Sponsored by:

Finding a comfortable driving position

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Default Finding a comfortable driving position

I'm not a very big guy. 5 10" 200lbs. This is now my 3rd corvette and this is the first time I'm running into this problem. I did spend the last year in a Cts-v coupe which may have spoiled me a bit, however I don't recall a time where finding a comfortable seating position in my c5 or c6 was difficult. I feel like the seat doesn't recline enough. Any other c5-c6 owners who have traded up feel this way?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

My seat reclines a far back as I feel comfortable driving. I move the seat around quite often as I drive, never felt uncomfortable.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:40 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Have you attended the Spring Mountain course? If you think the seat needs to recline further and you're 5'10", you're not sitting in a very appropriate driving position.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:35 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Have you attended the Spring Mountain course? If you think the seat needs to recline further and you're 5'10", you're not sitting in a very appropriate driving position.
My vette is a daily driver. 5 years in a c5 and 7 in a c6 both used as daily drivers this was never an issue. I'm a veteran corvette owner. I'm not driving on a race track so an appropriate driving position isn't what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about a comfortable driving position. The two can be very conflicting. I have a feeling the past year in the cadillac may have just spoiled me a bit and getting used to a proper sports car again may just take a week or so. The cockpit of the c7 definitely feels smaller than either of my previous corvettes though. Might just not be as roomy as previous gens.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
My vette is a daily driver. 5 years in a c5 and 7 in a c6 both used as daily drivers this was never an issue. I'm a veteran corvette owner. I'm not driving on a race track so an appropriate driving position isn't what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about a comfortable driving position. The two can be very conflicting. I have a feeling the past year in the cadillac may have just spoiled me a bit and getting used to a proper sports car again may just take a week or so. The cockpit of the c7 definitely feels smaller than either of my previous corvettes though. Might just not be as roomy as previous gens.
Took a little while to find the best position compared to my C6 but love it now. I drive further back than ideal for racing but have the steering wheel low and forward. Have the seat rear lowered and the front up. That automatically inclines the seat back. Adjust the lumbar so it's firm but nor excessive. Hate cars with excess lumber, hurts my back. I am a little shorter than you.

In fact the wife has an X5 BMW SUV with the top of the line interior, front cushion adjustable bolster adjustment etc. We use it on all long trips. Took me a month to get a seat position and lumbar adjustment where it was "almost" as good as the Vette for me! Everyone's body is different.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-13-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm not a very big guy. 5 10" 200lbs. This is now my 3rd corvette and this is the first time I'm running into this problem. I did spend the last year in a Cts-v coupe which may have spoiled me a bit, however I don't recall a time where finding a comfortable seating position in my c5 or c6 was difficult. I feel like the seat doesn't recline enough. Any other c5-c6 owners who have traded up feel this way?
I agree it only reclines a little.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I love the seats @ 6'2" 180, but I'm more comfortable w/ seats that fit snugly. I really disliked the C6 seats, which offered zero support, but I also realize that's the type of seat many Corvette owners prefer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again . . . GM finally gives us a well-designed, high-quality interior that finally is competitive with other high-end sports cars, the automotive world heaps praise on how nice they finally are, but many of the Corvette faithful want their crappy seats back. What a shame . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Jmcdude (09-13-2016), Steve_R (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 03:32 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
I love the seats @ 6'2" 180, but I'm more comfortable w/ seats that fit snugly. I really disliked the C6 seats, which offered zero support, but I also realize that's the type of seat many Corvette owners prefer.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again . . . GM finally gives us a well-designed, high-quality interior that finally is competitive with other high-end sports cars, the automotive world heaps praise on how nice they finally are, but many of the Corvette faithful want their crappy seats back. What a shame . . .
Oh no don't get me wrong. I LOVE my seats and the new interior. It's one of the best features of the vehicle. If I could just recline another inch or two it would be ideal.

Last edited by brooklync5; 09-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I see and good to hear.

Personal preference is a funny thing. They actually recline much more than I find comfortable. I prefer a more upright seating position.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Have you tried this?

1. Slide the seat base forward.

2. Incline the seat back.

3. Put the seat base all the way down. Make sure the seat base back and front are all the way down; it will tilt up.

4. Put the seat base (entire seat) all the way back until it won't go any more.

5. Recline the seat back until it hits the "wall" panel behind it.

6. Get in.

7. Move seat base about 1" forward.

8. Recline seat back until it hits the rear wall again.
The following users liked this post:
brooklync5 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

6'3", 235lbs here and after trying several seating positions, I've settled on the two I use in driving. In order to tilt further back I have to move the bottom a little forward from its most rearward position and then it reclines to where I like it. To sit in a more upright position I bring the seat back back up and slide the bottom all the way back. These seats have plenty of positions....just experiment and you'll find what fits you best.

I will say that at first I was sure that there was less seating space but after seeing that the legroom, headroom, etc. were identical to that of the C6, it dawned on me that the dash is closer than in previous models, hence the feeling of it being smaller inside with less space for legs, arms, etc.

I'm very comfortable in my C7 but glad I'm not too much taller.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:27 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel like the seat doesn't recline enough. Any other c5-c6 owners who have traded up feel this way?
Yes, I feel the same way. My 2006 would recline to (what I felt was a comfortable position). My 2014 GS would not. It, like my C7 would not recline as far as I liked it, for a daily driver. So I'm with you one this.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

I have a 2016 1LT. Although the seats are a major improvement over the C5/6 seats, they have more bolstering. I always remove my wallet before driving long distances.

I find the car very comfortable for long-term driving (7+ hours at a shot), however, after about 1/2 hour, I will move the seat forward or back... change the backrest recline, move the the seat up or down, just to change the pressure points.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

It sounds like you will just have to get used to it. They either recline far enough for you or they don't. But I would just turn those seats every which way but loose until you find a position to live with. This won't help you telling you how much my wife and I love these standard seats, but she says they are the best we have ever had, and we have had some really nice cruisers.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
Have you tried this?

1. Slide the seat base forward.

2. Incline the seat back.

3. Put the seat base all the way down. Make sure the seat base back and front are all the way down; it will tilt up.

4. Put the seat base (entire seat) all the way back until it won't go any more.

5. Recline the seat back until it hits the "wall" panel behind it.

6. Get in.

7. Move seat base about 1" forward.

8. Recline seat back until it hits the rear wall again.
I'll give it a try
Old 09-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I'm 5'10", and the seat recline is just right in the all the back position. It is strange how what one prefers doesn't work for another. It did however take me a bit to find that just right position. Stay with it, you'll get there.

BTW, you're right. The seat doesn't recline very much.

Get notified of new replies

To Finding a comfortable driving position

Quick Reply: Finding a comfortable driving position