Sponsored by:

2016 Stingray Z51 A8 at Grattan Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:38 PM
principalpony
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 Stingray Z51 A8 at Grattan Raceway

Greetings! This was my first time on a track with my Vette and what a thrill it was! The A8 was flawless once I tried it in Drive Mode and the computer took over. It did so much better than I did in my first session with manual mode. The tranny temps were good, too. Never went above the half way point between 220 and 320 - guess that's about 270. I did switch to the Z06 intake vents just for a little extra air flow. Ambient temps were in the low 80's and it got sunny later in the afternoon.

Really looking forward to the Ron Fellows HPDE I'll attend later this month.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:03 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the video.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Sounds like mine!
The following users liked this post:
principalpony (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a great time. I cant wait to get mine out on a track.

I see you had sport 1 selected on the PTM.

Did you trust the PTM and floor the throttle after steering hard into the corners and let the computer manage the car? If so, what were you're thoughts on it?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Awesome thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 06:48 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 AM
principalpony
Instructor

Originally Posted by Subsonic
Looks like a great time. I cant wait to get mine out on a track.

I see you had sport 1 selected on the PTM.

Did you trust the PTM and floor the throttle after steering hard into the corners and let the computer manage the car? If so, what were you're thoughts on it?
I did not try that. I did try to push it harder with each session on the track, but not to the point of a spin out or even a drift. I was using the OEM Z51 summer only tires and brakes. They worked very well for me. I think I'll get a much better feel and understanding of just what this car can do when I go to Spring Mountain in a few weeks.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Mr. Stingray
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by principalpony
Greetings! This was my first time on a track with my Vette and what a thrill it was! The A8 was flawless once I tried it in Drive Mode and the computer took over. It did so much better than I did in my first session with manual mode. The tranny temps were good, too. Never went above the half way point between 220 and 320 - guess that's about 270. I did switch to the Z06 intake vents just for a little extra air flow. Ambient temps were in the low 80's and it got sunny later in the afternoon.

Really looking forward to the Ron Fellows HPDE I'll attend later this month.

Enjoy the ride!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NVa-8SzcIo
I've driven Grattan many times in a car as well as racing my bicycle in Masters Racing there..great track!! It can be tricky as some of those corners are off camber and require patience..looks like you had a great time. One question..did you buy track insurance for your car? If so, how much was it?..we have an SCCA event here in 2 weeks and the insurance compant said $400 for the event to cover a 65k car...ouch!!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM
principalpony
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Stingray
I've driven Grattan many times in a car as well as racing my bicycle in Masters Racing there..great track!! It can be tricky as some of those corners are off camber and require patience..looks like you had a great time. One question..did you buy track insurance for your car? If so, how much was it?..we have an SCCA event here in 2 weeks and the insurance compant said $400 for the event to cover a 65k car...ouch!!
I, too, have driven the track at Grattan several times before, but with Mustangs until now. I did not, and have not, ever bought track insurance. This event was a 3-***** Racing HPDE. There was a Camero that lost it on the last turn and ended up on the bank across from the paddock area before driving back down on the track. That took off the front bumper facia, but I think that was about it. I haven't checked into track insurance, but I understand it has a high deductible so unless you really messed up (like totaling your car), I don't know as it is worth it.

Is the SCCA event a racing event, not a HPDE? If it is, that's whole other ball game.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Stingray Z51 A8 at Grattan Raceway

Quick Reply: 2016 Stingray Z51 A8 at Grattan Raceway