Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Hang tight is what GM wants you to do until your warranty is out. Strake's post was from several months ago and we know GM has bought cars back and done the root cause and determined it is the ring and pinion. It's just a matter of getting hold of the right GM eng or tech support to admit and provide the known fix. Others have been successful why not you MUZZY. I hate we live in a society where you have to pressure folks to do the right thing.
The following users liked this post:
Muzzy (07-08-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Warble Noise Folks

I was fortunate early on to have the warble noise fixed in my 2016, A8 base car. As a result, I was able to establish contacts with a GM employee in Detroit who was very helpful to me and, as far as I know, to others as well. I have had no contact with this man in months but I have no reason to believe that he isn't still there. If you will PM me your real name, telephone number, VIN number, any Customer Service case j numbers you were assigned, the dealer you are trying to work with and his location, I will convey these to him. I cannot guarantee that anything will come of it but I know he has helped others.

Your car must have the infamous warble noise. the first question he'll have of me is whether you have tried to go through Customer Service and whether your dealer has attempted to call the Technical Service Center. Two things that I think are a problem: One is that I think some dealers lie through their teeth because they simply do not want to do the work. The second is, as mentioned by someone else, is that communication within GM is terrible. The last time I talked with this man about the problems people were having getting follow-through from GM, he just couldn't believe that the dealers and the TAC weren't aware of the issue when contacted by the dealer.

I've seen other posts in this and another forum from people who think they have the warble noise but obviously don't judging from the symptoms they report. Not to beat a dead horse, but this noise occurs from the rear of the car at almost precisely 1500 RPM in any gear but seems to be most noticeable in a higher gear with a slight incline. As far as I know, it has not been reported in anything but A8, base cars. Bjones, correct me if I'm wrong on this or if you can add to this. Strake's video as cited below is the best example:

I hate to sound so particular about all of this, but if I send info to Detroit that does not pertain to the warble, then my credibility with this man goes out the window not to mention just wasting his time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Highplains:
Muzzy (07-08-2017), Rebel Yell (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:59 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

I agree totally Pete. I was hoping you would chime in, didn't want to call you out. Agree that he should make sure he has the WARBLE before going down this road. MUZZY get highplains the info he requested, that is your best opportunity at this point. Pete I hope your car is doing good. Happy 4th.
Muzzy (07-08-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:10 PM
GraRay
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
I too have a noise coming from what might be the driveline, or Exhaust. I have a couple of posts on this going now...... ONLY happens when my foot is on the gas pedal, usually lightly.... not flooring it. If I take my foot off the gas and coast, the noise goes away immediately. Does it in ALL driving modes. I have NPP and Mag ride.....

Anyone else ???? I haven't taken it to a dealer yet, as it's a subjective sound.

I meant to add that I too seem to hear it from my LEFT ear..... sounds like it coming from the Left Rear wheel area.
I have a 2017 A8 making the same warble sound as you describe and in the same circumstance. There are you tube videos entitled Corvette warble which show the sound at 1500 rpms. I'm taking my car in for evaluation. Noise doesn't really bother me but I'm concerned whether it will develop into an expensive fix after warranty is over. Have seen posts on forums referring to this as a differential problem.
rmorin1249 (08-12-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 10:56 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I think my warble has been overtaken by the belt vibration and torque converter issue. I assume it is still there but when the car goes into 4 cylinder mode now there is a vibration that is NOT the warble that sounds like a muffled distorted subwoofer under the hood, then as it transitions back to V8 mode there is a nasty vibration from (assuming) the converter. I have just been keeping it in manual mode because in the regular 8 cylinder mode it drives just fine..... Joy........
Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Muzzy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
I was fortunate early on to have the warble noise fixed in my 2016, A8 base car. As a result, I was able to establish contacts with a GM employee in Detroit who was very helpful to me and, as far as I know, to others as well. I have had no contact with this man in months but I have no reason to believe that he isn't still there. If you will PM me your real name, telephone number, VIN number, any Customer Service case j numbers you were assigned, the dealer you are trying to work with and his location, I will convey these to him. I cannot guarantee that anything will come of it but I know he has helped others.

Your car must have the infamous warble noise. the first question he'll have of me is whether you have tried to go through Customer Service and whether your dealer has attempted to call the Technical Service Center. Two things that I think are a problem: One is that I think some dealers lie through their teeth because they simply do not want to do the work. The second is, as mentioned by someone else, is that communication within GM is terrible. The last time I talked with this man about the problems people were having getting follow-through from GM, he just couldn't believe that the dealers and the TAC weren't aware of the issue when contacted by the dealer.

I've seen other posts in this and another forum from people who think they have the warble noise but obviously don't judging from the symptoms they report. Not to beat a dead horse, but this noise occurs from the rear of the car at almost precisely 1500 RPM in any gear but seems to be most noticeable in a higher gear with a slight incline. As far as I know, it has not been reported in anything but A8, base cars. Bjones, correct me if I'm wrong on this or if you can add to this. Strake's video as cited below is the best example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_svpk-t9E

I hate to sound so particular about all of this, but if I send info to Detroit that does not pertain to the warble, then my credibility with this man goes out the window not to mention just wasting his time.
Thanks Highplains, just finished sending you a PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine is at 11k miles is a base automatic 2016 and still warbles. I have a video of it on the pdr and have shown the guys at the dealership. They never heard any other customer complain of this problem though. I am hoping for a TSB so that it gets corrected in one visit.
I feel like mine is exhaust related but it's the same noise as the strake video.
I keep meaning to post it to this thread and will do so some day because it's so obvious on my video even more than strakes.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:04 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by GraRay
I have a 2017 A8 making the same warble sound as you describe and in the same circumstance. There are you tube videos entitled Corvette warble which show the sound at 1500 rpms. I'm taking my car in for evaluation. Noise doesn't really bother me but I'm concerned whether it will develop into an expensive fix after warranty is over. Have seen posts on forums referring to this as a differential problem.
My concern as well as my warble is very faint and not totally consistent. I can hear it at times when I am driving without the radio on and with the windows closed. My dealer says it is "normal" but I don't think they have actually heard it. I share your concern that it will develop into something more serious like a failed differential. I do have some security in that I bought a 7 yr/75K mile GMEPP. I plan to sell or trade before it expires. This may well be my first and last Corvette as I have had 2 serious defects that required major repairs with the car being out of service for over 30 days. I threatened GM with lemoning the car through the MD Lemon Law but agreed to a minor settlement and kept the car. It is now more than 24 months old so I am stuck with it for now. If I have another serious failure I will probably get it fixed and then trade it for something else, likely another Audi or BMW as I have driven them for over 30 years. Yes, they can be expensive to repair but if you trade every 4 years you can avoid any costs by using the 4 yr/50K mile BtoB warranty. To say the least I have been disappointed in my Corvette due to the problems I have had so far. It is a great performing car with fantastic looks when it is running right.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by ryoder
Mine is at 11k miles is a base automatic 2016 and still warbles. I have a video of it on the pdr and have shown the guys at the dealership. They never heard any other customer complain of this problem though. I am hoping for a TSB so that it gets corrected in one visit.
I feel like mine is exhaust related but it's the same noise as the strake video.
I keep meaning to post it to this thread and will do so some day because it's so obvious on my video even more than strakes.
I would suggest that you ask your service manager to call GM Tech support and tell them about the ring and pinion in the differential that has been found to be the cause of this issue in hundreds of cars.

If they still can't figure out what you are talking about, tell them to look up my VIN # as GM Engineering bought my car back last Nov 1 and took the car to Detroit proving grounds to tear down and use as the root cause and analysis vehicle.

Here's the VIN # from my previous 2016: 1G1 YD2D 73 G5115594
Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I get that Warble sound alot.I was ok til I put long tube headers on with B&B PRT mufflers.
I'm thinking about going to A milder muffler.That sound drives me crazy.Only happens at lower RPM's.WOT it sounds fantastic.

Last edited by thrilled; 08-13-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

GM dealerships claim they have never heard of this problem, I find this hard to believe. I dought they will ever come out with a TSB, hope I am wrong. My advice is keep complaining to whom ever you have to until you get results. Try another dealership, i am on a stingray fb group and one of the guys is getting his rear replaced at present and another guy is going the BBB route as I did. Good luck
Rebel Yell (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
GM dealerships claim they have never heard of this problem, I find this hard to believe. I dought they will ever come out with a TSB, hope I am wrong. My advice is keep complaining to whom ever you have to until you get results. Try another dealership, i am on a stingray fb group and one of the guys is getting his rear replaced at present and another guy is going the BBB route as I did. Good luck
Old 08-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

A little update on mine. It is so far still warble free. I'm as stumped as anyone. However I'm not jaded enough to think it won't return. It will return, and probably return with a vengeance.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-12-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 PM
dash7510
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

I brought mine to the my dealer this past week and had the shop foreman ride with me. He did indeed hear the warble noise. They had it in the shop for a couple days and worked closely with GM service center. They verified that I had a warbler, and ordered me a new/updated rear.

Dave
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dash7510
I brought mine to the my dealer this past week and had the shop foreman ride with me. He did indeed hear the warble noise. They had it in the shop for a couple days and worked closely with GM service center. They verified that I had a warbler, and ordered me a new/updated rear.

Dave
Good for you David, glad your dealer is working with you.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:28 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
I get that Warble sound alot.I was ok til I put long tube headers on with B&B PRT mufflers.
I'm thinking about going to A milder muffler.That sound drives me crazy.Only happens at lower RPM's.WOT it sounds fantastic.
Are you sure you are talking about warble and not drone? Most seem to agree that warble is not exhaust related and I know aftermarket exhaust systems do sometimes cause drone.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:08 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by dash7510

Dave
That's good news Dave, keep us updated.

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 08-18-2017, 05:20 PM
i3kc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just found this thread through searching. Making a post as to subscribe to the thread. I think I have this Warble issue... I notice this "warble" noise at 1,300 - 1,500 RPM, Mostly when in 5th or 6th gear while accerating.

For the record, I have a base stingray A8 with the MPP.

Will report to the dealership and see what they have to say.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:25 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Are you sure you are talking about warble and not drone? Most seem to agree that warble is not exhaust related and I know aftermarket exhaust systems do sometimes cause drone.
Your probably right.But I always thought drone was at highway speeds.
I get this at 1500-2000 RPM's in 1st gear.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by i3kc
Just found this thread through searching. Making a post as to subscribe to the thread. I think I have this Warble issue... I notice this "warble" noise at 1,300 - 1,500 RPM, Mostly when in 5th or 6th gear while accerating.

For the record, I have a base stingray A8 with the MPP.

Will report to the dealership and see what they have to say.
They will tell you they have never heard of this problem before. My friend in N.C. just got a call from his dealer that a new differential is in and ready to install. Took him 6 months and finally contacted BBB before he got results. Good luck, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally