Sponsored by:

500 mile Z51 oil change in AM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 500 mile Z51 oil change in AM!

Going to dealer in morning for 500 mile Z51 oil change! Any other secrets I should know??
Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Going to dealer in morning for 500 mile Z51 oil change! Any other secrets I should know??
Watch them like a hawk. Make sure they lift your car in the right spots.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

As for Mobil 1 (if it matters to you). If you don't they'll put in a bulk Dexos-approved synthetic, which is probably OK, but many of us would rather just stick with Mobil 1.

Also ask that they only put 9 quarts in and give you the 10th quart so you can adjust the level when you get home.

Dry sump cars have a very specific oil check process. Per the owner's manual, the oil needs to be hot, and the level needs to be checked between 5 and 10 minutes after engine shutdown. I've experimented with checking earlier and later than that time frame, and the level does indeed vary dramatically, as the oil from the dry sump tank is either very high early, or very low as it drains out of the dry sump tank.

Many of us like to keep the level at the middle hash mark, and if every drop of oil is drained, which isn't always the case, 10 quarts will put it at the top of the hash mark. Some have reported oil in the air intake when even slightly overfilled.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-07-2016 at 07:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JerryU (09-09-2016), Rwp315 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Watch them like a hawk. Make sure they lift your car in the right spots.
Have the service writer go with you to verify there was no damage to the rockers before the service. Then check while still at the dealers after the service.
I didn't do that, and discoverer a cracked rocker much later.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

I'm having to deal with a cracked rocker right now, courtesy of an oil change at the dealer.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
I'm having to deal with a cracked rocker right now, courtesy of an oil change at the dealer.
That is horrible as you can clearly see the jack pads you installed. I submit that the dealer you used did not have a Corvette tech.

Last edited by C7-Beast; 09-08-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
That is horrible as you can clearly see the jack pads you installed. I submit that the dealer you used did not have a Corvette tech.

Do we need to buy jack pads? Wouldn't the dealership already have this?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

This dealership apparently doesn't have jack pucks, they told me they use blocks of wood.
I discovered the damage while installing the pucks. I guess I should of gotten and installed them sooner.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:44 PM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

ask if they have a drive on lift or 4 arm lift; the drive on does no damage;and, make sure they drain 2 plugs on the oil pan; as others said, watch them like a hawk; and, I changed mine at 900 miles,so, a few extra will not blow the engine. LOL
Old 09-08-2016, 11:49 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Had the 600 mile service done in Norfolk where i bought it. Checked it 7 minutes after i got home and it was slightly below the top hash mark. Luckily, Rick Hendrick Chevrolet sells quite a few Corvettes and have the big Corvette guy in town in sales there. Hopefully they watch out and so far so good. Got my Ron Fellows coupon so hey now.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:50 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Are you telling me that dealerships don't put in jacking pucks for you when they change your oil NOR have proper equipment to lift a Corvette?

How is it fair that the responsibility falls on the consumer to buy their own jacking pucks? (I for one never would have known about this, had it not been for these Forums and I'm sure there are many who still do not know).

PS. If I have Z06 side skirts installed, how will they lift my car w/o jacking pucks? They cant just put it under the side skirts or it will damage them, no?

Last edited by Bui; 09-09-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,649 Likes on 6,648 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
As for Mobil 1 (if it matters to you). If you don't they'll put in a bulk Dexos-approved synthetic, which is probably OK, but many of us would rather just stick with Mobil 1.

Also ask that they only put 9 quarts in and give you the 10th quart so you can adjust the level when you get home.

Dry sump cars have a very specific oil check process. Per the owner's manual, the oil needs to be hot, and the level needs to be checked between 5 and 10 minutes after engine shutdown. I've experimented with checking earlier and later than that time frame, and the level does indeed vary dramatically, as the oil from the dry sump tank is either very high early, or very low as it drains out of the dry sump tank.

Many of us like to keep the level at the middle hash mark, and if every drop of oil is drained, which isn't always the case, 10 quarts will put it at the top of the hash mark. Some have reported oil in the air intake when even slightly overfilled.
100% with all your points.

Thought I would add a concern about NOT specifying Mobil 1 or at least a 100% synthetic oil by listing the number of GM dexos approved oil brands that was over 100. Funny my former link to the GM list, no longer works! Several tries in a few google searches using different key words did not come up with the current list! Did find an article that listed some 25 new names that also discussed some companies that are no longer paying GM their tribute! Some names are from oil companies or packagers I never heard of that a buddy calls "Oh So Peachy" brand reflecting who knows what your getting!

GM dexos can be an oil blend and NOT full synthetic. The dealer service manager can buy whatever dexos approved oil they can get the cheapest that comes in 55 gallon drums they pump from in their oil change bay. To use Mobil 1 they may have to buy more expensive quart containers (several forum pics show such containers.)

I've seen forum comments that they were told by the service manager, "We're required to fill it and can't leave it low;" "Yes we'll use Mobil 1," but then it's found that is not what it says on the receipt etc .

Therefore I think the suggestion of asking for a fill of 9 quarts and give me the 10th is a great one because it also gets past any BS!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-09-2016 at 07:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:18 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Hope you aren't taking it to the dealer that added oil to the coolant tank as per another thread here. Otherwise if you go to a Vette savvy dealer you should be fine.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:34 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Make sure they wipe the oil cap clean and don't spill any oil. A common issue for the first few hundred miles after a change is an oil smell in the cabin. This has been identified as oil residue on the oil cap. You may notice it but it will go away.... if you notice it, wipe the cap and filler neck clean...
Old 09-09-2016, 12:51 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
Originally Posted by L8ter
]
Originally Posted by Z06NJ
Do we need to buy jack pads? Wouldn't the dealership already have this?
I brought my September 2013 built C7 to have the differential level checked per GM, a few weeks after I got it home. The gal who scheduled service and was always very helpful with my C6 knew I was paranoid about how they lift the Vette! Told her as I always did, "Be sure they use the 4 jacking pucks I have on the passenger seat in a clear plastic bag"(so they can be seen! They have about 12 center post lifts.

She said, "Don't worry I will have the mechanic use our alignment rack (drive on ramps, they have one) since we just cracked a Vette rocker panel and I am having to deal with it!"

To the question about the dealer having jack pads-they may but mechanics are often in a hurry and on commission and may not want to go to the tool crib to get them out! They just move those large frame pads somewhere under the frame! Works for 99% of what they work on!

If you have side skirts consider that those fixed pads May Not be high enough to clear the side skirts. I purchased four 2 inch high pads for that reason! Need those for a tires shop etc. Mine cannot be left in. There are one from ReverseLogic, a forum vendor, that can be secured temporarily for a visit to the dealer/tire shop..

Last edited by JerryU; 09-09-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:33 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I don't know why they don't just use a rack or pit if its just an oil change. Its too much hassle to lift this low of a car.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:06 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
I don't know why they don't just use a rack or pit if its just an oil change. Its too much hassle to lift this low of a car.
I hear all these worries and horror stories about dealer service departments. I may be just lucky, but I really like my dealer. In their quick change area they have pits so the car is never lifted for an oil change anyway. Never have to ask for Mobile 1 - they just do it. They charge me about $75 which is pretty good considering the independent shop up the street I used to use for my C5 used to charge me that for Mobile 1 in the C5 even though it used less oil than my C7 Z51,

For anyone in Minnesota I highly recommend Ryan Chevrolet in Buffalo.

Get notified of new replies

To 500 mile Z51 oil change in AM!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by djnice
If you're referring to my post above, we can hit water digging pits! No basements here! Some do have them and have a pump to evaluate water!

This dealer, as do many, has center post lifts. If doing a brake job they need the car suspended from the frame or center body. Only ramp lift they have is used for front end alignment.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-09-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Just had my 500 mile oil change done 2 weeks ago.

I didn't think about the rockers!!!! Now i have to go check my car tomorrow!

Either way i made sure with the service writer that mobil 1 was going in, SHE said, yes she, said mobil 1 is automatic fill on corvettes.

The dealer has their own express lube station with 2 lifts, i assume for all the oil changes chevy provides with car purchases etc. Or maybe for tire rotations as well. My car was done in like 30 minutes. Lots of kids working at that dealer but the dealer had good reviews and was recommended by a few locals.

God now i won't be able to sleep tonight knowing if they did destroy my rockers lifting the car. ahhhhhhh

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 09-09-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:16 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Just had my 500 mile oil change done 2 weeks ago.

I didn't think about the rockers!!!! Now i have to go check my car tomorrow!

Either way i made sure with the service writer that mobil 1 was going in, SHE said, yes she, said mobil 1 is automatic fill on corvettes.

The dealer has their own express lube station with 2 lifts, i assume for all the oil changes chevy provides with car purchases etc. Or maybe for tire rotations as well. My car was done in like 30 minutes. Lots of kids working at that dealer but the dealer had good reviews and was recommended by a few locals.

God now i won't be able to sleep tonight knowing if they did destroy my rockers lifting the car. ahhhhhhh
Those are the correct words, "Mobil 1 is the automatic fill for all Corvettes." Some dealers won't acknowledge that is GM's recommendation and what they get reimbursed to use!

Note your post was made at 10.12 PM. A "TRUE" Vette enthusiast would get a flashlight and check now!

Since your waiting for daylight might as well also check the level! Take a drive to get the oil hot, then 5 minutes after you shut off the engine pull out the dip stick and check the level. Since your changing oil at 500 miles assume you have a Z51, GS or Z06. Be sure to check the level before 10 minutes since oil slowly drains back from the dry sump tank to the oil pan and you'll get a false low reading. It's all in the Owner's Manual, page 232 of the 2017 Owner's Manual (checked and it still says between 5 and 1o minutes!) I find with new clean oil I need to rotate the dip stick in the sun to clearly see the level. It's like reading a thermometer! Might have to check twice. You have ~5 minutes!

Note the Caution on page 233. I'll repeat a key point: "Oil levels above or below the acceptable operating range shown on the dipstick are harmful to the engine. If ... the engine has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area ... the engine could be damaged. You should drain out the excess oil or limit driving of the vehicle and seek a service professional to remove the excess amount of oil."

If in a hurry, some "mechanics helpers" who often operate the oil change bay may not take the time to warm up the oil, wait 5 minutes and check the level (as clearly defined as required in the Service Manual.) Reports of overfilling and oil dripping from the air cleaner have been reported. FWIW

Last edited by JerryU; 09-10-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 500 mile Z51 oil change in AM!