Sponsored by:

Convertibles: Why not more popular?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:15 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I honestly think the C7 convertible looks better than the coupe with the top up or down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:auto :
Totally Agree with you....

Last edited by 1KULC7; 02-23-2016 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dpb (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Coupes are for chickens.......

Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Johniorio4
I think the general consensus is that with the coupe you get the best of both worlds: a good looking hard top when the targa is on and a convertible (almost) when it is removed.

If the coupe was a straight up hardtop you might see more convertibles as those on the edge may have picked to go vert instead.

Though in my opinion the C7 is one of the best looking convertibles i've seen.

I'm not really a soft top vert guy, but the C7 is probably the first time I would consider buying one.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:36 AM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by k_arnold
Wow, your open minded gf is a real peach. You evidently feel the same way based on your first sentence. I'm not sure what made you both such a hateful people, but to say that there is "one demographic, and on demographic only....period...at least in the Corvette's case" shows a real lack of intelligence.

How do you know what motivates a person to buy the car that they do?
Please enlighten us! This is evidently a "one size fits all" kind of car in your mind.
Lighten up Francis.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 AM
NMC7
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I almost always have a covertitible or targa top as my third car. I traded a BMW 335 hardtop convertible on my 2016 C7 convertible. I had a C5 convertible the first year they came out in 1998. Here in New Mexico you can drive with the top down or off virtually year-round. I had been window shopping nothing but C7 coupes and when I started to get more serious about buying I took my wife to the dealership with me to look at a red coupe. We looked over the coupe which was great. We had the dealer remove the roof panel to check out the ease of opening the car up. However, sitting on the dealer floor was a stunning Arctic white convertible with the top down. It was love at first site for my wife. No matter how hard I tried to extol the virtues of the coupe she couldn't get the convertible out of her head. I have to admit looking at the two cars side by side on the dealership floor, the convertible was more attention getting. We drove home that day in the convertible and I have to say I'm completely satisfied. My C7 is strictly a weekend cruiser. If I want to get a adrenaline rush or track day, I take out my BMW S1000RR. I find the relative rarity of the convertible a bonus. I see very few on the road around here which only makes the convertible that much more exotic. Both configurations are great. It's nice to have choices.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:21 AM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Is the rear visibility of the vert with the top up better than the coupe? I consider the poor rear visibility of the coupe as one of its less than desirable features. I am not considering the rear camera in this regard.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:12 AM
NMC7
Advanced

Rear visibility in the convertible when backing up with the top up isn't great and the camera helps. I don't recall enough about my test drive of the coupe to provide a comparison of the two.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:29 AM
airbornnne1
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dealer lot

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Convertible's don't sell as many, plus the price is 5K more than the coupe. It's the same across the brands. You won't find as many Mustang convertibles on Ford lots as you do coupes. You either want a convertible or you don't, and there isn't as many that do than don't. There isn't much in between.

I understand the question as all I drive is a Corvette convertible, and it's quite difficult to find one optioned the way I want on a dealers lot.
I got my 16 ZO6 Convertible fully optioned from a dealer (Sting Ray Chevy) Lot. There were 2. You are right about being a rare find. I was thrilled!

Last edited by airbornnne1; 02-23-2016 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Spelling again... Guess I should learn to proof read :)
Rebel Yell (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 05:10 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,118 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Wow those Z06 verts look fantastic guys!!!! I hope to get a low mileage used one in a few years or so. Awesome looking vettes!!!

What I hope to get in a few years or so if the money is right!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 02-23-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:37 AM
NMC7
Advanced

Originally Posted by airbornnne1
I got my 16 ZO6 Convertible fully optioned from a dealer (Sting Ray Chevy) Lot. There were 2. You are right about being a rare find. I was thrilled!
There are three Chevy dealers in my town. Only one had any convertibles in stock and that one had two. I bought mine back in November leaving only one left for sale. As of right now, it's still the only new C7 convertible available in town.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:44 AM
airbornnne1
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default old daya

Originally Posted by raylo
Ever had a convertible? They are noisier, have less space, and are less secure... Why deal with all that when you can have the best of both worlds with a coupe w/removable top... and for less $$?

Your living in the past my friend..... The C7 has amazing sound barriers. So much so that I find myself dropping the top just so I can enjoy the exhaust sounds of my Z06 when I get on it. It really is that good....
RippieC4 (03-05-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:55 AM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

I work everyday with one of my sons.

For lunch if the sun is out I get to drive.<GRIN>

If its raining he drives.

IMO the best choice would be to own one of each and let the weather decide for you. Both cars are fantastic.

Eyeballing the C7 Z06 verts posted on this thread and visualizing sitting in the drivers seat... I agree that the Coupe looks better than a vert with the top up... But the Vert with the top down is pure sex! The tiny trunk in the C7 Vert makes me laugh, the coupe makes way more sense for a trip to any store. In the convertible always grab a baby cart so you can fit everything.

In the past I never considered owning a Corvette as I allowed the mean labels people attach to owners keep me away. If people think bad things about me because of my car at this point in my life I don't care.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Push a button and 20 seconds later my "hardtop" becomes a convertible, push the button again and 20 seconds later my convertible becomes a "hardtop". In my mind nothing beats a convertible for cruising, especially on a warm night.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

GM probably takes the data from the cars ordered, then uses the percentage rate for the production of convertibles to send out to the dealer lots.

The only reason I have ever put the top up on any of the convertibles I've owned is because of rain, and the manual says not to leave them down all the time.

The C7 convertible is stunning with the top down, and I would own one, but after forty+ years of working, and playing in the sun. I just don't need the temptation for more sun exposure, so easily at hand.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I love convertibles so much that if they stopped making a new Corvette convertible I would buy a older model or generation Corvette rather than drive a coupe!

This is all I has ever had is a conv other than one vette. my c5 c2 & c7 now are all conv and love them... To each his on I say. Plus if you look at the book the conv cost more than a coupe's but I do like the looks of the c7 more so than any of the others other than the c2..
Old 02-23-2016, 08:34 AM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Nothing against convertibles if you love them...but in my opinion there's no way a convertible C7 looks as good as a coupe. From a distance a C7 and C6 convertible can be hard to distinguish from each other, especially from the side view.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
Nothing against convertibles if you love them...but in my opinion there's no way a convertible C7 looks as good as a coupe. From a distance a C7 and C6 convertible can be hard to distinguish from each other, especially from the side view.
I beg to differ, but to each their own. My 2nd convertible, 1st being a 2013 NRB with blue top. The 2016 Z51 Blade Silver metallic with blue top speaks for itself.
Attached Images  

Last edited by capecodvette; 02-23-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Dollartree (02-25-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Convertibles: Why not more popular?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:51 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Having had both in the C6, I enjoyed the convertible much more/
Old 02-23-2016, 09:13 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by white90conv
Is the rear visibility of the vert with the top up better than the coupe? I consider the poor rear visibility of the coupe as one of its less than desirable features. I am not considering the rear camera in this regard.
My dad has a coupe so I've driven both extensively. Vert seems to have a marginally better view straight back. Coupe seems to have smaller blind spots, particularly at your 4-5 o'clock, which makes it a tiny bit easier to negotiate heavy traffic. Not a significant difference between the two though.

As already mentioned, you will get use to the backup camera quickly, and with either flavor you're gonna be fine tuning your mirrors a bit more than average.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Fore58
This topic is getting hilarious. I don't think the guys in Florida feel the same.
Funny you say that

Besides me feeling that the lines are accentuated more on the coupe than the convertible, and the removable top offering the best of both worlds, I look at a coupe and see an exotic sports car- sleek and sexy. And owning and driving a convertible in FL, for me at least, puts the vert into the "seasonal" category: just too darn hot during summer days and bug-infested during summer evenings.

I don't feel that way about the C2 Vettes, though- convertible is a must. Maybe because my '66 is not driven so much.

Quick Reply: Convertibles: Why not more popular?