Z51 With MRC & Without - for seasoned track veterans only please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Worthington
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Z51 With MRC & Without - for seasoned track veterans only please

Hey Guys,

I'm searching and just finding a bunch of people talking about how great MRC is but most if not all don't seem to have much track experience.

Can someone who has a decent amount of track time with the C7 Z51 tell me what the difference really equates to on the track? Does one of the options give you a better handling car and as a result better lap times, are they equal?

I've read that the Z51 without MRC has a different suspension but no explanation on whether or not that makes a significant difference or not.

Last edited by Worthington; 08-21-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Worthington
Hey Guys,

I'm searching and just finding a bunch of people talking about how great MRC is but most if not all don't seem to have much track experience.

Can someone who has a decent amount of track time with the C7 Z51 tell me what the difference really equates to on the track? Does one of the options give you a better handling car and as a result better lap times, are they equal?

I've read that the Z51 without MRC has a different suspension but no explanation on whether or not that makes a significant difference or not.
I started a similar discussion before committing to a base Z51 w/o MRC.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-duty.html

I have since finished up my car prep and started attending track days, and so far I'm pretty happy.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ack-build.html

No MRC allows much easier suspension mods, and it also comes with much stiffer springs, which make it easier to tune the car for track tires. It seems MRC Z51 car is great for what it's tuned to be, but becomes feeling too soft once you diverge from stock, like aero mods, R-compound tires, or even race pads.

In short, if you'll drive your suspension bone-stock, MRC car would probably be better for you. If you, however, intend to improve the car's handling beyond what GM intended, it might be harder to do so with MRC.

Last edited by X25; 08-21-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 867 Likes on 397 Posts

Hey Guys,

I don't but Bill Dearborn does (forum member and tech contributor). Try paging him in the title. He'd be glad to share his experience.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:19 PM
Worthington
Pro

Originally Posted by X25

I have since finished up my car prep and started attending track days, and so far I'm pretty happy.

No MRC allows much easier suspension mods, and it also comes with much stiffer springs, which make it easier to tune the car for track tires. It seems MRC Z51 car is great for what it's tuned to be, but becomes feeling too soft once you diverge from stock, like aero mods, R-compound tires, or even race pads.
Thanks X25!

So I guess the question is, can I do mods without voiding the warranty? IE: Did I choose the best option for track usage if I want to also maintain my warranty?

I've never had MRC and have plenty of seat time on the track so I don't think it will bother me, just curious if I made a poor choice not finding one with MRC.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks X25!

So I guess the question is, can I do mods without voiding the warranty? IE: Did I choose the best option for track usage if I want to also maintain my warranty?

I've never had MRC and have plenty of seat time on the track so I don't think it will bother me, just curious if I made a poor choice not finding one with MRC.
FE3 is already pretty well setup for track use, and biased more towards track use, so you don't need to regret. FE4 (MRC) would be significantly more comfortable at the street, though, if it's important for you. It will also perform a bit better, especially at a rough track since it can get soft within milliseconds to suck up bumps, and stiffen back for the next turn. Again, this assumes you keeping everything stock. Once you start modding, even as simple as R-compound tires, the dynamics will be poorly effected since the MRC shocks' tune will be off.

Regarding warranty, the safest bet is to stay completely stock, but even when you make changes, they'd have to prove that your changes caused the issue. I personally don't tolerate b.s. from dealers anymore: if I think my mod might have caused the issue, I'd not go to dealer at all. If I think it's their responsibility, I'd be ready to take them to court if they deny it.

Last edited by X25; 08-21-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Worthington
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
FE3 is already pretty well setup for track use, and biased more towards track use, so you don't need to regret. FE4 (MRC) would be significantly more comfortable at the street, though, if it's important for you. It will also perform a bit better, especially at a rough track since it can get soft within milliseconds to suck up bumps, and stiffen back for the next turn. Again, this assumes you keeping everything stock. Once you start modding, even as simple as R-compound tires, the dynamics will be poorly effected since the MRC shocks' tune will be off.

Regarding warranty, the safest bet is to stay completely stock, but even when you make changes, they'd have to prove that your changes caused the issue. I personally don't tolerate b.s. from dealers anymore: if I think my mod might have caused the issue, I'd not go to dealer at all. If I think it's their responsibility, I'd be ready to take them to court if they deny it.
Thanks man. I did very well in the C6 Z51 which I was putting down 385whp in. I can tell by the little driving I've done in this that my braking zones are going to get MUCH smaller and that I will be able to carry far more speed through corners now.

Additionally, the track I go to is 3 years old and have brand new race compound so the bump stuff that you say MRC addresses are non issues for me.

I'll likely pick up a second set of wheels/tires and run some R compounds which I suspect will have a much bigger impact on my times than anything else and won't hurt the warranty.

Thanks for the input -all I could find were people saying MRC is great, but nobody really explaining what you gained / lost if tracking it is your only interest.

I drive mine on the street often too but could care less about the stiffness. The C7 is a huge step forward in comfort over my C6 as is.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:49 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm looking forward to the day you can tune mag select ride control.
I wonder if Z07 package mag ride has a different algorithm than base Z06 or base GS...

I asked a Vette mech and he thought it could be done, but his response wasn't exactly confident inspiring.

Surely Corvette race team aren't using GM's OEM algorithm. Or are they using MSRC?

Last edited by Kamran; 08-21-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks man. I did very well in the C6 Z51 which I was putting down 385whp in. I can tell by the little driving I've done in this that my braking zones are going to get MUCH smaller and that I will be able to carry far more speed through corners now.

Additionally, the track I go to is 3 years old and have brand new race compound so the bump stuff that you say MRC addresses are non issues for me.

I'll likely pick up a second set of wheels/tires and run some R compounds which I suspect will have a much bigger impact on my times than anything else and won't hurt the warranty.

Thanks for the input -all I could find were people saying MRC is great, but nobody really explaining what you gained / lost if tracking it is your only interest.

I drive mine on the street often too but could care less about the stiffness. The C7 is a huge step forward in comfort over my C6 as is.
Just realized you're from Seattle; are you talking about RMP? I live in Redmond!

I've recently done my first track day at the Ridge with temps below 90, and the car felt great. I will be back this Friday, and try to fix a few mistakes I've been doing (which I realized from analyzing the video). You should definitely come along with us when you have time!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Did I make a poor choice not getting MSRC?
probably
Old 08-21-2016, 04:01 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran
I'm looking forward to the day you can tune mag select ride control.
I wonder if Z07 package mag ride has a different algorithm than base Z06 or base GS...

I asked a Vette mech and he thought it could be done, but his response wasn't exactly confident inspiring.

Surely Corvette race team aren't using GM's OEM algorithm. Or are they using MSRC?
DSC Motorsports replaces the control module with their own, and can then let you tune it for your liking! I've heard Z07 has less of a dynamic range than FE4 (or regular Z06), though, since regular MRC has to increase compression quite a bit to compensate for its ultra-soft springs (which is how it provides comfort at the street, and stiffness at the track using same springs). In a way, the ultimate tuned MRC would probably be FE4 or FE5 shocks with FE6 springs (and sways?).
Old 08-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
DSC Motorsports replaces the control module with their own, and can then let you tune it for your liking! I've heard Z07 has less of a dynamic range than FE4 (or regular Z06), though, since regular MRC has to increase compression quite a bit to compensate for its ultra-soft springs (which is how it provides comfort at the street, and stiffness at the track using same springs). In a way, the ultimate tuned MRC would probably be FE4 or FE5 shocks with FE6 springs (and sways?).
The main issue is the lack of experience or knowledge, that is shared with the public. I suppose you can take a top of the line coil over Dyno chart and try to match the curve at higher performance demand and leave the rest alone. I just wish there was more available. I've asked one of the top "engine" tuners, as well as one of the top suspension tuners and neither want anything to do with it.
I suppose if you have the facility to do a shock Dyno, you might be able to mess with it, at your own risk!!!

Last edited by Kamran; 08-21-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:39 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran
The main issue is the lack of experience or knowledge, that is shared with the public. I suppose you can take a top of the line coil over Dyno chart and try to match the curve at higher performance demand and leave the rest alone. I just wish there was more available. I've asked one of the top "engine" tuners, as well as one of the top suspension tuners and neither want anything to do with it.
I suppose if you have the facility to do a shock Dyno, you might be able to mess with it, at your own risk!!!
I have a feeling that you don't know what I am talking about. Please check this one out:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

You already get a highly tuned new map from DSC, and with the provided software, you can make slight changes in compression, dampening, braking, etc. to make it perfect for you/
Old 08-21-2016, 06:09 PM
torchredz51
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Guys,

My friend (in a Z51 without MRC) and me in a Z51 with MRC were at a track together, so we could experience both side by side.

I agree with everyone here. He loved the MRC because you can soften it up for the street and when you drive it every day you don't appreciate how much of a difference it is on each setting.

On the track, the MRC was much better able to handle subtle bumps on the track that would upset his car if he was driving it close to the limit, whereas I hardly noticed it.

So if you're going to stick with stock, MRC would be the way to go.

If you're going to mod, MRC isn't "harder" it would just be a waste of money. If you're going to go to coil-overs then you just wasted your money on the MRC.

Personally, I am glad that I got MRC because when I'm on the street I truly appreciate softening the suspension. My track's about an hour away, so I can put it in track and feel everything on the track, and on the long drive home put it in tour and relax.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

I just wanna know - are you all REALLY that sensitive to ride, that the difference in MSRC and a non-adjustable, is a big deal for you?

Because I've daily-driven older-generation Corvettes for 14 years. A 1993 auto Coupe; a 1999 FRC, and a 1998 MN6 Coupe (and my '98 is about to hit 240,000 miles); and I have never, ever felt "punished" by the ride, as some of you remark.

I'm about to turn 47, and have pretty bad arthritis in my left hip.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:05 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by X25

In short, if you'll drive your suspension bone-stock, MRC car would probably be better for you. If you, however, intend to improve the car's handling beyond what GM intended, it might be harder to do so with MRC.

I second X25's response. When I first started tracking my 2014 Z51 with MRC 2 years ago, it handled great with the stock tires. Then as I moved up to more advanced run groups and changed to R comps, I got very little benefit from the extra tire grip because my car under steered so badly. My times were actually better with the OEM tires.

I've since changed to the LG sways and gone to a more aggressive track alignment, which has helped a great deal, but I'm anxiously awaiting DSC to release their controller. I plan on trying the controller only first, but I suspect I'll need their shocks too.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:06 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

This is a classic "what woman is best for me?" question.

What is good for a street car is bad for a race car and vice-versa... there is no "good" middle ground.... shock tuning is one of the most difficult and expensive items when setting up a race car.

I have over 20 years of HPDE and racing experience, BTW.

If you want to just pull a car out of the wrapper and do some novice to advanced HPDE, a Z51 with MRC is an excellent choice. MRC adjusts to all the "transient" situations without a lot of expensive testing and adjusting.

If you want to spend $50K to build a dedicated track car that is completely useless on the street, keep reading here.
The following users liked this post:
markmott (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
I have a feeling that you don't know what I am talking about. Please check this one out:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

You already get a highly tuned new map from DSC, and with the provided software, you can make slight changes in compression, dampening, braking, etc. to make it perfect for you/
Yeah, I googled them first and a scan of the front page talking about Ford racing and nothing on the controller or C7, I stopped right there.

I Just read the entire thread. Very encouraging. I was thinking of tuning the OEM software (similar to obtaining engine tuning with a license, e.g. ECUTEK, etc). Controller seems to be user friendly enough you should almost be able to adjust it in the pit!

Best of all, it seems it should help reduce tire-wear, which after one season should basically pay for itself. Thanks for the link (not sure how I missed it!).

Not sure if my Google search resulted in the same DSC Motorsport or not. There were a bunch "Ford" related forum posts (which I didn't bother to read) saying don't deal with these guys?! I'm assuming it's a different DSC?

Last edited by Kamran; 08-21-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 With MRC & Without - for seasoned track veterans only please

Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Worthington
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
Just realized you're from Seattle; are you talking about RMP? I live in Redmond!

I've recently done my first track day at the Ridge with temps below 90, and the car felt great. I will be back this Friday, and try to fix a few mistakes I've been doing (which I realized from analyzing the video). You should definitely come along with us when you have time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j3TIfhp2I
I'm going on the 3rd, hurry up and book and we can go together / get footage of each other

Love The Ridge and my favorite group to go with is Turn 2.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm going on the 3rd, hurry up and book and we can go together / get footage of each other

Love The Ridge and my favorite group to go with is Turn 2.
PMed you. In short: Turn 2 is famous for packing 70+ cars over the weekends, and then send an email next day, saying how great it was : P

I need to think about it : )
Old 08-21-2016, 11:20 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
PMed you. In short: Turn 2 is famous for packing 70+ cars over the weekends, and then send an email next day, saying how great it was : P
This year T2's A group has been the least crowded of any other club. By the time the afternoons come around, there are less than a dozen on the track. Most last sessions I've been doing with them, there are less than half a dozen. A couple of months ago, drivers had gone home and I had the track pretty much to myself and a couple of others for a whole hour!

Group A speeds are very consistent so it's not like you are stuck in traffic. Passing is allowed anywhere, inside or outside. Drivers typically have the least attitudes of other clubs.

It got a little too crazy last year, when Tom ran a couple of days right before a race weekend. Bunch of out of state crazy racers who didn't think much of crashing got mixed in. Other than that, they have been pretty well behaved this year. I don't even think T2 has had more than 60 cars between all three run groups.

I'll be there on the 2nd, but unfortunately I'll have to run on my street tires, since I corded my f/r last time and it'll be my last Trackday this year with my current ride.

Last edited by Kamran; 08-21-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Z51 With MRC & Without - for seasoned track veterans only please