Run flat tire leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Fr8flyer
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run flat tire leak

Looking for some guidance:
I have no experience with run flat tires and just discovered a leak in one of the fronts. Instrument cluster flashed 20psi, I pulled over and saw a nail in the middle of the tread.
I drove the car about 5 miles, filled the tire with air and left it parked for 4 hours. When I came back it was down to 9psi. I filled it again and drove 10 miles home. Parked it with it down to 26 psi and there it sits.

Can this tire be plugged or is a replacement required?

If it can be plugged, will leaving the leaky tire overnight do any damage? I'm sure it will be down to 0psi by morning when I can fill it and take to the tire shop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Fr8flyer
I have no experience with run flat tires and just discovered a leak in one of the fronts. Instrument cluster flashed 20psi, I pulled over and saw a nail in the middle of the tread.
I drove the car about 5 miles, filled the tire with air and left it parked for 4 hours. When I came back it was down to 9psi. I filled it again and drove 10 miles home. Parked it with it down to 26 psi and there it sits.

If it can be plugged, will leaving the leaky tire overnight do any damage? I'm sure it will be down to 0psi by morning when I can fill it and take to the tire shop.

Normally, with a nail in the middle, it can be repaired. Take it to Michelin. Leaving it overnight should not be a problem.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Assuming there is no internal structural damage, yes it can be repaired. The only proper repair is a combination plug/patch.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

How come I never get so lucky?
I've had 4 or 5 flats in past 20 years, and they have all been too close to the sidewall to be repaired.
Good for you

Last edited by L8ter; 03-24-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Fr8flyer
Cruising

Originally Posted by L8ter
How come I never get so lucky?
I've had 4 or 5 flats in past 20 years, and they have all been too close to the sidewall to be repaired.
Good for you
Thanks, all! I will sleep much better this evening.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:18 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

On another thread a forum member said to be advised that the plugged tire is no longer rated at the same speed rating. Normal driving no problem but tracking it should give you some pause I would think.....
Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Normally, with a nail in the middle, it can be repaired. Take it to Michelin. Leaving it overnight should not be a problem.
Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Assuming there is no internal structural damage, yes it can be repaired. The only proper repair is a combination plug/patch.

A

Originally Posted by Fr8flyer

A plug patch is what is needed. Being in the middle is no problem, if you did not drive on it when there was no pressure. You did not. I would be sure you pump it up to ~40 pounds before leaving for the tire shop. If they see zero pressure they may try to sell you a new tire. Patch works fine.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-25-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:01 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't see your location; take it to a Discount Tire if one around you. They have fixed several of my runflat leaks over the years. And for free. Don't assume just any tire place can dismount and remount a runflat. sometimes a dealer can or cannot do it.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Fr8flyer
Cruising

Thanks again for all the responses. The info I received was invaluable since I was short on time to research my issue as well as the proper repair facility. I wound up taking it to the Michelin dealer this morning. They said they don't plug, but only patch the run flats.
Charged me $50 because "run flats take longer than conventional tires" The receipt charged for a patch/plug. Looks like it's all working out and a lot better than a new tire!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

And as far as reducing the speed rating, can you live with steady 135 mph? I'm thinking yes.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flat tire leak

Quick Reply: Run flat tire leak