Tuned or not??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:10 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Default Tuned or not??

Next summer I'm going to be looking for a used 15/16 Z06, hopefully with fairly low miles and a warranty. Something that doesn't break the budget too bad.
This is where my question comes in; how would I know as a buyer if the car I buy may have been tuned? Which we all know with a major failure voids the warranty. I'm pretty sure if the motor takes a dump with lets say with 10/15K on it, GM is going to want it checked out before putting that kind of money into it(replacement motor/or major repair). If they find it's been tuned they will surely deny the warranty claim, even though I didn't do it.
I posed this same question to my dealer service mgr. who is pretty Corvette savvy, his response was; "With a major engine failure especially on a Z, ZL1 etc. GM will undoubtedly check for mods and/or a ECM modification etc." He went on to say; "good question, we (the dealer) don't and wouldn't have any reason to check electronic mods (tunes) even on Certified Trade-in's, so I really don't have an answer for you"
How about my forum experts? Any thoughts on this issue?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Been a couple days with no replies -- guess no one has any ideas??
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The only thing I can think of is, make it a condition of the sale to have it checked out by a Chevy dealer knowledgeable in Corvettes. Have them certify that it's not been modded then obtain a print out.
I don't have my Vettes tuned for the reasons you listed in your first post. But I did buy used (from a Chevy dealer) and never thought to have that checked out. Interesting.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:36 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

What GM will look for are the flash counts and when the last flash occurred. If those don't agree with the dealer repair/maintenance/warranty work records, then they void the warranty. Not sure if a Chevy dealer can see those, or if the ECM data has to go to GM for that verification. You maybe can find that out from your Chevy Dealer contact.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 128 Posts

These days most dealers will not even do PPI's, so I strongly doubt you will get any dealer to certify that a car was never modified.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The only thing I can think of is, make it a condition of the sale to have it checked out by a Chevy dealer knowledgeable in Corvettes. Have them certify that it's not been modded then obtain a print out.
I don't have my Vettes tuned for the reasons you listed in your first post. But I did buy used (from a Chevy dealer) and never thought to have that checked out. Interesting.
I didn't see this until now, and what "road" said is exactly what I'd do. If it is tuned and it's been to a dealer, there is a chance it's already been "flagged" in the dealer/GM system.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

You can sometimes tell if there are other MODs on the car, like a cold air intake. I'm sure the right dealer can verify before you buy the car that it's running a stock computer.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:18 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all of the above replies. Sorry I was out of town for a couple days and couldn't watch the thread progress.
AORoads: I'm going back to the dealer next week (for tire price) and I'll see if the service manager has any new information. He said he would pose the "tuned" question in his next meeting. - thanks for the input.

I guess this question hanging out there really concerns me when buying an 75/85K used car. Maybe to the point of just skipping it and buying new. I hear all these guys saying "screw the warranty, a cars not fun unless it's modded", well I can't see paying that much for a non-warranty car. JMO
Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
What GM will look for are the flash counts and when the last flash occurred. If those don't agree with the dealer repair/maintenance/warranty work records, then they void the warranty. Not sure if a Chevy dealer can see those, or if the ECM data has to go to GM for that verification. You maybe can find that out from your Chevy Dealer contact.
I will -- thanks -- tom
Old 05-10-2016, 12:51 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

In a car like the Z06 and owners propensity to mod I would want to buy new...unless I knew the former owner or could at least talk with him.
I would certainly want a car of this type to be a certified used car and get as much protection as I could from the dealer.
There is always the chance that the former owner is a gotta have the newest and greatest, when it comes out and tired of it going for something new. Many Z06's are street cars only and are weekend drives for many. There will be many out there that would be no problem. Some research will go a long way in helping to alleviate your fears.
The following users liked this post:
kenownr (05-10-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Tuned or not??

Quick Reply: Tuned or not??