C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you taken the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:51 PM
Firebirdone
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Have you taken the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School?

Just curious as to how many of you have taken advantage of this course.

I've just returned from a weekend in Vegas having taken the 2 day Corvette Owners School and I can attest that I have learned SO much about my C7. (My career is in IT, so by nature I researched the SH*T out of the C7 before I bought it, but I still learned so much more from the course.)

I was on the fence on whether I should do this or not, but I can now tell you all that it was an incredible experience and it has really opened my eyes to what this car can do in the right driver's hands.

Not only do you learn how to properly drive your car, you also learn to respect the power and handling of the C7 Stingray. You get basic tech tips on the engine, oil, brake fluid and braking systems in general.

All of the instructors are really cool guys and know how to train you based on your abilities regardless of age or past experience.

I would highly encourage all C7 owners to take advantage of this opportunity to get the proper instruction and knowledge of the car you purchased.

My tips would be:
Bring an SD card and record your first track go around. (No need to record the exercises in braking, skid path, or oval.) Then compare that to your last day track laps and you can see the difference the instructors have taught you.
I did not record the first day and I regret that.

Not much to do in the town of Pahrump, NV after 9p so get your dinner plans set and enjoy a great night's sleep in your condo. (complete with a full size fridge and kitchen)

Don't be "that guy" and ask too many questions of the instructors to demonstrate you know more than the rest of the class.

I've still got "permagrin" going on.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, I've been there twice, and it's an excellent learning experience. Your advice about not being "that guy" is on the money. Both times I was there, I had them in my group, and in each case, their self-confidence conflicted w/ reality.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

My wife was there July 5-6. LOVED IT !!😄😄
Now I've got to go after my Grand Sport comes in. Just watching the groups from the tower on day 1 and then again on day 2 was amazing !!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 AM
kennedyd
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Raider, I was there July 5-6 also. You should have sat in on the classes and done the ride alongs with the instructors - you would have really enjoyed it and you would have been more than welcome by the instructors.
For those who haven't been, the course is tremendous regardless of your driving skill level. You will learn about driving techniques AND about the capabilities of the automobile you just purchased. I highly recommend it for any Corvette owner.
Don't wait for your invitation from GM. Call with your VIN and get signed up - you won't regret it!
The following users liked this post:
Firebirdone (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:11 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I was there in May for the 3 day class. I was also there about 8-7 years ago. It is an awesome experience for sure!

From May:
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 AM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by kennedyd
Raider, I was there July 5-6 also. You should have sat in on the classes and done the ride alongs with the instructors - you would have really enjoyed it and you would have been more than welcome by the instructors.
For those who haven't been, the course is tremendous regardless of your driving skill level. You will learn about driving techniques AND about the capabilities of the automobile you just purchased. I highly recommend it for any Corvette owner.
Don't wait for your invitation from GM. Call with your VIN and get signed up - you won't regret it!
Hi kennedyd,
My wife was in the white class. I was the guy always wearing Raider stuff at the meals. It's FREE ������. I did sit in on all the classes and was offered a ride along but wanted to go up in the tower and take pictures. I didn't go to the school with my 2014 as scheduling just didn't work out but definitely going after my Grand Sport gets here.

Last edited by Raiderh20boy; 07-25-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 AM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Amazing!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,471 Likes on 742 Posts

I was there Feb 10-11 2016 and took my son as a guest. We had a great time. I learned alot about my C7 and on how to drive it. Tommy was able do everything i did but drive a car. He did spent a lot of time in the pace car with the instructors and out on the track with the spotters and took some great photos.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

There is plenty to do at the school for a guy like me. Eat, drink, swim, relax, rinse and repeat.

You can keep Vegas.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Raiderh20boy
Hi kennedyd,
My wife was in the blue class. I was the guy always wearing Raider stuff at the meals. It's FREE 😄😄😄..
Hook a brother up
Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM
dash7510
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

Yep, I just got back from my 20-21 July class and loved it. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Sandi587
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just now signed my wife up for the Oct 11-12 class. She's never had any formal high performance driver training. I think it will be a huge boost for her self confidence behind the wheel. And I will be less concerned knowing she has the training to safely handle the car.

Who knows, after the school the bug might bite and she might even want to participate in an HPDE day.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Al Engel
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Been There, Done That... 3X

1st time, 2011 after buying my 5th Vette on GM's discount, a 2011 2nd time, 2012 on my dime - Level 2 course... 'intense'!
3rd time, 2014 on GM discount, after buying my 2014 C7 Z51, Awesome!

Planning on a Level 2 visit in 2017....

Al Engel, "Save the Wave"
Old 07-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

My inexperienced wife took it with me in March. She was intimidated at first but the good instructors helped and she came out feeling it way a peak experience.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:57 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Did the 3 day class back in June 2014. Great experience.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Thom1986
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ron Fellows School

Originally Posted by Firebirdone
Just curious as to how many of you have taken advantage of this course.

I've just returned from a weekend in Vegas having taken the 2 day Corvette Owners School and I can attest that I have learned SO much about my C7. (My career is in IT, so by nature I researched the SH*T out of the C7 before I bought it, but I still learned so much more from the course.)

I was on the fence on whether I should do this or not, but I can now tell you all that it was an incredible experience and it has really opened my eyes to what this car can do in the right driver's hands.

Not only do you learn how to properly drive your car, you also learn to respect the power and handling of the C7 Stingray. You get basic tech tips on the engine, oil, brake fluid and braking systems in general.

All of the instructors are really cool guys and know how to train you based on your abilities regardless of age or past experience.

I would highly encourage all C7 owners to take advantage of this opportunity to get the proper instruction and knowledge of the car you purchased.

My tips would be:
Bring an SD card and record your first track go around. (No need to record the exercises in braking, skid path, or oval.) Then compare that to your last day track laps and you can see the difference the instructors have taught you.
I did not record the first day and I regret that.

Not much to do in the town of Pahrump, NV after 9p so get your dinner plans set and enjoy a great night's sleep in your condo. (complete with a full size fridge and kitchen)

Don't be "that guy" and ask too many questions of the instructors to demonstrate you know more than the rest of the class.

I've still got "permagrin" going on.
Yes, was there this past March, driving there Z06, it was awesome!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Firebirdone
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raiderh20boy
My wife was there July 5-6. LOVED IT !!😄😄
Now I've got to go after my Grand Sport comes in. Just watching the groups from the tower on day 1 and then again on day 2 was amazing !!
As I was leaving, I overheard one of the instructors say they have the Grand Sports C7's coming in.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you taken the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Didn't go after we purchased the '14, but my wife is going in August after we purchased her '16. I will likely go after we take delivery of our new GS!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Dennis911
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy all. Can't wait. Heading out to Pahrump on Aug. 8 & 9. Looking forward to this based on all of your positive reviews. Hope to see some of you there.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes.
Icing on the cake, I got a hot lap after launch control demo. Wheeeeee!!!!

Quick Reply: Have you taken the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School?