Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:03 AM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Gas

what type of gas do you use? I need to top off my tank, I dont know what the dealer put in the car. But I was in town and filled it up with high test. My main question is Do you guys think as long as its high test does it matter what company it comes from? Last time when I was in town I went to shell oil.
On my 2 c-4s I did get the best mileage from the mid grade.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

What we think does not signify. The GM owners manual specifically calls out premium gasoline. If you use a lower octane fuel, the engine will dial back spark advance to reduce possible damage from detonation. Don't make your engine do that.

The best fuel comes from gas stations that are part of the Top Tier program, and guarantee to use an additive package that exceeds the minimum EPA detergent requirements. Go to http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I only buy from brand name or big chain dealers and only buy 93 octane. I believe the C7 is more forgiving than the C5 where it was best to use Chevron or Shell for the additives.
I never use independent dealers. I know all gasoline comes from the limited number of refineries. However, the larger dealers tend to take better care of their equipment at the stations and, in this area, they don't cheat on the octane. Some independents here were caught mixing their premium with lower octane.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
The best fuel comes from gas stations that are part of the Top Tier program, and guarantee to use an additive package that exceeds the minimum EPA detergent requirements. Go to http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/
Gasoline certified as "Top-Tier" has nothing to do with emissions or EPA requirements. It is a standard that was developed by various manufacturers (Audi, BMW, GM, and others) to specify detergent and other additives necessary to prevent the build-up of engine deposits and keep the valves and other internals free from coking and carbon deposits over the long-term. You won't notice the difference in a single tank of gas.

Some fuels not on the Top Tier list may contain equally effective additives, but the fact they are not on the list just means they haven't bothered to have their fuels certified. Chevron, Shell, BP, Exxon-Mobile, Costco, etc. are all Top Tier, but there are many others.

If you stick to buying premium fuel from big-name suppliers, you're getting the best fuel available.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-08-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

93 octane is what I go with...
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Get the best gas available. Why spend 70K on a car and worry about pennies.
The following users liked this post:
lpabsolute (08-09-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 AM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I buy any brand. Never had any problems. Shell occasionally pings for me.
Always premium.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:35 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Get the best gas available. Why spend 70K on a car and worry about pennies.
Maybe because, over the life of the car, those pennies add up to thousands of dollars?
The following 2 users liked this post by defaria:
air86 (08-08-2016), jmmoh (10-20-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I've tried a couple tank fulls of Walmart 93 ethanol blend, but my car seems to prefer 91 non ethanol blend from a regional grocery store chain (Hy-Vee)

If traveling, I try to go for whatever hi octane I can get. Lots of stations around here only got 87 and 87 ethanol blend, so it's best to start looking for gas a bit before you're desperate.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
Gasoline certified as "Top-Tier" has nothing to do with emissions or EPA requirements. It is a standard that was developed by various manufacturers (Audi, BMW, GM, and others) to specify detergent and other additives necessary to prevent the build-up of engine deposits and keep the valves and other internals free from coking and carbon deposits over the long-term. You won't notice the difference in a single tank of gas.

Some fuels not on the Top Tier list may contain equally effective additives, but the fact they are not on the list just means they haven't bothered to have their fuels certified. Chevron, Shell, BP, Exxon-Mobile, Costco, etc. are all Top Tier, but there are many others.

If you stick to buying premium fuel from big-name suppliers, you're getting the best fuel available.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.

Control of Air Pollution From Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards
A Rule by the Environmental Protection Agency on 04/28/2014

Several major gasoline marketers have adopted Top Tier for their gasoline. It is widely accepted that conformance with the Top Tier IVD and FID control testing requirements is more challenging than complying with the standard EPA IVD and FID testing requirements. Accepting IVD/FID test data that complies with the Top Tier requirements in place of the standard EPA IVD/FID testing requirements will provide significant savings to industry from reduced deposit control testing while maintaining the emissions benefits of EPA's gasoline deposit control program. These changes are being codified in the regulations at §§ 80.161(b), 80.163(a)(1)(iii), 80.164(a), 80.165, 80.167(a), 80.176, and 80.177.
Show citation box

The comments we received were in favor of the proposal to accept test data that demonstrates compliance with the Top Tier program as alternative compliance data under EPA's deposit control program. Chevron stated that their extensive experience with deposit control and related vehicle/engine performance testing, combined with the vast body of technical literature on the subject, shows that compliance with Top Tier IVD/FID requirements provides improvements in emissionsand performance compared to fuels with deposit control additive levels that merely meet EPA's deposit control requirements.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 AM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by defaria
Maybe because, over the life of the car, those pennies add up to thousands of dollars?
That's Prius thinking. Please feel free to see your Toyota dealer for a nice hybrid.

Last edited by fnbrowning; 08-08-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:51 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

When looking for gas, I think more like this:

Than this:

Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM
drobbins
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

when I first bought a car (it was a truck) with a direct injection engine I was amazed at how much power it made and still got pretty good mileage. I wondered about what possible downside there could be from this seemingly miraculous technology. In reading around the web I saw references to DI engines having a problem over time with carbon buildup on the back side of the intake valves. apparently in older engines the fuel air combo flowing over the valve helps keep it clean and injecting the fuel directly into the cylinder loses that effect. AAA recently released a report saying you should only use name brand fuels in direct injection engines.

http://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/fi...ull-Report.pdf
see bottom of page 9

I'm speculating that the detergents in the fuel help solve this problem
this is a lot of speculation on my part but I stopped buying cheap gas from the no-name gas stations

Dave

Last edited by drobbins; 08-08-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
5000 miles a year at 17mpg =300 gallons- and using a 10 cent a gallon savings equals a whopping 30 bucks for the year-20 cent saving doubles that to an astronomical 60 buck savings for the year.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:31 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I use Chevron, I live in Oregon and we have 93 octane. In the states south of here it is 92. Not a fuel expert. Don't know why it is lower in Ca and Az.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Sorry, but that's incorrect.

Control of Air Pollution From Motor Vehicles: Tier 3 Motor Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards
A Rule by the Environmental Protection Agency on 04/28/2014
No, what I said is correct.

The doc you published has nothing to do with the reason the Top Tier standard was developed, which was NOT for emissions reasons. It was to reduce warranty claims and customer angst due to carbon-fouled engines.

What you posted simply says the EPA will accept the Top Tier certification standard as an alternative to their testing program, but it has nothing to do with why the standard was originally developed. The 2014 EPA rule change means fuel suppliers will no longer have to perform the EPA test, if their fuel is Top Tier certified. However, Top Tier long predates EPA requirements.

In the 80's the problem got so bad for some manufacturers, that they recommended an additive be added to fuel to address the carbon deposit issue. I remember well following BMW's recommendation to add a bottle of "Techron" (manufactured by Chevron) every other fill-up in my BMW 325e. Eventually, BMW and manufacturers and agreed to develop a standard (Top Tier) whereby all the appropriate additives would be added to gasoline. Shortly after, Chevron began adding Techron to their fuel so that the customer no longer had to.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-08-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: additional info
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks Guys, I just topped off with shell 93 octain + cleaners or something like that.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas

Old 08-08-2016, 12:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

I use Top Tier often but sometimes hard to swallow the extra cost! Just filled up at the Shell Station that had good prices but was recently sold and for hi-test paid $2.63/gal. Sam's Club, which is not Top Tier was $2.18 that same day. I like Sam's since they pump a lot of gas and only have regular and 93 Octane so no rusty tank residual or old gas.

Per the manual I also use the GM gasoline additive at each oil change since I don't use Top Tier all the time. Figure it might help the injectors and it definitely helps with buildup on the fuel sender. Folks have reported this issue and getting it replaced is costly. In fact some have reported their dealer solved the fuel level sender issue with several bottles of that same GM additive (part number is in the Owner's Manual, I buy from Amazon.). Charged them ~$100.

The issue is sulfer in the gas, which all have to some degree, depends on where the dinosaur died and the oil that the gas was refined from!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-08-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

You want a gas with a good detergent additive and using a top tier gas assures you'll do that. I had to have the valves on a BMW blasted to remove deposits because I was using gas without the right detergents to keep the engine clean. It met the octane requirements and that's all I paid attention to. This was back in the 1980's when BMW developed a test to determine how well a gas cleaned engines.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 08-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,440 Likes on 14,049 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would use premium grade from a known company. That's just my preference.

Quick Reply: Gas