Sponsored by:

I got screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Dpalmerjr
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I got screwed!

Well guys I finally traded the good ole c6 in for a 2016 torch red stingray with all the bells and whistles. Did a test drive and went through car and a few hours later I was ready to leave the dealership. I ended up leaving there around 630pm Saturday night and I was last person there so they were closing and waiting for me. Got in my car and started driving. Literally ten minutes down the road my car **** a brick. Transmission malfunction light came on and the car would not shift or go over 30 mph. Called my saleman and he didn't answer so I drove home very carefully.i called the next day and they said have it towed to dealership. Now waiting to see what the problem is. Brand new car with 2 miles on it and this happens. I can't even believe my luck. Corvette technician said they are ripping apart the car and it might have tranny problems. So I called the owner of dealership and said I want a different vette and I am now waiting to hear back from him. Just my luck lol
Old 02-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

Had the same thing happen to a friend of mine when he drove his brand new Mercedes 500 home. They fixed it but he never had the same feeling for that car. Point is, it can happen with any car. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That sucks. I hope they fix it to your satisfaction! Good luck!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:19 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I would not hold my breath for a new car. They will just fix yours most likely. Welcome to the club. While those of us that have issues are in the minority, it's very disappointing starting off with a car that needs work.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

My state Minnesota has a three day period after a sale when you can bring the car back for any reason and cancel the sale. Does your state have that rule in place?
I totally understand your frustration and would not feel comfortable with the car even if it was repaired.
Good luck!
Old 02-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Dpalmerjr
Cruising

Originally Posted by harry2
My state Minnesota has a three day period after a sale when you can bring the car back for any reason and cancel the sale. Does your state have that rule in place?
I totally understand your frustration and would not feel comfortable with the car even if it was repaired.
Good luck!
Actually talked to a friend who sells cars and he told I have three days and that does exist so I talked to dealer/owner and he said he will make it up to me either with money back or sell me a new car depending on total damages to car. I'm calm but frustrated and not comfortable with it. This totally killed the excitement for the new vette. Now I'm just over everything haha
Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Many people think there is a 3 return period on cars due to the federal cooling off period of 3 days for certain items. However, the federal law only covers things sold in home or outside of a place of business and does not apply to automobiles.

I'm not sure if any state has a 3 day period, I don't believe so. Minnesota does not.

http://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/H...ws/Default.asp

http://www.mada.org/userfiles/fck/fi...tsBulletin.pdf

Some dealers may provide this, but it is outside of federal or state laws.

Either way it is great news that the dealer is working with the OP, as should be the case when a car has major problems immediately leaving the dealership. I hope the process continues to go well.

Last edited by z28lt1; 02-09-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added MN state link
Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Electronics usually go quick if they are going to go , could be just the TCM is wonky or saw something it didn't like and went into safety mode. I would not jump to conclusions.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by harry2
My state Minnesota has a three day period after a sale when you can bring the car back for any reason and cancel the sale.
The Three-Day Cooling-Off Law does not apply when you buy a vehicle.
http://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/p...gOffPeriod.asp

Originally Posted by Dpalmerjr
Actually talked to a friend who sells cars and he told I have three days and that does exist...
Now hear this: The three-day Cooling-off rule does NOT apply to car purchases! This is the most prevalent and prevailing consumer myth of all time. People think you can buy a car, drive it around for three days and then waltz back to the dealership and return it. WRONG! Car sales are final. Once you sign on the dotted line, the car is yours. Period.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/day-c...ry?id=28176731
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I feel for you brother. Mine did the same with 100 miles on the clock on the first long drive I took.

Here is Florida we have the 3 day cancel option. Your time is about up if you have that. I could not exercise that as the car sat for a week before I had troubles.

GM eventually replaced the transmission even though only the TCM was bad. The completed it the last day before it qualified for Florida Lemon Law because there were no spare replacement transmissions and when they found one they shipped it by truck instead of air freight. The good news it was fixed an am am very happy with it.

Do a search and look for all the A8 tranny problem threads - there are TONS - and make sure you get the NEW design torque converter that just came out if you cannot cancel the contract. If not, make sure you keep a written log of when things occurred and get everything in writing so you have the proper documentation in case you eventually have to lemon law it according to the rules in your state.

It sure is a bummer that I got my first brand new $80K vette and it fell apart so I know exactly how you feel. I actually called the GM CEO office and they opened an incident with some special customer care. It is not the regular GM customer care. At the end I got a $1500 certificate for all the aggravation. Personally, I would have rather not gone through all this.

I called the dealer that I bought the car from but since he was distant and not servicing my issue and I already had cases open with GM is was not receptive to swapping the car out. But he told me he would have swapped it out right away if I had called him first and serviced it with him 5 hours distance. Said he had swapped out a Z06 that week. Probably

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-09-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Dpalmerjr
Cruising

I never said its a law or anything. I simply talked to someone who sells cars and he stated that. I thought returning a car after three days was a crazy law. He said sometimes dealers with work with you and that is what the dealer is doing with me.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flame Red

Here is Florida we have the 3 day cancel option. Your time is about up if you have that. I could not exercise that as the car sat for a week before I had troubles.
Please everyone, lets not keep posting about laws that don't exist. See page 6 in bold letters.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/safetytips/PDFs/BuyingVehicle.pdf

The OP's dealer is working with him and many dealers will. But there is no legal right here other than the warranty at this point in time unless the dealer is kind enough to put in writing their own policy. Even in FL and MN.
The following 3 users liked this post by z28lt1:
Motohead279 (02-09-2016), Red C8 of Jax (02-09-2016), Satanspawn (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
Electronics usually go quick if they are going to go , could be just the TCM is wonky or saw something it didn't like and went into safety mode. I would not jump to conclusions.
there's been a few posts regarding just that and the car goes into Limp Mode to prevent damage.
Sometimes just shutting everything down and restarting the car clears the problem.
In one case it was just a loose Ground connection from one of the modules and the dealer tightened it and all was well.
OP, hope it's nothing serious and everything works out for you.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:48 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Take a deep breath. Warranty.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:59 PM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I know a bunch of us have opted for the Museum delivery but the description said that you were the first person to crank the car. REALLY? I want this sort of defect to be discovered by the plant or the dealer. Did I just read it incorrectly? Anyone else feel the same if this is true? Did this member's car get tested along the line by anything but a computer jig??
Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by felkebg
I know a bunch of us have opted for the Museum delivery but the description said that you were the first person to crank the car. REALLY? I want this sort of defect to be discovered by the plant or the dealer. Did I just read it incorrectly? Anyone else feel the same if this is true? Did this member's car get tested along the line by anything but a computer jig??
I didn't see anyone note that this was the first time the car got cranked. They start them at the plant. They drive them to a pickup area. Drive them on the truck. Drive them off the truck to the dealers lot, and maybe a few times in between depending upon delivery mode and location The dealer drove it into the service area to prep the car. The car had been cranked a number of times. EDIT: if you mean museum delivery, they still get started to move around and still get delivered by truck. You can be the one to start the car at the plant if you pay to watch your car be built.

Last edited by z28lt1; 02-09-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I got screwed!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:17 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpalmerjr
Well guys I finally traded the good ole c6 in for a 2016 torch red stingray with all the bells and whistles. Did a test drive and went through car and a few hours later I was ready to leave the dealership. I ended up leaving there around 630pm Saturday night and I was last person there so they were closing and waiting for me. Got in my car and started driving. Literally ten minutes down the road my car **** a brick. Transmission malfunction light came on and the car would not shift or go over 30 mph. Called my saleman and he didn't answer so I drove home very carefully.i called the next day and they said have it towed to dealership. Now waiting to see what the problem is. Brand new car with 2 miles on it and this happens. I can't even believe my luck. Corvette technician said they are ripping apart the car and it might have tranny problems. So I called the owner of dealership and said I want a different vette and I am now waiting to hear back from him. Just my luck lol
just great ...my opinion ..get rid of the car ..even if it costs you ...

if you must have a new C7 wait 5 months and order a '17
Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

That's a horrible start, but at least you know it WILL be taken care of.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Dpalmerjr
Cruising

Well just an update for anyone reading. I just got off the phone with the dealer and the car will need a new transmission upon other things. Don't know how this happend as I was first person to drive it judging by the mileage. But, the owner/dealer stated that this has never happend before. GM is going to take the car back and I will be getting another one from the dealership with a discount so at least my luck has changed lol. All my ranting actually did something for once.
The following users liked this post:
speedlink (02-10-2016)

Quick Reply: I got screwed!