C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman to Corvette or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 PM
123vette456
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Porsche Cayman to Corvette or vice versa?

I've owned a lot of Corvettes and a lot of Porsches. I now have a 2015 Porsche Cayman and am thinking of selling to buy a 2016 C7. Both base models. Both autos. Not a S or Z51. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts? I like the smoothness of the Porsche and the power/torque of the Vette. The Porsche feels more refined the Vette more of a brut to me. I wouldn't track either. It would be a daily driver. Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 123vette456; 03-31-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Popular Reply

03-31-2016, 09:26 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently went from a 981 Cayman S to a C7 Z51, but I'll chime in. Overall, I like the Corvette better. I prefer the Porsche's fit and finish, but the Corvette is pretty well built now, save for some panel fit and paint issues. Both chassis feel solid.

Handling: It may be a bit surprising, but I actually prefer the Corvette's handling to the Porsche's. The C7 just feels sharper and more alive. The Porsche is very capable, but the steering response is a bit slow. Seems like you have to drive the Cayman more quickly for it to really come alive.

Power: As you probably know, there's absolutely no comparison. The Corvette flat out flies. The Cayman is not slow, but I wouldn't call it eye-opening quick.

Transmission: Both manuals, the Cayman has the sweeter shifter. However, I much prefer the Z51's gear ratios. The CS's gearing (like many modern Porsches' gearing) is much too long. Both have good clutch feel and medium weighting.

Braking: Both excellent.

Engine sound: The Porsche (mine had the base system, no PSE) makes a nice, tuneful sound, but the NPP equipped C7 just sounds next level. It's not an exotic sound, per se, but definitely racy. Touring mode is quiet when you want it.

Ride: My Z51 has Mag-Ride. My CS was on the base suspension (no PASM) with 20'' wheels. The C7's run-flats can bang a bit over sharp bumps (even in Touring mode), but overall I prefer its ride over the Cayman. That said, both ride well. In Track mode, however, the C7 feels much more taut and focused.

Steering Weight/Feel: I would say the two electric steering systems are comparable. Similar weighting and neither has a ton of feel/feedback. One C7 negative...I dislike the over-boosted feel at parking lot speeds, which is present in all driving modes. To me, it gives a cheap, unsubstantial feel.

Storage: I prefer the Corvette. Though the Cayman's two trunks are useful, the Corvette's rear hatch area is very large and some of that space is accessible right behind the front seats. Small cargo can easily be stowed there. The Cayman has the shelf area above the engine, but anything placed there blocks rear vision.

Visibility: I'd say the two cars are comparable. However, my C7 has front and rear cameras, which does help when parking.

Either car makes a fine daily driver. As a sports car, it really depends on what floats your boat. The Porsche is more sophisticated, the Corvette is more exciting.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've never owned a Porsche, but I've considered buying a Cayman many times. I've been driving a Vette daily for 16 years, C5-C6-C7, and it is a very serviceable and satisfying daily driver.

I think you've identified the key difference, refined versus brute, you just need to decide which you enjoy more. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM
86V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I've never owned a Porsche, but I've considered buying a Cayman many times. I've been driving a Vette daily for 16 years, C5-C6-C7, and it is a very serviceable and satisfying daily driver.

I think you've identified the key difference, refined versus brute, you just need to decide which you enjoy more. Good luck with your decision.
I also have a Mercedes SLK350. Completely different rides, but I wouldn't want to live without either. To be brutally honest.......I wouldn't want the Vette as a daily driver. If I could have only one I'd pick the Mercedes because its fantastic all the time and can do everything. Even has auto transmission AND Paddle shifting in sport mode.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Lets not confuse refinement with the profound lack of torque in the Cayman. A base Cayman has no ***** compared to the torque of the superior 6.2L LT1. Forget about it.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 PM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently went from a 981 Cayman S to a C7 Z51, but I'll chime in. Overall, I like the Corvette better. I prefer the Porsche's fit and finish, but the Corvette is pretty well built now, save for some panel fit and paint issues. Both chassis feel solid.

Handling: It may be a bit surprising, but I actually prefer the Corvette's handling to the Porsche's. The C7 just feels sharper and more alive. The Porsche is very capable, but the steering response is a bit slow. Seems like you have to drive the Cayman more quickly for it to really come alive.

Power: As you probably know, there's absolutely no comparison. The Corvette flat out flies. The Cayman is not slow, but I wouldn't call it eye-opening quick.

Transmission: Both manuals, the Cayman has the sweeter shifter. However, I much prefer the Z51's gear ratios. The CS's gearing (like many modern Porsches' gearing) is much too long. Both have good clutch feel and medium weighting.

Braking: Both excellent.

Engine sound: The Porsche (mine had the base system, no PSE) makes a nice, tuneful sound, but the NPP equipped C7 just sounds next level. It's not an exotic sound, per se, but definitely racy. Touring mode is quiet when you want it.

Ride: My Z51 has Mag-Ride. My CS was on the base suspension (no PASM) with 20'' wheels. The C7's run-flats can bang a bit over sharp bumps (even in Touring mode), but overall I prefer its ride over the Cayman. That said, both ride well. In Track mode, however, the C7 feels much more taut and focused.

Steering Weight/Feel: I would say the two electric steering systems are comparable. Similar weighting and neither has a ton of feel/feedback. One C7 negative...I dislike the over-boosted feel at parking lot speeds, which is present in all driving modes. To me, it gives a cheap, unsubstantial feel.

Storage: I prefer the Corvette. Though the Cayman's two trunks are useful, the Corvette's rear hatch area is very large and some of that space is accessible right behind the front seats. Small cargo can easily be stowed there. The Cayman has the shelf area above the engine, but anything placed there blocks rear vision.

Visibility: I'd say the two cars are comparable. However, my C7 has front and rear cameras, which does help when parking.

Either car makes a fine daily driver. As a sports car, it really depends on what floats your boat. The Porsche is more sophisticated, the Corvette is more exciting.

Last edited by VY427; 04-01-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added content to steering weight/feel.
The following 7 users liked this post by VY427:
drs (04-01-2016), Enel (12-28-2023), greystone_way (06-26-2016), maestromind (04-06-2017), r00t61 (03-31-2016), shadeshift (04-01-2016), zcobra1 (03-31-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

We have a 981 Cayman S and a '15 Stingray Z51. Overall, I agree with 'VY427' write up.

I'd say the Cayman is easier to drive, both around town and when pushed hard. It feels smaller and lighter (it is ~300 lbs. lighter). Both of our cars are manual transmission and the Cayman has a better manual transmission. The Porsche PDK auto is also considered one of the best in the industry. But the Cayman lacks the visceral power and sports car feel that you get in the Stingray. If you want a SPORTS CAR then the Stingray is a better choice. If you want a SPORTY car that's easy to drive quickly and is more refined get the Cayman.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I have had 4 Corvettes and 4 Porsches over the years. I love the brute power of the Corvette, the looks, etc. so for me it would be the C7.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I went from the Boxster S to the C7. I think the C7 has caught my Porsche fit and finish on the refinement comment. There is no comparison on the brutishness as the C7 wins that one IMO. The C7 although feeling a little bigger has some pretty impressive balance even though it is not a mid-engine design. The big kicker is the technology gains that I got over the Porsche. Of course, you had the 2015 and I had the 2008 and that was a huge jump.

I am enjoying my purchase everyday and marveling at the new things I learn by driving and this forum. So far, there are not many C7s in town here so I get a lot of looks and thumbs up from folks in town. I have had ZERO buyers remorse. Hope this helps.....
Old 04-01-2016, 09:53 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I've loved Cayman's and had been wanting one since 2012. Drove and rode in more than a few.

Then I rode in a friends C7.
Then I looked at the price.

Now I own a C7 Z51.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:15 AM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default cayman is slow aa molasses

Originally Posted by 123vette456
I've owned a lot of Corvettes and a lot of Porsches. I now have a 2015 Porsche Cayman and am thinking of selling to buy a 2016 C7. Both base models. Both autos. Not a S or Z51. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts? I like the smoothness of the Porsche and the power/torque of the Vette. The Porsche feels more refined the Vette more of a brut to me. I wouldn't track either. It would be a daily driver. Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
cayman base feels slow as molasses espec without chrono. my mildly tuned balt would destroy it. c7 should be noticably faster then the dog slow cayman.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 AM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default so true

Originally Posted by drmustang
Lets not confuse refinement with the profound lack of torque in the Cayman. A base Cayman has no ***** compared to the torque of the superior 6.2L LT1. Forget about it.
i rented a base cayman for a week with no chrono. it felt very slow compared to a boxster spyder with chrono. my balt ss would smash it and a c7 would absolutely destroy it.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 AM
Along4theRide
CF Old Timer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

We own both, 2015 C7 Z51 M7 also a 2010 Cayman S PDK w/ Chrono. I enjoy both of these cars very much. But they are very different. We do track both of the cars, and while the handling advantage really needs to go to the Porsche. The Corvette is just awesome. It's power and comfort are unmatched. On the track I prefer the Corvette. On the street, I like the Porsche. Being stuck in a long traffic jam, I prefer the train!
The following users liked this post:
maestromind (04-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche Cayman to Corvette or vice versa?

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman to Corvette or vice versa?