Installed CAGS now message

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 AM
bpjon65
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Installed CAGS now message

Installed the shift eliminator yesterday. Works great, however the word disabled has appeared and the engine light is on. What is going on?

Last edited by bpjon65; 04-28-2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Are you sure you bought the correct one for the C7? I think the resistor value may have changed from the C5/C6.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 04-28-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:56 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Are you sure you bought the correct one for the C7? I think the resistor value may have changed from the C5/C6.
I'm using my old C6 one and I have no issues/error codes !
you may have a faulty one.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:20 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

You may have put it on the wrong place. There are 2 spots this will fit. The one on top of the trans is for a reverse solenoid. CAGS will go on this but will not work and cause a CEL. The correct spot is on the side of the trans on the passenger side.

If you put this in the right spot, may be a bad CAGS defeat.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:33 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
You may have put it on the wrong place. There are 2 spots this will fit. The one on top of the trans is for a reverse solenoid. CAGS will go on this but will not work and cause a CEL. The correct spot is on the side of the trans on the passenger side.

But he said it works, so he must have at least disconnected the right one. By the way, the CAGS solenoid is the white one.

The CAGS bypass is just a resistor...so not sure how it would go bad unless overheated... If you have a volt/ohm meter, you might check the resistance value. If it shows zero, then you need a new one.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Default C7 CAGS Eliminator location

Originally Posted by C7-Beast

I was advised that the eliminator was located on the driver side of trans.

Dave K.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:46 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

I couldn't be bothered with this. It might be an issue once in a couple hundred shifts.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Here is a picture of it looking aft. It is the lower unit and is on the drivers side of the transmission.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I never understood why people bought these things for the C5 an C6, and I still don't understand it. Just don't shift out of 1st until 3K and above, which is the way it's meant to be driven.

I've never saw a 1-4 shift in my C6 Z51 or C6 Z06 until I purposely tried to make it happen. I've never seen it in the C7 Z51 either.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Gotta toss the BS flag on some of these comments. But, if it was to happen only once to me it would be one too many and well worth the $15 for the bypass.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 07:29 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

I really never understood the big deal people made about the stupid CAGS...I almost never shift from 1st to 2d when it would operate (<19 mph) and if for some reason I want to shift earlier, just do it slowly...it will shift and you obviously are not in a hurry if you need to do that....
CAGS eliminators are just a waste of money, imo....
Old 06-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
I really never understood the big deal people made about the stupid CAGS...I almost never shift from 1st to 2d when it would operate (<19 mph) and if for some reason I want to shift earlier, just do it slowly...it will shift and you obviously are not in a hurry if you need to do that....
CAGS eliminators are just a waste of money, imo....
Yep, can't see any reason at all to shift to 2nd at 19 mph in a Corvette. I would have guessed that people who felt the need to do that would be in automatics, but I guess I'm wrong. There still seem to be people buying those things, and now suffering the aggravation of warning lights.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,615 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by bpjon65
Installed the shift eliminator yesterday. Works great, however the word disabled has appeared and the engine light is on. What is going on?
Have had mine installed for ~ 2 1/2 years. Never had an issue. However it took about two months to get it as my September 2013 build was very early and there were reports of the ones tried by several vendors tripping codes! It does have a resistor that tricks the computer into thinking it energized the solenoid. Perhaps yours is not the correct value. This is a PDF of my install with some info and lots of pics: http://netwelding.com/Skip_Shift_Eliminator.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 06-17-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

I've seen the 1-4 message on my C7 more than I did on my C6. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it usually happens in traffic.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Well, if the macho shifters will put it back in their pants, there are many times in heavy traffic where you get tagged with the dreaded CAGS 1-4 nonsense. I DESPISED that thing coming on! I used the CAGS plug to delete it and after the warranty went away and the Super Charger went on, the tune put CAGS to bed permanently.

Be nice to people who don't "Drive it like we stole it!" every time we take the car out for a drive.

Elmer
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
BenCasey (06-18-2016), gurneyeagle (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Well, if the macho shifters will put it back in their pants, there are many times in heavy traffic where you get tagged with the dreaded CAGS 1-4 nonsense. I DESPISED that thing coming on! I used the CAGS plug to delete it and after the warranty went away and the Super Charger went on, the tune put CAGS to bed permanently.

Be nice to people who don't "Drive it like we stole it!" every time we take the car out for a drive.

Elmer
LOL . . . why? What is so macho about leaving it in first at 19 mph? I doubt you're turning more than 2K rpm.

No one deals w/ worse or more gridlocked traffic than I have commuting for more than 20 years to my job in downtown Washington, DC. Yet, I've never seen a 1-4 shift without trying to produce it in 3 different Corvettes.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-17-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:54 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

To me, this is very simple. Do you want your Vette to go into the gear you choose, or the gear it chooses for you? Even once? Under any circumstances?

I drive a stick because I want to choose my own gear. Every time. With no exceptions. Ever.

My C7 CAGS eliminator has worked perfectly for two years, as did my C6 CAGS eliminator for 8 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed CAGS now message

Old 06-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SASprof
To me, this is very simple. Do you want your Vette to go into the gear you choose, or the gear it chooses for you? Even once? Under any circumstances?

I drive a stick because I want to choose my own gear. Every time. With no exceptions. Ever.

My C7 CAGS eliminator has worked perfectly for two years, as did my C6 CAGS eliminator for 8 years.
To me this is also very simple.

I would never shift from 1st to 2nd until after I've reached 20 mph or above, thus it always goes into the gear I want every time. I can't think of a reason to shift before then, much less needing a piece of cheap hardware to prevent something I'd never do.

Obviously, there are other people who feel compelled to shift immediately from 1st to 2nd as soon as the wheels begin rolling since there's clearly a market for this device.

All I said is that I don't understand it. I was searching for a reason as to why people feel the need to shift so early, but it doesn't look like anyone is willing to explain why that is so important to them. It's just very counter-intuitive to me.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-18-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:25 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

OP, have you check the CAGS eliminator since you install it? did you cover the wire with additional heat shield or did you leave some of it hanging? If it's exposed, it may have been damaged. Just something to check.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:42 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
To me this is also very simple.

I would never shift from 1st to 2nd until after I've reached 20 mph or above, thus it always goes into the gear I want every time. I can't think of a reason to shift before then, much less needing a piece of cheap hardware to prevent something I'd never do.

Obviously, there are other people who feel compelled to shift immediately from 1st to 2nd as soon as the wheels begin rolling since there's clearly a market for this device.

All I said is that I don't understand it. I was searching for a reason as to why people feel the need to shift so early, but it doesn't look like anyone is willing to explain why that is so important to them. It's just very counter-intuitive to me.
Hey. Fair enough. For your driving style, you don't need / want an aftermarket device. I get it.

As for myself, I don't have any set shift point, like 20 mph, or anything else. It depends on traffic, road conditions, my mood, whether the car is warmed up or not, etc.

Sometimes I shift early, sometimes I hold a gear til redline. Sometimes I skip gears. For me, there's no one thing. It's all over the map.

The only thing I don't want is the car making a decision for me. I don't even want to have to think or worry about it. Just select my desired gear, whatever that may be, and it goes right in.

That's just me. We all have different driving / shifting styles. Nothing wrong with that.
The following users liked this post:
Corgidog1 (06-18-2016)

Quick Reply: Installed CAGS now message