Sponsored by:

Florida Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:02 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Florida Insurance?

It's time for my annual insurance premiums went through the roof despite no tickets or accidents and the cars are a year older exercise. I got a quote from Geico that is 40% less than I am currently paying, which gives me hope. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:07 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

shop around....I/we shop every renewal period....we are with Travelers now....we were with Allstate..before that with Geico....just make sure they are quoting you for the same coverages and not giving you a $2000 deductible to give you a low rate. I carry low deductibles myself. Some disagree but the difference in the rates is insignificant and I refuse to shell out $1000 or more after paying my premium before they pay out. Also paying it all upfront will sometimes give you a discount of about 1 months premium. I also do not have rental coverage...we have 4 cars....why do I need rental?? No towing either, they usually only cover like 5 miles....you can do better on your own.

Last edited by pewter99; 08-26-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I had Southern Owners for a couple of years but now have the NCM insurance. Really way cheaper. Check it out.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=pewter99;1592928420]shop around....I/we shop every renewal period....we are with Travelers now....we were with Allstate..before that with Geico....just make sure they are quoting you for the same coverages and not giving you a $2000 deductible to give you a low rate. I carry low deductibles myself. Some disagree but the difference in the rates is insignificant and I refuse to shell out $1000 or more after paying my premium before they pay out. Also paying it all upfront will sometimes give you a discount of about 1 months premium. I also do not have rental coverage...we have 4 cars....why do I need rental?? No towing either, they usually only cover like 5 miles....you can do better on your own.[/Q

Yup. After being a loyal State Farm guy for over 40 years, I finally changed and now I do an annual insurance review (when I get the bill) and compare rates. Now getting ready to change again for a better rate. Brand loyalty gets you nowhere but higher premiums. BTW, I was amazed at how much all of my insurance bills dropped when I moved to TX after 45+ yrs in FL.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

I've been with the Lizard for 7 years. Just dropped them for Allstate and saved a little over $400 per year.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

I pay $600 for a 99 & 95 coupe through AARP. $500 deductible collision & $100/$300k compulsory. Even got towing. If you are near Punta Gorda contact me off line and I'll send you the agents contact info. Can't hurt to ask.

Gotta go shopping in FL. Ins companies love bending people over with grey hair.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:24 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

usaa for me, cost??? my wife pays all the bills.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:40 PM
sclaxton
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Switched to state farm from the lizard about 6 months ago. Price dropped about $100 ever 6 months, but State Farm had a better rating on the repair side of the issue. I would be willing to pay a little bit more to know that if I have to use it I don't have to fight with them on get thing things paid for. Switched because the lizard would not pay for several months on a smaller fender bender, which we were both with the Lizard.( in Florida)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:49 PM
TBRDS
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 76 Posts

I think I asked this once before in one of these many cost of insurance threads. Don't you guys in Florida own homes? Do you switch auto insurance every year but not your homeowners? Anyone with an umbrella policy? They usually want you to have all of your policies with their company to get one.

I tried to switch to USAA, got a great savings quote, but they won't insure my Florida house, in central Florida, not near the coast, even though they insure my next door neighbor. They stopped doing new Florida policies. They offered to refer me to some no-name insurer. So many insurance companies have stopped insuring homes in Florida, I'm a little nervous giving up my present policy homeowners policy, which isn't very expensive. It's my auto coverage that they get me on. In the old days, as your cars got older, the premiums when down. Not anymore, they go up each year. (I think they learned from the rip-off drug companies!) I really would appreciate some answers here. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:06 PM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TBRDS
I think I asked this once before in one of these many cost of insurance threads. Don't you guys in Florida own homes? Do you switch auto insurance every year but not your homeowners? Anyone with an umbrella policy? They usually want you to have all of your policies with their company to get one.

I tried to switch to USAA, got a great savings quote, but they won't insure my Florida house, in central Florida, not near the coast, even though they insure my next door neighbor. They stopped doing new Florida policies. They offered to refer me to some no-name insurer. So many insurance companies have stopped insuring homes in Florida, I'm a little nervous giving up my present policy homeowners policy, which isn't very expensive. It's my auto coverage that they get me on. In the old days, as your cars got older, the premiums when down. Not anymore, they go up each year. (I think they learned from the rip-off drug companies!) I really would appreciate some answers here. Thanks!
Answers are difficult to come by because it's difficult to know how insurance companies set their rates, although I suspect they have monkeys throw darts at a board. It is very expensive. We moved here from California two years ago and our auto and health insurance doubled in price. Our homeowner's policy is about the same cost, but the Florida house is only worth half what the California house was worth.

Florida does have terrible drivers, and it amazes me how many people run red lights, tailgate in the extreme, and simply drive off the road into a tree. Our freeway - I75 - is regularly closed to allow a Life Flight helicopter to land. I don't ever remember that happening in California, and California had far more cars and far worse roads.

So I guess I can understand why insurance rates are higher, but that doesn't explain the huge differences between companies. I have a 2009 BMW X5 and a 2015 C7, both driven under 5K a year, no accidents or tickets, and the quote from the current company is $2063. Geico quoted $1174. Go figure.

Get notified of new replies

To Florida Insurance?

Quick Reply: Florida Insurance?