Do you like the attention?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:18 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

All four of the Vettes I've owned got extra attention. However the C7 gets as much attention as the 69 C3 vert, maybe more. I've had several folks stop in traffic or track me down in a parking lot to tell me the Cyber Gray C7 is the best looking car they've ever seen.
For some reason the 69 received a LOT more attention from really attractive young ladies, than the C7. Maybe because the guy driving the 69 vert was a mid 20's single dude and the guy driving the C7 also has a Medicare card. Ya think?
BTW, never owned a red vette, silver 69, brown 79, gray 04, gray14

Last edited by roadbike56; 08-21-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Worthington
Funny you mention this, I've noticed far more than any of my other vettes and I am not the sort to look for it so I'm sure I'm missing a lot of it.

That said, people need to be careful. Last night my uncle wanted to go to a restaurant in a town that isn't the safest. We go there, it's dark, I pull into a parking spot nose first in a fairly empty parking lot and this guy in a tinted SUV pulls up behind me essentially blocking me in and stopped. He doesn't say anything, just sits there.

I literally had my gun unholstered and in hand behind me as I turned to him and he then went "Hey, Nice car! Is that new?"..... Not a fun situation, fortunately it didn't go anywhere bad but man, people need to use their heads.
People can get a little aggressive, I had a few twenty-something hipsters corner me in front of a Jimmy Johns (I just wanted a sandwich lol) and demanded to know what I did for a living to afford the car and how all three of them could buy a small house for what the car costs. It just wasnt fair according to them. One guy was right in my face, not a whole lot of things you can do, I just told them it was my boss's car and if something happened to it I would get fired and they walked away.

So not all attention is good..
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Worthington
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
People can get a little aggressive, I had a few twenty-something hipsters corner me in front of a Jimmy Johns (I just wanted a sandwich lol) and demanded to know what I did for a living to afford the car and how all three of them could buy a small house for what the car costs. It just wasnt fair according to them. One guy was right in my face, not a whole lot of things you can do, I just told them it was my boss's car and if something happened to it I would get fired and they walked away.

That wouldn't have been a fun situation either.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:01 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

The bold part make me laugh, and I think I would have told them that mommy and daddy shouldn't have led them to believe life is fair and everyone gets a participation trophy.

I fear for the day that I am old and have these Gen-Y types making policy decisions in the country.
The following 2 users liked this post by HalfMoon:
Playboy2 (08-23-2016), Rebel Yell (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 04:15 PM
B&BVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

Our Corvettes get all kinds of attention! When somebody says something nice about a car I just thank them and offer a thumbs up👍.
Rebel Yell (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by kp

Not a good situation for sure. However, sadly I would be in the magistrates office with hand cuffs on if someone got in my face. It's one of the hazards of being an old retired Cop. Homey don't play that s&*t.
Skid Row Joe (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Not a good situation for sure. However, sadly I would be in the magistrates office with hand cuffs on if someone got in my face. It's one of the hazards of being an old retired Cop. Homey don't play that s&*t.
I didnt think getting into a fight over it and potentially getting arrested or sued would be a good outcome, especially over parking a nice car in front of a sandwich shop.

I guess the cool thing about being those broke kids is you have nothing to lose by doing/saying stupid stuff, lot of people are just trolling for a fight and when they lose they start looking for someone to sue.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM
hypeiv
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't mind if someone says they like my car. But one pet peeve is when someone walks up and starts telling me about a fast car they own or used to own with out me asking about it... You know the guy that says "I like your vette I used to own a mustang cobra 500 HP" blah blah blah.

I make a point to not mention what I own or used to own when I complement others unless they ask.
The following 3 users liked this post by hypeiv:
Rebel Yell (08-21-2016), Skid Row Joe (08-22-2016), woodsguy (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:11 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

^^^^^ One of our huge pet peeves as well. Please tell us about your car (briefly!), but also listen to us as well???!!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:18 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kp

Originally Posted by Worthington
That wouldn't have been a fun situation either.
Originally Posted by HalfMoon
The bold part make me laugh, and I think I would have told them that mommy and daddy shouldn't have led them to believe life is fair and everyone gets a participation trophy.

I fear for the day that I am old and have these Gen-Y types making policy decisions in the country.
Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Crazy that we live in times where we now have to defend success and any display of prosperity. Perhaps we need to carry a box of "participation trophies" in our cars just so that we don't hurt anyone's feelings when we park.

Sorry, but I don't think I would have handled a socially aggressive 20-something hipster the same way if he would have "demanded" an explanation for my success. I couldn't afford a new Corvette when I was 20-something so it's too bad his feelings were hurt over his definition of fairness and inability to afford a new Corvette in his 20s when he's working a part time job and surfing websites at Starbucks. What an ***-hat

In the meantime, two multi-millionaires debate how they are going to save the country...

Last edited by MSG C5; 08-21-2016 at 06:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MSG C5:
BRussell (08-21-2016), Rebel Yell (08-21-2016), Vetteram (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:27 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

What attention? get little to none. Get some attention at the drags and very little otherwise.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:39 PM
VetCubed
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JenFZ09
I traded my Camaro for my new vette. I bought it solely for the performance and driving experience. I normally don't buy red cars, but this car was the best out of the seven I test drove, and at 20% off MSRP, it won.

What I'm not used to is the sheer amount of attention I've been getting. I don't know if it's because it's red or because it's a vette, or that a red vette looks like a Ferrari. I'm in my 30's and female and look okay, so maybe it's the "chick in vette" that's getting the attention. My Camaro got looks (white with orange racing stripes), but nothing like this.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of this attention. I'm not looking for attention, I'm out to enjoy my car.

How do you deal with all of the commotion this car causes?!? Do you like it?

(The best part about today besides driving this incredible car, was that a biker gave me the biker wave. I ride motorcycles, hence the FZ-09, and never got the wave while in a car)
I'm right there with you. Professional, happily married female in my 30s. I don't exactly enjoy the attention but I knew what I was getting into by choosing it. She's fun and totally worth it.

Corvettes really should come with a warning label stating you'll never pump gas in peace again. I don't mind those that want to ask about her or briefly reminisce about their previous cars. It's the people that think because I'm a female in a vette and responded to your discussion, making a crass pass is now acceptable. Get back in your beat-up Honda with a coffee can exhaust and be on your way. I have no problem giving those people a dose of humility.

Last edited by VetCubed; 08-21-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Rebel Yell (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by VetCubed
I'm right there with you. Professional, happily married female in my 30s. I don't exactly enjoy the attention but I knew what I was getting into by choosing it. She's fun and totally worth it.

Corvettes really should come with a warning label stating you'll never pump gas in peace again. I don't mind those that want to ask about her or briefly reminisce about their previous cars. It's the people that think because I'm a female in a vette and responded to your discussion, making a crass pass is now acceptable. Get back in your beat-up Honda with a coffee can exhaust and be on your way. I have no problem giving those people a dose of humility.
No one, especially a female should have to put up that. Sadly as stated, the world we live know has become a sad place. Many want respect, but do not believe they owe respect to others. Manners, and morals have gone the way of the DoDo bird.
VetCubed (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I like it at times, but sometimes i just wanna be low key and get my business done. But I have always had two cars. So I dont need to drive my vette every single day. Although most days I do because its fun
I agree, most times I just want to be left alone and it seems at least once a day someone would say something. I have had the car for 2.5 years now and to me the novelty has worn off. I keep forgetting that its others who don't see it every day.

Originally Posted by justplainjim
I honestly don't like the attention, especially at gas stations.
I agree with this as well. I just want to fill my tank up and leave, its not a car show.

Originally Posted by C2367
What attention? get little to none. Get some attention at the drags and very little otherwise.
I think this depends on your area. I originally had my car in Vegas and got little to no attention. People on here were claiming all the atterntion and I am like damn I am getting nothing. Fast forward to this year I have moved from Vegas to Ohio and it seems that people can't stop talking to me. I have had people pull up at traffic lights and do everything but throw something at the car to get my attention. I was told I have the batmobile on several occasions.

My personal feeling on the whole attention thing is. I liked it when it was new and I was excited to drive it and see how many people comment. But its the same questions over and over again and Now I just want to be left alone to do what I need to do and don't want the rockstar status no more. I just picked up a 16 Subaru Crosstrek so my Vette has become a garage queen once again until I decide to part with it. 40k dollars can be used for alot of other stuff.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I've had mine for over two years. I can't say I don't notice the attention, but I don't go looking for it either and it certainly doesn't bother me. For those of you who don't like it or are bothered by it perhaps you should trade it in on a Camry.

Last edited by Steve_R; 08-21-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Crazy that we live in times where we now have to defend success and any display of prosperity. Perhaps we need to carry a box of "participation trophies" in our cars just so that we don't hurt anyone's feelings when we park.

Sorry, but I don't think I would have handled a socially aggressive 20-something hipster the same way if he would have "demanded" an explanation for my success. I couldn't afford a new Corvette when I was 20-something so it's too bad his feelings were hurt over his definition of fairness and inability to afford a new Corvette in his 20s when he's working a part time job and surfing websites at Starbucks. What an ***-hat

In the meantime, two multi-millionaires debate how they are going to save the country...
I was a little taken aback at the whole thing. I didn't know if the guy wanted to fight, his buddies were going to start vandalizing the car when I went in inside or what was going on. At first I thought he was kidding around but when I wouldn't tell him where I worked he was getting agitated. Being outnumbered and legally armed I wasnt about to let it escalate, as soon as I said it wasn't my car they backed off. Wasn't the time or the place to make a stand.

And I had my sandwich in peace

Last edited by kp; 08-21-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:13 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetCubed

Exactly why my wife refuses to drive the C7, or any other flashy car, these days.

People have no class anymore

Get notified of new replies

To Do you like the attention?

Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default funny you should ask

I had a torch red '12 GS Conv, chromed factory wheels and for awhile I took a raft of s........I now have (and hopefully will never give up) a '14 red Conv Z51 1lt 7 MT and it's been very pleasantly quiet....just a few waves from other Vette owners
Old 08-21-2016, 07:20 PM
WBT
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

This is my 2nd C7. Both of my C7s seem to attract attention. Frankly I've become use to it. My good looks and overwhelming personality have always attracted the chicks, but still I've noticed that the females definitely like the C7.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:26 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

No.
The attention is the only thing I hate about owning Corvettes.
Everything else is awesome.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 08-21-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you like the attention?