Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $1,700 flat tire....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 PM
tones_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Sucks about the tire, but it all worked out in the end, even if it cost you more money. Knowing that your baby is safe at home is worth it. I honestly would have done the same thing.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:30 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeCT
I wonder if a Slime kit with pump would have let you carry on with your trip? I've got one in the back for just such an occasion. I hope I never need it.
I carry plugs and small compressor run off of the cigarette lighter for occasions like this.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
The weather forecast looked perfect so me and the wife decided to spend the weekend in Brunswick, GA. So we packed our overnight bag, threw it in the back of the Z06 and headed out from Atlanta south to Brunswick. So we are 3 hours into our journey cruising down Hwy 16 listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40 (2nd week of June 1980 btw) on I Heart Radio when the Warning pops up on the screen for "low tire pressure." The left rear tire was down to 25 psi... 24 ... 23 .... 22.... 21.... you can see where this is going! Lucky for us, we were about a quarter mile from the next Exit. We pull into a BP station with 10psi left in the tire. I pull up to the air pressure pump, pump in 30 psi and start looking for the hole. The wife is slowly pulling the car forward as I am on the ground looking for the hole in the tire and she is calling out to me 25... 24... 23... 22.... you can see where this is going!

So the wife, being the more intelligent of the two, hits the OnStar button and calls for Roadside Assistance. Long story short, OnStar hooks us up with the right guy with the flat bed that can actually get the Z06 onto it without scraping and they tell us it'll be 20 minutes before he can get there.

We are 40 miles from Savannah and about 15 miles from Statesboro, GA. While we are waiting for the tow truck, the wife gets on the iPad and starts looking up and calling every tire place within 50 miles looking for a 335/25/20. She gets the first guy & she asks if they have a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire in this size and the guy on the other end goes, "What the hell is a Pilot Sport Cup 2 and what's that size again???" My wife quickly deduces that she is not dealing with a rocket scientist on the other end of the phone and says, "Do you have ANY tire in a 335/25/20?" At this point, all I wanted was the right size tire to get me home! The intellectual giant on the other end of the phone said that he didn't have anything in that size so my wife thanked him and called the next one. She called no less than 10 tire places and every one of them said the same thing, that they did not have any tires in that size. We then found the Chevy dealership in Statesboro, GA and decided to have the car towed there thinking that this would be the best bet to get the right size tire.

We arrived at the dealership and I was helping the tow driver get the car off the flatbed when my wife comes running out of the Service Department of the Dealership yelling that it will be a WEEK before they can get the right size tire! At first, I thought she was just kidding so I asked her, "You gotta be kidding me, right?" But no! Alas, my wife was telling the truth! A CHEVY Dealership was telling me it would take a WEEK to get the correct tire SIZE - I hadn't even asked specifically for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - I just wanted a 335/25/20 to get me home.

Not wanting to leave my Z06 in Podunk, GA (no offense to anyone who lives in Podunk, GA - it's a lovely place to visit, I just wouldn't want to live there - or have my Z06 serviced there!) I asked the wrecker driver how much to tow it home. He pulls out his pen and writes on a board that's in the back of the tow truck to do the math and says, "$1250." While I am doing this, the wife is again on with OnStar figuring out how much Chevy Roadside Assistance will cover and they state that because I got the Extended Warranty that they would cover up to the first 100 miles. Again, not wanting to leave my car where it will take them a WEEK to get a tire the right size, I decided to bite the bullet, pay the difference and have her towed home!

So the moral of the story is, don't get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere or be prepared to wait a WEEK to get a 335/25/20 tire! (And the wife says to keep your OnStar active! They were excellent in getting us the right tow truck and telling the tow truck driver exactly where we were. I have the Stage 3 aero package and got her on and off the slide back with zero scraping.)

Moral #2: Marrying the right woman - smartest thing I ever did!

P.S. Butler Tire in Austell, GA will have the tire to me by Monday afternoon!
Well written story! Thanks.
For fun just checked and TireRack shows rear Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP tires in stock for $582.
Frankly that is the problem with dealers they are using the GM warehouse that may or may not have something in stock.

This is my experience with the local Firestone dealer:
First: When I needed tires for my C6 they sent a truck 60 miles to Myrtle Beach to pick them up at no charge and they matched the TireRack price.
Second: I selected a particular Pirelli tire for the wife's' Porsche Cayenne and they checked a number of warehouses they use and the best they could do was getting them from California and I had to pay freight. I asked if it was a problem if I got them from TireRack. The quick answer was no problem we are a recommended TireRack installer (their rates are published and very reasonable.)
Called TireRack on my cell phone. The TireRack warehouse in GA had them in stock. They were at my home the following afternoon! I did not pay extra for quick delivery. Brought them over to Firestone and had them installed late that afternoon.

Just Sayn' for others who may think the "dealer" is the way to go. In fact our largest Chevy dealer who also sells BMW's and Mercedes, will not mount wide, low profile tires, they send them to the same Firestone store I use! They don't install enough to invest in the top of the line, touch-less install equipment. Even the Firestone dealer with 12 bays and some 20 technicians only has two or three fellows that they will have install wide, low profile tires, especially run flats. Even a C7 certified mechanic does not install enough tires to match someone who does it all the time. I watched as they did my C6. Even to the best equipment it is not easy. When I sell my 2014 and get a GS I can see them cringing if I bring it in for new tires or to fix a rear tire flat! That will be a big tip for the technician and I'll let him know ahead of time there is one coming for a good job!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-16-2016 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Monkey D. Luffy (05-16-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 10:29 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm learning a lot in this thread. Not just about the run flat tires but about OnStar vs. AAA as well; all of which is helpful info as I plan on some long trips.

It looks as if OnStar can get the roadside help to the car but you pay for it, and AAA gets the help to you and it's paid up to their limits if you can contact them. So if you have AAA and cell service wherever the breakdown occurs then OnStar is not much value, but if you have both and there is no cell service then OnStar can get AAA help to wherever you are, correct?

Does OnStar always work or does it have dead spots like cell service, or worse yet, dead spots like SiriusXM?

My apologies to TheVettePirate if this constitutes a thread hijacking. It just seemed like a good place to ask these questions. Please don't beat me up if I'm wrong. I really did try to find the answers in my owners manual.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:21 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I find this whole thread baffling. Why not just drive on the "flat" tire? That's the whole point of a Run Flat. Thicker, stiffer sidewalls to keep the wheel elevated from the ground to prevent wheel damage, even with zero pressure. Sure the tire may be unrepairable when you finally get back home, but that's the whole point of a Run Flat, to get you back home.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIG Dave:
Steve_R (05-15-2016), white90conv (12-01-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
I find this whole thread baffling. Why not just drive on the "flat" tire? That's the whole point of a Run Flat. Thicker, stiffer sidewalls to keep the wheel elevated from the ground to prevent wheel damage, even with zero pressure. Sure the tire may be unrepairable when you finally get back home, but that's the whole point of a Run Flat, to get you back home.
Bingo! That's what I said.

Except you said it better.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

what he said....
Old 05-16-2016, 12:27 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

One big problem with run-flats is the name. They don't actually go flat like regular tires. They run without going flat! I prefer the better designations that some tire companies use: ZP (zero pressure), P ZERO, SST (self supporting tires). But, the term RUN-FLAT has unfortunately become the common term.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:01 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Frankly, if i was in your situation, from what you have related, I would have limped home (or wherever you were headed, with a tire at that destination).

You can drive an awfully long way on a RF at zero pressure if you keep your speed down. If the tire is deemed unrepairable, then you have nothing to lose. The "50 mile" "limit" is the original distance that OEM C6 tires were deemed able to be driven at zero psi and still be considered structurally sound.

I have driven longer than that at zero psi, and the tire held up just fine. I've heard of 600 miles driven at zero psi with no damage to rim. Again, if the tire is already considered not reparable, you can't hurt the tire any more than it already is. If it does structurally fail, then tow from that point.
Exactly

As long as you keep the speeds down and don't do any crazy maneuvers at 0psi the stock runflats will take you a long way as long as there aren't big chunks of the tire missing.

If possible, do NOT remove whatever punctured the tire, add a can of fix-a-flat to attempt a better seal, and add air when needed if the leak is slow enough to hold any air for more than a few miles. You can drive a long way like this
Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 AM
pastohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire repair people don't always like the slime product but I have friends that swear by the product, put it in and drive the car, it should seal itself...the problem with repair plugs are how "fresh" are they... as time goes by they dry out and lose their ickumplecky...if fresh ones at a car parts place, they should hold as well... like Slime better than "fix a flat" can of stuff....my $.02
Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I had two cans of slime sitting around in my garage, and after reading this thread I put one of them in the C7's trunk cubby. Anyone know if one can is enough for our 19/20" wheels?

I have wheel and tire protection so I don't care if the tire gets shredded or even if the wheel itself gets damaged. As long as I can get home on the flat tire, that's all I expect from the run flats.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 AM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

not so great story, that is one of my worst fears,

i have aftermarket wheels and tires, and no longer use road flats,

we are making a road trip from orlando to greenville sc for july 4th weekend and stoping in savana the way up

i am planing on bringing a portabel air pump, tire plug kit and my wifes car jack from her mazda,

another options is to put the stockers back on for the trip,

Last edited by solarstingray; 05-16-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 AM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not put on your spare?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default You got what you deserved

Originally Posted by metal
Why not put on your spare?
While you called your wife - "my wife" twice - you also called her "the wife" 4 times. The female gods have you in their sights. But it's better than the "wifey" which I've seen more than once.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thank you for saying that!!! I too am completely baffled that anyone would stop and call for a tow, carry slime or a plug kit, carry a pump, or anything else. ZP tires are made to run with 0 psi. You don't need slime, a plug kit, a pump, or an expensive tow when you can simply drive on the tire safely with no pressure in it. People need to quit trying to out think the tire manufacturer and follow the instructions in their owner's manual if a ZP tire loses pressure.
Keithwinnfl (10-01-2020)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Riding Dirty
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never had a puncture any shop was willing to repair, and I've had several. They always want to sell you two new tires, matching tread wear. I got to the point that I started plugging them. I've gone years on plugs, no problem, just use a vulcanizing plug. This is for small punctures, of course.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

3 hours from home............ man I would have taken the next 6,8 or 10 to drive a leisurly back road trip to Atlanta. I dont fault the OPs reaction but I'd bet if he had to do it all over again he'd limp it home.

When the runflats came out on the C5 for some odd reason I had "flats" all the time, maybe 4. In all cases the goodyear was able to repair them just like a regular tire. Granted they where not huge holes.

But times have changed. I had a flat in a regular tire recently and the old LIABILITY issue raised its ugly head!!! Thanks Attorneys!!!!

Of course tire places love this too.

No disrespect to the OP but in these posts looks like we have 2 types of responders....... backyard mechanics who are comfortable making logical on you own repairs and those who need assistance. It all works out. Best thing is no one was hurt.

Get notified of new replies

To My $1,700 flat tire....

Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by TyBoo
I'm learning a lot in this thread. Not just about the run flat tires but about OnStar vs. AAA as well; all of which is helpful info as I plan on some long trips.

It looks as if OnStar can get the roadside help to the car but you pay for it, and AAA gets the help to you and it's paid up to their limits if you can contact them. So if you have AAA and cell service wherever the breakdown occurs then OnStar is not much value, but if you have both and there is no cell service then OnStar can get AAA help to wherever you are, correct?

Does OnStar always work or does it have dead spots like cell service, or worse yet, dead spots like SiriusXM?

My apologies to TheVettePirate if this constitutes a thread hijacking. It just seemed like a good place to ask these questions. Please don't beat me up if I'm wrong. I really did try to find the answers in my owners manual.
OnStar service in your car has a stronger transmitter than a regular phone....if I understand correctly...it should work wherever you are.

or you can drive along and play the "can you hear me now" game with the OnStar folks

I have never completely lost Sirius...only a brief interruption

Last edited by pewter99; 05-16-2016 at 10:14 AM.
TyBoo (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:22 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by TheVettePirate
The tire may have been able to be plugged or patched however the dealership stated they would not patch a high performance tire citing liability reasons.
which I find to be complete crap...

Selected Tire Manufacturers Policies for Run-Flat Tire Repair

The following list summarizes tire manufacturers' repair policies, however it should be noted that every tire manufacturer that consents to repair, does so only after the punctured tire has passed a thorough exterior and interior examination.
Manufacturer/Brand Repair Policy Additional Provisions
BFGoodrich Permitted 1 repair maximum
Bridgestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Continental Does not recommend Mfg. Road Hazard Program*
Dunlop Permitted
Firestone Permitted Only if 15 psi maintained
Goodyear Permitted
Kumho Permitted
Michelin Permitted 1 repair maximum
Pirelli Not endorsed Mfg. Road Hazard Program**
Yokohama Not to be repaired Mfg. Road Hazard Program***

more here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=225
Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Thank you for saying that!!! I too am completely baffled that anyone would stop and call for a tow, carry slime or a plug kit, carry a pump, or anything else. ZP tires are made to run with 0 psi. You don't need slime, a plug kit, a pump, or an expensive tow when you can simply drive on the tire safely with no pressure in it. People need to quit trying to out think the tire manufacturer and follow the instructions in their owner's manual if a ZP tire loses pressure.
Because if I am away from home I don't want to be limited to about 50 mph for about 50 miles. I can use my plug kit and portable air compressor and then go back to driving 70 mph and not fear 18 wheelers running over me.
NSC5 (05-16-2016)

Quick Reply: My $1,700 flat tire....