Sponsored by:

Is Cleartastic worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:14 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Is Cleartastic worth the price?

Thinking about ordering the Cleartastic pkg that protects behind the front and rear wheels. I have the GM mud flaps, but would like further protection against rock chips. Anyone have any experience with it good or bad? Is it close to invisible, or easy to see?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You already have protection there from the factory. I think the cleartastic covers more area though, but you'd have to pull the factory stuff off first. I've used Cleatastic products before and they work well. Like any film, if you cover those areas without tucking over an edge somewhere it'll be visible if you're really looking for it. Ymmv if that bothers you or not.
The following users liked this post:
Cleartastic (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:44 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

To be perfectly frank. No. Here is why. I have been examining C7 cars at cars and coffee and such. I look at the area that would be covered by this product.....In the are behind the rear wheels, and I see no blemishes in the area behind the front wheels. The only places I saw blemishes was the where the factory ones were installed. The blemishes were on the clear material and not down to the paint. Go figure. And this was a large sampling of C7 stingrays. NOT Z06 cars. I didn't look at them. Just my model. I installed those cleartastics a few thousand miles ago and took them off. They stayed on good though. And after a few more thousand miles without them I have no blemishes on the front or back sections they covered at one time.

Last edited by joemessman; 09-14-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

I've only had my C7 for a few days, but I am only seeing the factory plastic covering in front of the rear wheel. I don't see it behind the front wheels? Are you guys seeing it in the front and rear of the car from the factory? I literally had to get down on my hands and knees to even spot the clear material in front of the rear wheels. Does anyone know if the factory uses Cleartastic or some other brand?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have them and like the product.

I installed the ones behind the front wheels, the ones in front of the rear wheels that includes the bottom portion of the door and some of the rocker panel; the ones behind the rear wheels; and the mirrors.

As stated earlier, you do remove the factory piece in front of the rear wheels, which is considerably smaller than the Cleartastic piece that replaces it.
Cleartastic (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the ones behind the front and rear wheels.
On a white car they do look yellow.
I removed the rear ones.
leaving the front ones for now.

The factory covers the real problem area.
joemessman (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Cleartastic
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05, '15-'16-'17

Good to see we helped out some members

One kit that is growing in popularity is the kit 95-cp which replaces the factory film in front of the rear wheels. The reason is that our kit has more coverage. The factory film leaves a portion exposed and over time you will see a line running down your panel. Our kit goes edge to edge. So there is no exposed area plus no unsightly line. We also include a piece to take care of the bottom of the door which is vulnerable.

The pieces that go behind the front and rear wheels, we felt was necessary to create. We did see chips in these areas. It only takes just one chip to ruin a perfect day.
Now if you the GM guards for the rear then you should be ok.

I'm also designing a kit to protect above the rear fenders on the Stingray (similar to the Z06) "Now the Z06 has rear fenders that flare and are real vulnerable, why on a stingray? "
The reason, is because I'm seeing them on mine. On paper, there should really be no reason to protect this area. But I have 2 chips.

The Mirror kits 93-CP are pretty popular too.

All the kits a pre-cut and designed by us with you in mind. They are made so someone with no experience can easily apply them.
As far as being worth it....
I guess its up to you. Our film will protect whatever area its placed on. We feel a few dollars now could save you a lot more money & grief later.

Last edited by Cleartastic; 09-15-2016 at 02:43 PM.
mlinn1967 (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 05:49 PM
mlinn1967
Racer

I'm not sure I want to remove the factory film in front of the rear wheels...is there a way to just purchase the pieces that go behind the front wheel?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

because the factory piece is TOO SMALL..... the Cleartastic piece covers the area much better..... basically edge to edge. With that kit, you also get a piece to cover the lower few inches at the rear of the door too.

Last edited by Strake; 09-15-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Cleartastic
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05, '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mlinn1967
I'm not sure I want to remove the factory film in front of the rear wheels...is there a way to just purchase the pieces that go behind the front wheel?
Removing the factory film is easy. We provide simple instructions that come with the kit.

The front pieces are part of a kit (90-CP) which come with the rear pieces.

Originally Posted by Strake
because the factory piece is TOO SMALL..... the Cleartastic piece covers the area much better..... basically edge to edge. With that kit, you also get a piece to cover the lower few inches at the rear of the door too.
What Strake said
Not to mention the factory film seems to turn yellow pretty quick too

Ed

Last edited by Cleartastic; 09-16-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:30 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Cleartastic makes a quality product and any additional protection in those vulnerable areas is worth the money.
Cleartastic (09-19-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Is Cleartastic worth the price?

Quick Reply: Is Cleartastic worth the price?