Sponsored by:

Auto-Dimming rearview mirror upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:44 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Or buy some Light Dims. I bought a variety pack with differing levels of tint and silver dots. Works perfectly, and they are easy to peel off if some jerk in a lifted truck is blasting his brights.

i was joking, but that looks pretty serious.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
just talked to my Stealership, informs me i need to buy the whole mirror, housing and whole jam, then have it painted. i can t see that happening. any pics i have viewed shows the glass attaching to the acuator/adjuster and wires run off of it. He tells me the wiring harness is way different. oh well. was worth a try.
thanks for all the input.

Al
Yes, the most expensive way is to buy a new housing, paint it, and install. You can re-use your existing housing (change the glass), if you are handy enough to fish 2 new wires thru your old housing, into the door, across the hinge, and up to the interior mirror. Of course the dealer tells you the most expensive way to retrofit this.....
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 05:35 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Yes, the most expensive way is to buy a new housing, paint it, and install. You can re-use your existing housing (change the glass), if you are handy enough to fish 2 new wires thru your old housing, into the door, across the hinge, and up to the interior mirror. Of course the dealer tells you the most expensive way to retrofit this.....
yes, i think i can do, done a few cams and silly stuff, he was telling me the glass is attached to the actuator or what ever you call it that adjusts the mirror, and has more plugs on it. would i find the other ends in the door somewhere, or do i need to dig deeper and hunt under the dash for the remaing plugs, or would they be all in the door with the one that adjusts the glass. i think i googled this not long ago, but wasn t so wonderful the results. i hate to be a pain in the neck. i can jury rig anything and make it work, almost. heh
Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 PM
segen77
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I hope someone can help me with this. I have the auto dimming mirrors. Rear window is tinted. I was driving down a dark road last night with no other cars behind me, but for some reason the rear view and side mirrors were both dark. The rear view was so dark, I couldn't see anything. I'm not sure why it is darkened at all when there are no other vehicles behind me, but from what I have read that's just the way GM made it. Has anyone used these lightdims stickers successfully and if so did you put them on the sensor facing the windshield, or the one on the mirror? Did the black or silver look better? I really want to be able to use my mirror at night, and right now, I simply can't.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I like the silver ones on the RV mirror better than the black ones. They are matte, however.

Post #39 has the location.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 PM
segen77
Racer

So, I would place it on the mirror itself to fix the issue as oppose to the front sensor that faces the windshield?

I still don't understand why the dimming feature would even activate when there are no vehicles behind me.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM
BlackMoon
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I just experienced the same thing. Both mirrors went black. I recently had the front window tinted with a very light tint. First I drove it in the late evening with the top off. No idea why it would go dark. I would have thought it would go lighter.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Originally Posted by segen77
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I hope someone can help me with this. I have the auto dimming mirrors. Rear window is tinted. I was driving down a dark road last night with no other cars behind me, but for some reason the rear view and side mirrors were both dark. The rear view was so dark, I couldn't see anything. I'm not sure why it is darkened at all when there are no other vehicles behind me, but from what I have read that's just the way GM made it. Has anyone used these lightdims stickers successfully and if so did you put them on the sensor facing the windshield, or the one on the mirror? Did the black or silver look better? I really want to be able to use my mirror at night, and right now, I simply can't.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 PM
CT Grand Sport CE
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

I have come to the assumption that the mirrors dim whenever the sensor on the dash decides it is dark enough to go into night dimming mode (dim interior lights & turn on headlights)? At least that is what I have noticed recently as I haven't driven much at night. I have my lights in auto, not sure if that has anything to do with it?
My F250 & Lexus both have auto dimming rearview mirrors & only dim if lights are shinning directly into them. On the Lexus you can also choose the sensitivity of the sensor on the dash as to when it dims the dash & turns on the headlights. Wish the Vette worked like these 2 vehicles that are significantly cheaper.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:47 PM
owc6
Team Owner

As close as we dumb-schmucks can figure, it's a combo of the dash sensor thinking it's dark (dim?), and any light from behind "shining" in the sensor on the rear-view mirror.

What "mode" you leave your lights on , apparently, has nothing to do with it.

This is one area, IMO, that the C7 took a step backwards from what the C6 did; there is no way to disable this auto dimming feature, and it works "the best" when in marginal conditions, not when you really need it.
The following users liked this post:
CT Grand Sport CE (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 AM
BlackMoon
Pro

Originally Posted by owc6
As close as we dumb-schmucks can figure, it's a combo of the dash sensor thinking it's dark (dim?), and any light from behind "shining" in the sensor on the rear-view mirror.

What "mode" you leave your lights on , apparently, has nothing to do with it.

This is one area, IMO, that the C7 took a step backwards from what the C6 did; there is no way to disable this auto dimming feature, and it works "the best" when in marginal conditions, not when you really need it.

Mine go completely black with a quarter edge around them. I mean black as in I can't see anything. Hoping it's not the windshield tint. It's only like 5%. You can barely tell it's tgere.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:53 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlackMoon
Mine go completely black with a quarter edge around them. I mean black as in I can't see anything. Hoping it's not the windshield tint. It's only like 5%. You can barely tell it's tgere.
Yes, this seems "normal", but not right or safe, and this is why I've been complaining about this since 2014.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:18 AM
BlackMoon
Pro

It's definitely a safety issue when you can't see anything behind you except thru the right side mirror. I need a solution. I may just unplug the damn thing and see if it causes a CEL or error message
Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 PM
segen77
Racer

I will say that (knock on wood) this hasn't happened to me again since that first time. No idea what happened, but I hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

I just did the swap on my 2017 1LT GS, to the self-dimming mirror, latest part number is 23408301, $111 from genuinegmpartsdirect thru Ebay. Easy swap, took about 5 minutes. The 1LT harness and connector (the car end) has all the wires already there to make this a plug-n-play upgrade.

Last edited by ersatz928; 02-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
They way mine works is if the sensor on the dash senses its dark, and the sensor on the mirror senses a light (like headlights), then it dims.

At night, my mirrors don't dim unless some truck has its headlights blasting in.
mine doesn't seem to dim much at all. The door mirror does.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMoon
My RV doesn't seem to do much. DSV dims to almost black.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:51 PM
johnnyklik
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
I just did the swap on my 2017 1LT GS, to the self-dimming mirror, latest part number is 23408301, $111 from genuinegmpartsdirect thru Ebay. Easy swap, took about 5 minutes. The 1LT harness and connector (the car end) has all the wires already there to make this a plug-n-play upgrade.
Was this mirror identical to the one you had in the car originally. Because this one you got showing says it will fit my car but looks different. These guys are talking about a sensor on the dash. Did they install the sensor on the dash but put in a different mirror.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto-Dimming rearview mirror upgrade

Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

The autodim mirror has the same electrical plug (with a few more wires). Other than that, and that it does not have the manual dim flip lever on the bottom, the mirror looks identical. There is no other sensor neeeded, I just swapped the mirror.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Is it just me that feels the auto dim is not dim enough compared to the old flip a lever ones?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:25 PM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybsyc
Better question, is there a way to disable this on 2LT/3LT? I hate it.
Sorry,
but on another subject regarding mirrors. I have searched all over the forum for the postings on how to get your auto-tilting mirrors to come back to your normal settings after backing up but I can't find it. I know it's here somewhere. Does anyone know the path to that post?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Auto-Dimming rearview mirror upgrade