automatically restarting if needed. Start-Stop did not function if below about 40F.

Great technology. I would welcome it on any car.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:14 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Foosh

Start/stop is completely seamless. It doesn't start operating until the engine is warm, so starts are instantaneous. There is no extra wear on the engine, and the starters are heavier-duty components, which will likely last longer than the rest of the car will. The direct injection in the LT1 is harder on starters than start/stop because it has to crank longer to build up fuel pressure in the system.

I have it in on my Jeep Cherokee, my wife has it on her MB C-300, and I had it on my Jaguar F-Type. We could turn it off, but after awhile we learned to like it. It's neither a nuisance, nor an inconvenience unless you're just one of those people who are easily annoyed by trivial little things. It doesn't delay your departure from a stop even a millisecond because it restarts quicker than you can transfer your foot from brake to throttle.

In the not-too-distant future, the button to turn it off will disappear w/ tightening CAFE regulations. You should be happy manufacturers are figuring out ways to keep delivering high HP engines within the CAFE regs, because at some point the only alternative will be 4-bangers and electrics. It continually boggles my mind that folks completely ignore the political realities of our time and take shots at manufacturers who are doing an incredible job pumping out incredible products, despite tough regulations.

And BTW, start/stop has been incorporated on manual transmissions. The Jaguar F-Type manual has start/stop.
I've been shopping for a new '17 DD to replace my '14 DD. I have been considering an Audi A4/A6 or MB C300, both with turbo 4s that use premium gas that's around $0.70/gal more than reg around Philly, Pa. No big deal for my C7 but I put a lot of miles on my DD so about $10-15/week more. At least in both the start/stop can be turned off but after driving each one recently it truly is transparent. Now I've included the new '17 Buick LaCrosse Premium to the mix and have driven one several times. It too is transparent but can not be turned off. However, it uses regular gas thus the weekly savings will be even greater. I know it's not quite as nice as the other two but should satisfy as a DD and is made in America.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 01:55 PM
atvBob
Racer

Because all salespersons are idiots, right?

Start/stop is completely seamless.
For the average driver, they will see no appreciable difference in mileage. If and I repeat IF they drive with the A/C off, they might see a couple percent better fuel economy. But who drives with no A/C in the non-winter months? And then you've got the added cost, wear and/or repair/replace of bigger/different battery, electric cooling pumps, extra anti-friction coatings on cranks and rods, heavier duty starter, etc.

In the not-too-distant future, the button to turn it off will disappear w/ tightening CAFE regulations.
The effects of stop-start systems are NOT baked into the EPA fuel economy estimates for the very cars that use such systems, so that dog don't hunt. This is per Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing for Edmunds.com.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Your post is nonsense.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:57 PM
atvBob
Racer

Glen,

You're absolutely correct. One of the "tweaks" is that the "off button will disappear. That will become necessary as the testing for fuel economy ratings is continually tweaked to mimic "real world" conditions. The "off" button is not unlike VW's software to cheat on emissions tests if you think about it.

The regulators will want cars tested as they are usually operated, which means many drivers turn start/stop off. Once that happens, manufacturers will have no choice but to eliminate it.
As I stated earlier, the effects of stop-start systems are NOT baked into the EPA fuel economy estimates for the very cars that use such systems, so that dog don't hunt. This is per Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing for Edmunds.com.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:32 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Len44
Must say, I don't understand all the concerns. It represents some pretty darn good engineering. And it has been around for several years. Heck even our Honda Civic Hybrid had it for the 2003 MY, and it worked pretty darn good even then. Never could beat the restart no matter how hard I tried to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator before it restarted.

Even better implementation in Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan Hybrids in 2010 MY. Car always stayed at set temperature at stoplights, engine automatically restarting if needed. Start-Stop did not function if below about 40F.

Great technology. I would welcome it on any car.
well intergrated in our BMW SUV. Can hardly tell when it starts. Better than my buddies new Volve. On average 17% of fuel is wasted idling why not eliminate some of that wast.

Yep I can shut it off buy why.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:49 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by atvBob
Because all salespersons are idiots, right?

For the average driver, they will see no appreciable difference in mileage. If and I repeat IF they drive with the A/C off, they might see a couple percent better fuel economy. But who drives with no A/C in the non-winter months? And then you've got the added cost, wear and/or repair/replace of bigger/different battery, electric cooling pumps, extra anti-friction coatings on cranks and rods, heavier duty starter, etc.

The effects of stop-start systems are NOT baked into the EPA fuel economy estimates for the very cars that use such systems, so that dog don't hunt. This is per Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing for Edmunds.com.
He's about as effective as Al Gore imho.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

^Less.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the 2016 C7 have the Start/Stop functionality?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:15 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Len44
^Less.
Omg ....... Now that is some serious chit bro.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by atvBob
Here is what Dan Edmunds said in an article, which is the opposite of what you implied. He did use the term "aren't baked in," but what he meant was the EPA test underestimates the amount of fuel they save.

"How Much Can You Save?

It turns out the effects of stop-start systems aren't baked into the EPA fuel economy estimates for the very cars that use such systems. The official city test pattern has plenty of stops, but there's not nearly as much idle time as many of us deal with every day. It's entirely possible that a stop-start car could exceed its own city mpg rating with the system engaged.

The engineers we asked about potential fuel savings always spoke in terms of a range of 3-10 percent, with some venturing as high as 12 percent. The wide span accounts for the variety of driving conditions out there. People who pause briefly at four-way stops have less to gain than those who sit idle at numerous long signals. The longer you sit, the more you save.

It boils down to this. If your car usually manages 20 mpg in the city, it could earn 22 or 23 mpg if it had a stop-start system.
"

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...save-fuel.html
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Glen e (10-11-2016), JerryU (10-11-2016), Len44 (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:46 PM
jmmoh
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Experienced it on a Malibu loaner, it was seemless. Kinda liked it

Quick Reply: Does the 2016 C7 have the Start/Stop functionality?