Sponsored by:

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:07 AM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Winter tires

I'm looking at ordering the Grand Sport, but I'm wondering what the winter driver folks do about snow tires (same rims as the Z06)?

I found a single set of tires for the fronts (285/30-19), which doesn't thrill me... but to make matters worse I find zero for the rears (335/25-20). This will be a daily driver, so a lack of snow shoes would be, unfortunately, a deal breaker (I tried the multiple cars thing once... hated it, won't be going back).

How are others handling it? Do they pick up smaller rims to improve the selection, or is there some hidden cache of Z06-sized snow tires one has to know the secret handshake to be let in on?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:27 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

I recently changed tires on my 2015 C7. After researching reviews, both by Tire Rack and by customers, I decided to get these. Had them put on a month ago and the ride is smooth and quiet. They are non-run flats. Best bang for your buck, in my opinion.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

Check out the ratings at the bottom of the page. Compare those to other similar tires.

Last edited by rkhegler; 04-19-2016 at 08:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Hintz (05-01-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...led-today.html
Dan Hintz (05-01-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I am with you and drive my C7 year around in NY. I have Pirellis Sotozero winter performance tires in the rear and Michelin Xice tires in the front. A Z51 or Grand Sport will limit your tire choices and I don't think you can buy a snow tire in a 20" rim size that will fit the car you are thinking of buying. I think you're better off buying a base model and when you retire to the sun you can use the money you saved to buy a Z car.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:44 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

What conditions are you considering?

In MD, a set of all season performance tires should be enough. These will get you through the odd inch of snowfall.

If you get more than 1 inch, just stay home and telecommute.
Chemdawg99 (05-01-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I am with you and drive my C7 year around in NY. I have Pirellis Sotozero winter performance tires in the rear and Michelin Xice tires in the front. A Z51 or Grand Sport will limit your tire choices and I don't think you can buy a snow tire in a 20" rim size that will fit the car you are thinking of buying. I think you're better off buying a base model and when you retire to the sun you can use the money you saved to buy a Z car.

For the Z51, these will work for winter tires:
Michelin Alpin PA4 (Front: 245/35-19, Rear: 285/30-20)
And yes, you can buy them off Tirerack.

For the Z06, you'll have to get slightly thinner tires on the rears, but they all fit on the stock rims without any rubbing. I assume the same sizes will fit on the GS too. This is based on reading through all the old winter tire threads and asking the folks with Z06s running winters.
They're both Sottozeros, but one pair's a Series 2 and the other is a 3.
Fronts
Rears

Hope this helps.
Dan Hintz (05-01-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

The Alpin is a great winter tire. They are a great choice.

Originally Posted by graj6
For the Z51, these will work for winter tires:
Michelin Alpin PA4 (Front: 245/35-19, Rear: 285/30-20)
And yes, you can buy them off Tirerack.

For the Z06, you'll have to get slightly thinner tires on the rears, but they all fit on the stock rims without any rubbing. I assume the same sizes will fit on the GS too. This is based on reading through all the old winter tire threads and asking the folks with Z06s running winters.
They're both Sottozeros, but one pair's a Series 2 and the other is a 3.
Fronts
Rears

Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry for the late reply, guys... my parents were visiting for a week and a half so my father could help with some framing in the basement (I'm majorly sore).

Those SottoZeros are pricey buggars, but I'd prefer winter over all-season whenever possible. MD may not get a ton of snow, on average, but it has its moments, and one can never tell when I may have to make it into the office on short notice. I could sit there with the tire size comparison app all day typing in the various options, but you've given me some firm numbers to work with.

Right now I'm leaning towards the set mentioned by graj6... no issues with the bead properly snapping into place with a (roughly) 9% reduction in width? Also, those rims nabbed by ztach in the thread Bui linked to seem like my general taste, so I may have a full swappable winter setup for about $3,200 shipped.

Many thanks, and if anyone has further suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:44 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz
Sorry for the late reply, guys... my parents were visiting for a week and a half so my father could help with some framing in the basement (I'm majorly sore).

Those SottoZeros are pricey buggars, but I'd prefer winter over all-season whenever possible. MD may not get a ton of snow, on average, but it has its moments, and one can never tell when I may have to make it into the office on short notice. I could sit there with the tire size comparison app all day typing in the various options, but you've given me some firm numbers to work with.

Right now I'm leaning towards the set mentioned by graj6... no issues with the bead properly snapping into place with a (roughly) 9% reduction in width? Also, those rims nabbed by ztach in the thread Bui linked to seem like my general taste, so I may have a full swappable winter setup for about $3,200 shipped.

Many thanks, and if anyone has further suggestions, I'm all ears.
Just one further note... you may want to instead get the 275 size Sottozero 3 winters instead of the Sottozero 2 pair I first recommended (though people are running the 2/3 combo without any issues). Apparently, Pirelli says they won't warrant safety if you mix the 2 and 3 tread patterns.

It doesn't seem like the thinner tires cause issues with the bead from all I've read, though the 'how it might look' portion is addressed below in the quoted section.

This was from the email I got from one of the Z06 guys:
I had absolutely no problem with my winter tires. No rubbing, rode actually better than the Cup 2's. Maybe made the car have a dash more clearance and that's all. And . . . it changes the front-on aspect of the tire on the wheel (they slant in a bit like street rods do when the wheel is slightly wider than the tire . . . but this is absolutely okay per GM).

I was told vehemently to NOT mix Sottozero 2's with Sottozero 3's. That the tread combination is actually detrimental to handling. This was from a Pirelli rep on the Pirelli website. They will not guarantee safety if you mix the two up.
So ideally:
Front
Pirelli 275 35 19 Series 3, XL, 96V http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Rear
Pirelli 305 30 20 Series 3, XL, 103W http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&affiliate=CN3

If I go with the GS for my 2017 order, this is the set of tires I will be getting for my winter needs to swap onto the stock rims post-October through March. Like you, I'd rather run the best tire for each season than go the middle route with all seasons.

Last edited by graj6; 05-01-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,659 Likes on 846 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by jcp911s
What conditions are you considering?

In MD, a set of all season performance tires should be enough. These will get you through the odd inch of snowfall.

If you get more than 1 inch, just stay home and telecommute.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter tires

Quick Reply: Winter tires