Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Replacement Battery

Old 04-10-2016, 01:28 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Default Optima Replacement Battery

So, I went on the Optima Battery website today to price a potential replacement for the GM battery in my C7, and this is what came up...

------------------------------------------------------------

-"Your Search Criteria:

Year: 2014

Make: Chevrolet

Model: Corvette

Engine: V8-6.2L

Unfortunately, there are dozens of different sizes of automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider to be "direct-fit" replacements for every vehicle, including your specific model.

1.For a battery that is a direct fitment visit autobatteries.com

2.If there is an interest in considering a custom designed fitment got to view our products spec pages to find the exact dimensions.

YELLOWTOP®

BLUETOP®

REDTOP®

Alternately, you can check the Internet enthusiast forums for your vehicle to see how others have created custom fitments for their OPTIMA® batteries."

Is this correct? Does Optima not sell a battery to fit this vehicle?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:01 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Optima batteries. I would look elsewhere.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:08 PM
orwollma
Burning Brakes

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Optima batteries. I would look elsewhere.
I had three in my '41 ****** gasser coupe and the first two failed completely before the warranty was up; they both failed to hold a charge even though they were always on a trickle charger.
Unfortunately, they were the only batteries that would fit in the battery box so I had to keep using them. Don't know how the current owner of the car is doing with the Optima battery, though.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Optima changed a few years ago to a new mfg source. At that point they became trash. See if you can fit an odyssey AGM, now the best in the biz. Had 4 on my boat that were strong after 6 years.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM
James Bertuca
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DEKA is a great battery

Big Crank also

They are made by East Penn Mfg. in Pa.

Last edited by James Bertuca; 04-10-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deka, been using it the last 12 yrs
Last me at least 3yrs each and I do sometimes let it ran down but it'll still charge right back up

Last edited by boblackhardtop; 04-10-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
So, I went on the Optima Battery website today to price a potential replacement for the GM battery in my C7, and this is what came up...

------------------------------------------------------------

-"Your Search Criteria:

Year: 2014

Make: Chevrolet

Model: Corvette

Engine: V8-6.2L

Unfortunately, there are dozens of different sizes of automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider to be "direct-fit" replacements for every vehicle, including your specific model.

1.For a battery that is a direct fitment visit autobatteries.com

2.If there is an interest in considering a custom designed fitment got to view our products spec pages to find the exact dimensions.

YELLOWTOP®

BLUETOP®

REDTOP®

Alternately, you can check the Internet enthusiast forums for your vehicle to see how others have created custom fitments for their OPTIMA® batteries."

Is this correct? Does Optima not sell a battery to fit this vehicle?
Have a Yellow Optima in my Street Rod with a BB Chevy, has worked fine for over 5 years. Put one in my C6 since the car was Yellow and the good performance and support I have had from Optima.
The problem is the C7 battery needs a specific top side configuration to fit the power board on the positive terminal. Suggest you look at it before buying anything. An Optima won't fit!
My C7 battery has had a low voltage since I got it in October 2013 (~12.4 when measured properly after 12 hours to get past the surface charge.) It was checked by the dealer when I brought it back to get the differential fluid level checked when I first got it. Got the usual, it's fine! Rather than have them rip my carpet getting to the battery decided to live with it and replace it myself before i's needed, which I like to do.
The OEM battery has worked fine for 29 months and I do not use a charger. Started fine after 2 1/2 weeks when I was on vacation. However feel I'm running on borrowed time so will replace it this October at 3 years and before next winter.
Sears had an AGM battery with more capacity than the OEM, which is not an AGM design. Then it was not available but now they offer it again! It's their gold series and about $170. Had found one at Advanced Auto but prefer Sears in case of problems etc.

Visited the Johnson Controls plant about 10 miles from my house in Florence SC. They supply batteries to many folks. At the end of the production line they have over 20 Brand Labels the workers stick on! Some cases are different colors before they are stuffed with plates and charged in a large water bath.
During our ASME local section tour of the facility I asked the GM, who gave the tour, what the difference was and he said price and the warranty offered!

Granted Optima are a different spiral design but AGM batteries have higher capacity and better performance in general. Johnson Controls bought Optima in ~2000. They moved the production from Colorado to Mexico. There were the typical production issues with a new facility making them. It's my understanding those issues are resolved. However they also make other AGM batteries of the more conventional designs.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

The battery in the C7 is special in that it has a top that is vented outside via a rubber hose connected to the top right rear. Remember, all batteries outgas when charging or discharging. Perhaps Optima doesn't make one with this feature. You really need this vent, you don't want unvented battery gasses to enter the cabin. They are a health hazard as well as explosive.
The following users liked this post:
nmvettec7 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:22 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Red Tops are a horrible choice if your car isn't daily driven.
Yellow Tops are the ones to get.

I used to sell a lot of Optimas, the Odyssey is probably a higher quality choice than a Red Top, but thats just from what I hear about the Odysseys, no personal experience or anything.

Non AGM batteries made by JC are usually pretty decent. I feel like they had a bit of a quality hit around 2010, that could have just been me/locally. No idea if that was ture or if they recovered from it. Was a fan of their batteries when I sold them though.
The part about different stickers on the same exact battery is 100% true. BUT the key thing to remember is they make different levels of quality with different warranties on them. They make a run of top tier 3 year free replacement however much prorate a company wants to give them, and slap Everstart Maxx, Autocraft Gold etc etc. Then make a run of the lower quality 2 year free replacement batteries and slap the Everstart Plus, Autocraft Silver stickers etc on those, and so on.

Also, not to start a fist fight but when people say you can't leave a battery on a concrete floor because it will kill it is the biggest old wive's tail in the auto business.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:29 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by boblackhardtop
Deka, been using it the last 12 yrs
Last me at least 3yrs each and I do sometimes let it ran down but it'll still charge right back up
Three years is pathetic considering what AGM battery mfgrs charge for their products. We still see 6 yr lead acid battery warranties. Don
Old 04-10-2016, 05:12 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,296 Posts

You need a new battery already? Wow!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I actually don't need a battery just yet. It is just that in my experience, most OEM batteries last about 2 years, so I guess I am planning ahead...
Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frodo
The battery in the C7 is special in that it has a top that is vented outside via a rubber hose connected to the top right rear. Remember, all batteries outgas when charging or discharging. Perhaps Optima doesn't make one with this feature. You really need this vent, you don't want unvented battery gasses to enter the cabin. They are a health hazard as well as explosive.
It's not just a vent that is needed it's the terminal configuration to allow the large power board to fit on the positive terminal (see pic below.) The terminals are recessed down. The Optima terminals are not recessed.

Sears has an AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery for $167 for the Stingray.

For anyone who has not looked at the battery, suggest you do so even if you have AAA! Good chance if you need a jump the tech could tear the carpet getting access! Not hard to do!
Although not in the Owner's Manual, suggest you pop off the bottom of the passenger side plastic wheel well cover so the carpet comes out easier. You can do it with your fingers or a plastic trim tool or a screw driver with the tip covered with tape. No need to remove the cover or the top fasteners just the bottom clip, then pull out the cover out a few inches. They snap back easy with your hand. The clip is 3 inches up from the carpet a (see pic below.) No need to remove the one in the front but it may come lose. It too installs back with the palm of your hand. Just Say'N!

Interior Wheel Well Cover Un-clipped.

Yellow Arrow Points to Power Board

Last edited by JerryU; 04-10-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Frodo (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I actually don't need a battery just yet. It is just that in my experience, most OEM batteries last about 2 years, so I guess I am planning ahead...
You must have either had very bad luck with batteries or repeatedly and completely discharged them. I've never had a battery die in even 3 yrs in 50 yrs of owning and driving cars. Additionally, in recent years I've accidentally drained car batteries by leaving the key in the ignition after doing work. Don
Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Why not connect the battery to a excellent CTEK MUS 4.3 Smart charger, and don't worry about the battery going bad in 2 years......with the CTEK MUS 4.3 the battery will probably last 6 to 7 years.

Here's my images from my personal direct connect to the C7 battery.
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2016, 11:01 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Delco has made improvements in their batteries in the last few years, and I have had good luck with ACDelco Professional grade batteries.
The last one I bought had a 50 month free replacement guarantee, and I never bought another battery... The parts store would replace it with no questions.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Got six years out of my C4 battery, got five out of my C6, I expect the same out of my C7 .... my cars are daily drivers...... though I do split the C7 duties with an old Ferrari these days...

Always had great success with OEM batteries.....

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Replacement Battery

Old 04-11-2016, 01:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I usually wait about 3 years as I plan with the one in the C7 this October! My C6 OEM actually had a small leak and the voltage dropped at ~3 years.
My C7 is a DD, rather buy one when I can get a better than OEM (like a AGM) when on sale and there is no hassle having a dead battery in the winter etc.
The non sale price for the current AGM DieHard Gold is $167. I'll keep watching for a sale between now an October and buy one.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-11-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:06 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

[QUOTE.with the CTEK MUS 4.3 the battery will probably last 6 to 7 years.[/QUOTE]

...........or with any other quality battery maintainer.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 AM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I installed a Braille light weight battery 11/2 years ago. Car has sat for 5 months on a trickle charger over the last 2 winters, starts up first try. No issues whatsoever. Starts every time during the riving season, and I shaved off about 17 lbs of weight.
juanvaldez (04-11-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optima Replacement Battery