C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners with problematic A8's, please look within. (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnmower7200
There are dozens of identical posts about this transmission over at the Silverado/Sierra forum at GM-Trucks.com.

Glad I have a perfectly-functioning 6L80 in my Silverado.

If my intentions to buy a C7 come about as expected, it's gonna have a manual trans.
Its really starting to make me mad and dislike the car now.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully the updates will fix the problems. If not, then have them replace it.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Wow I just went to one of the Cadillac forums and found thread upon thread of the same issues with the A8 in the Cadillacs as well.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Black&White
Using it in drive. At low speeds 10mph or less the trans will fully un couple like putting the car in netural causing the engine to rev then just drop back in first when ever it wants to with a flying leap forward. Im getting scared to drive it. You never know when its going to happen.
Hmmm - that is not exactly the downshift problem I and many others experienced before reflash. The common case I'll describe like this - going slow, like 10mph or less, the tranny will suddenly violently downshift into first and take a flying leap forward. I never experienced any going into neutral.

I still think GM engineering will want to try the reflash first as it is simple and cheap to do. Frustrating for you if it does not work. Then they will go the replacement route. Hopefully, replacement A8's are back in stock now. Make sure they air freight the replacement instead of accidentally shipping it by truck so it does not add a week to your shop visit.

I had one of the best techs in Central Florida swap mine in a day and he did a perfect job. See if your tech has done it before and you should have the same experience.

I know how frustrating this is, believe me - I feel for you brother. Also check your lemon laws and document everything just in case. GM got mine done on the last day before I qualified to lemon it.

Oh yes, and wait until you see how GM comps you. They will have XM offer to add two months of service for free - if you agree to let XM uncontrollably spam your email! I declined and complained to GM but got no response of course.

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-02-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Dunno, seems like many of the new trannies (not just GM) with more than six speeds seem to display some type of odd behavior when operated at slower speeds.

Mine has displayed the "Lurch" at parking lot speed after some quick use of the brake and gas pedal. Happened once, but am very mindful of this and find myself driving this car differently than others because of it.

Thankfully we have the longer drive train warranty of the 2015's.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
Sorry everyone but I can't help it.I have never liked an automatic transmission.I have felt funny things about them in every one I've driven.This will probably be my last M7.Driverless
Cars coming on strong.Sorry for the slight hijack.
Someone revoke this guy's Car Enthusiast badge please. lol. JK.

Yeah, Driverless cars are coming, I will never own one
Old 07-02-2015, 01:34 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

I should hopefully be taking delivery of my car in the next few days.
So, if it was built 6/8, wouldn't the transmission flash already been done when being manufactured in Bowling Green? Or is it done by the dealer while they are prepping the car?

The one that says it should be done before delivery? I cant seem to find it.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
I should hopefully be taking delivery of my car in the next few days.
So, if it was built 6/8, wouldn't the transmission flash already been done when being manufactured in Bowling Green? Or is it done by the dealer while they are prepping the car?
I should think you would have the latest software.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

I would hope so, but you never know with GM!!!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Black&White
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
I would hope so, but you never know with GM!!!
Trust me after a few days of driving you will know~ ...You might want to make an appointment with your Chiropractor in advance just in case you get one of the neck snapping down shifts!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

HA HA!! Yeah, I've heard about some of those buckwild crazy shifts as it is learning.

Not really allowed to go past 4000 rpm the first 500 miles during the break-in period, which will be SOOOO hard.
So, let's say you are going 50mph and drop it down 2 gears- would it exceed 4000 rpm?

Trust me after a few days of driving you will know~ ...You might want to make an appointment with your Chiropractor in advance just in case you get one of the neck snapping down shifts!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

TSB text is here...

http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics....rolet-corvette
Old 07-02-2015, 06:20 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Went to service department yesterday to see about getting the flash up-date, was told it would not be recommended to do unless you are having a problem because of relearning. So I may just leave it as-is unless a problem begins. The transmission has not given me any problem and it was a early build 09-15-14.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:40 AM
Black&White
Drifting

Default Now On Day 3 For Transmission Re Program and PDR Update Chevy Service Sux!

Im now on Day 3 with no end in sight. Today Service writer calls and starts grilling me as to why I want the software updated for the radio and climate control. Im like DUH because its been replaced with a newer and better version and needs to be updated. Like its coming out of his pocket. God I hate Chevrolet!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like you have a crappy dealer... Need a dealer upgrade!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:48 AM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Went in last week and was recommended not to do it after he talked to the Technician. Was then asked why did I want it updated so I said to improve the drivability and that it was a early build 15, the service writer then said if you are not having any problem that it would be best not to do it because of the relearning. They had one in the past and showed no noticeable improvement. So now I have 3100 miles on the car with no issues with the radio, transmission, A/C or anything. Don't know if I should have something fixed that has no problem / issue with or leave it as-is.

Get notified of new replies

To Owners with problematic A8's, please look within. (Merged Threads)

Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by C2367
Went in last week and was recommended not to do it after he talked to the Technician. Was then asked why did I want it updated so I said to improve the drivability and that it was a early build 15, the service writer then said if you are not having any problem that it would be best not to do it because of the relearning. They had one in the past and showed no noticeable improvement. So now I have 3100 miles on the car with no issues with the radio, transmission, A/C or anything. Don't know if I should have something fixed that has no problem / issue with or leave it as-is.
The bigger question is why can't those updates just come down and install themselves like they do on computer systems / phones. They are updating programs on an OS. It's not like this is rocket science. Major corporations (i.e. financial institutions) take OS updates from MS all the time. I think NASDAQ taking a security fix is much more serious than doing an over the air update to the Corvette application software. Seems archaic to take this to a dealer and waste a boatload of time to then argue with someone that clearly doesn't want to do the upgrade. I would ask the service tech if he takes security fixes for his iOS, Android or Windows device. Clearly nothing has gone wrong with those devices now and taking the update clearly doesn't show any behavioral differences at that point. The freaking point of the update is to resolve problems that you MIGHT NOT HAVE encountered yet.

Just pisses me off when morons provided crappy customer service. It's not like this is a $5K car or something. We paid good $ for it and it shouldn't be a process to get someone to update the damn car when GM has issued a service update.

I agree with the above post. You need a dealer upgrade. I would talk to the service manager and say if he would like to continue to get service work from you that they just need to do the stuff that GM has available for your car. Otherwise you will be happy to take your business and potentially your next Corvette purchase to someone that understand customer service!

Sigh.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by tunaman
Sounds like you have a crappy dealer... Need a dealer upgrade!
Sure would be nice if Chevy upgraded their customer service too.

And kevincol - very well said.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:51 AM
99ta316
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

My guess is that GM is not paying them to just AD HOC the updates. They will only update if the item you have requires service that they can bill back to either GM or you. Without something to bill back they probably don't want to burn up a few hours of the techs time with babysitting your updates to make sure it doesn't bomb. Just my guess.

But there needs to be a better way to get these updates, but working with computers I know that there is always a handful of problem devices that seem to hate being updated. So for 99.9% of the cars the updates would go smooth. Then you are going to get that .1% that just refuses and/or dies.

Quick Reply: Owners with problematic A8's, please look within. (Merged Threads)