Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warble sound occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:30 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Update on my last post of my friend in N.C. GM called and inquired about him taking his car in for the diff. replacement and he told them he wasn't sure he would be satisfied with that and they offered to replace his car MSRP to MSRP. Press on guys and hopefully they will fix your cars or replace.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (08-26-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 PM
mbeh
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mbeh

Had warble sound coming from rr on light to moderate acceleration from day one on my base 2017 Stingray. When the car was delivered 3 to 4 weeks ago it had 11 miles on it. I took it back to the dealer at 300 miles and they informed me that there is a problem with the clutches in the limited slip differential and the transaxle will need to be replaced as an assembly. They ordered it from the factory and said it will take a week to ten days to get here and that they want the car for 2 days to install the new unit.

The dealer is Hoselton Chev in Rochester NY. I used to work there in the late 60's as an apprentice mechanic. Hoselton's is the oldest family owned chevy dealer in the country and has from my experience always been very reputable. So while I am biting my finger nails having someone rip the entire rear end out of my new vette I am hopeful based on past experience that this ends well.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:00 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mbeh
Had warble sound coming from rr on light to moderate acceleration from day one on my base 2017 Stingray. When the car was delivered 3 to 4 weeks ago it had 11 miles on it. I took it back to the dealer at 300 miles and they informed me that there is a problem with the clutches in the limited slip differential and the transaxle will need to be replaced as an assembly. They ordered it from the factory and said it will take a week to ten days to get here and that they want the car for 2 days to install the new unit.

The dealer is Hoselton Chev in Rochester NY. I used to work there in the late 60's as an apprentice mechanic. Hoselton's is the oldest family owned chevy dealer in the country and has from my experience always been very reputable. So while I am biting my finger nails having someone rip the entire rear end out of my new vette I am hopeful based on past experience that this ends well.
Man that is terrible, if it is the Warble we have all experienced, it is ring /pinion not clutches but in any case i hope they get you fixed up. I was hopeful GM had fixed this problem on the 17's from their diff. supplier, but obviously not. Good luck.
bj
Old 08-29-2017, 07:21 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Good for you man. Dealer stepped up right away.
GL with fix.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 PM
mbeh
5th Gear

Hey guys

Took my 2017 vette in to the dealer this past Tuesday to get the warbling sound fixed. I insisted on meeting the mechanic that would be replacing the transaxle. I explained that in my early 20's I worked as a factory trained flat rate mechanic in a local chevy dealer and that I was familiar with the difference between the warranty pay rates vs the customer pay rates. Historically warranty work pays substancially less than the normal customer pay rates. I offered to make up any difference out of my pocket as an incentive for him to take his time and make sure it was done right. He said the job won't be that difficult' apparently he has done this job on several other C7's and was very confident he could get it done without any additional compensation. I got the car back 8 hours later noise is gone and the car drives and feels great.
The following 5 users liked this post by mbeh:
Har-ray (09-29-2017), joemessman (09-07-2017), Maxie2U (09-29-2017), Rebel Yell (09-07-2017), walleyejack (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Hey guys

Took my 2017 vette in to the dealer this past Tuesday to get the warbling sound fixed. I insisted on meeting the mechanic that would be replacing the transaxle. I explained that in my early 20's I worked as a factory trained flat rate mechanic in a local chevy dealer and that I was familiar with the difference between the warranty pay rates vs the customer pay rates. Historically warranty work pays substancially less than the normal customer pay rates. I offered to make up any difference out of my pocket as an incentive for him to take his time and make sure it was done right. He said the job won't be that difficult' apparently he has done this job on several other C7's and was very confident he could get it done without any additional compensation. I got the car back 8 hours later noise is gone and the car drives and feels great.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Glad you got it fixed. Surprised they are still churning them out with this well known problem!! Was your car a base A8 stingray?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

My warble comes and goes intermittently. Depending on the road surface it is often difficult to hear. My dealer said it is "normal". At this point I'm going to live with it. If it gets louder or constant I'll make another trip to the dealer. Am I correct that the differential is covered under the 5 yr/50k mile drive train warranty?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
My warble comes and goes intermittently. Depending on the road surface it is often difficult to hear. My dealer said it is "normal". At this point I'm going to live with it. If it gets louder or constant I'll make another trip to the dealer. Am I correct that the differential is covered under the 5 yr/50k mile drive train warranty?
Yes it is. But let your dealer know before the period expires.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:48 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Yes it is. But let your dealer know before the period expires.
Exactly. Get the issue into your service history, even if they are claiming right now that it is normal. That way if it does go seriously south on you later it will be documented when the problem first appeared, no matter how lame your dealership is.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
Exactly. Get the issue into your service history, even if they are claiming right now that it is normal. That way if it does go seriously south on you later it will be documented when the problem first appeared, no matter how lame your dealership is.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 PM
mbeh
5th Gear

Default Mbeh

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Glad you got it fixed. Surprised they are still churning them out with this well known problem!! Was your car a base A8 stingray?
Yes base Stingray A8. This forum is very powerfull. All should read and heed the advice given. I was very fortunate that dealer stepped up immediately. This is a problem with the transaxle... not exhaust, not tires etc. Reputable dealers will step up and take care of the problem.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Highplains
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes base Stingray A8. This forum is very powerfull. All should read and heed the advice given. I was very fortunate that dealer stepped up immediately. This is a problem with the transaxle... not exhaust, not tires etc. Reputable dealers will step up and take care of the problem.
"Reputable dealers". Indeed, you are lucky. I was too. But I have heard from and seen on this forum many who have had to fight tooth and nail with dealers who obviously just do not want to do the work even after they were given exact instructions on how to verify with Detroit that the "warble" is a real issue
Rebel Yell (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Highplains
"Reputable dealers". Indeed, you are lucky. I was too. But I have heard from and seen on this forum many who have had to fight tooth and nail with dealers who obviously just do not want to do the work even after they were given exact instructions on how to verify with Detroit that the "warble" is a real issue
I think that some dealerships really don't want to work on expensive cars whose owners care a lot about them. Corvettes are for the most part very reliable but some have issues with both assembly quality and in this case some big, expensive components. The dealers make their bread and butter on oil changes and straightforward parts swapping on much simpler cars, which are easier to work on. Also the owners treat them as appliances and don't sweat perfect paint and body fit. For a lot of dealers a Corvette is just too far outside of their core competency for it to make a lot of sense getting involved in major repairs. That is particularly true when the whole rear end needs torn out and and (hopefully) put back together again correctly.

Not saying that is how it should work - my first impression has always been that since they signed up to sell and service Corvettes, they need to honor that obligation. But I have also watched many owners whose cars were repaired by less knowledgeable dealers who screwed their cars up, sometimes in a major way. Maybe in the long run it is actually best to seek out a dealer who cares and who wants to do the work right, even if you have to travel a bit to get that.

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 09-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Maxie2U (09-29-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Just talked with my friend in N.C. who went the BBB route and GM is going to replace his warbler car, MSRP to MSRP.
The following 2 users liked this post by bjones7131:
curve65 (09-29-2017), Rebel Yell (09-09-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Looks like all the warblers have gone south. hope everyone had the issue resolved.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Looks like all the warblers have gone south. hope everyone had the issue resolved.
Roughly 9k miles and still warblin. Doesn't really bother me. I'll keep driving it till it breaks.

Get notified of new replies

To Warble sound occasionally

Old 09-29-2017, 05:56 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Right on. Mine has a noise, but no matter, warranty will work for me.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:12 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,252 Posts

One would think after 1498 posts and 94,366 views GM would have paid attention to it's loyal Corvette customers and at least acknowledge they are looking into this problem.

This is going to bite them in the end and it's only going to make it worse by remaining silent.
joemessman (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 AM
spolk69
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Warbling sound

I too have the sound only 3000 miles 17 grand sport. Usually only when cold but goes away after restart. Crazy!!

Quick Reply: Warble sound occasionally