Lifetime Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Lifetime Oil Changes

This is one of the paperwork items I got when I bought my 2014 Corvette..

I waited until my 2yr / 24k mile warranty expired to use this. When I presented it to the service department, at a dealer (not the selling dealer), they had no idea of it. Come to find out neither does GM / Chevrolet, who I have texted and talked to numerous times. All they tell me is that it is a selling dealership 'document' and only good there! When I asked them where does it say that on this 'document', they answer " well that's the intent." and that there is nothing GM / Chevrolet can do...
Anyone have a same / similar problem ?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, that is a dealer sales gimmick, and several dealers of various makes advertise "free lifetime oil changes" in the Washington, DC metro area. It has nothing to do w/ GM corporate, and it is only good at the selling dealer for the original owner.

It's important to always remember that dealer's are independent businesses, and they sell all kinds of add-ons.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (09-23-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 04:36 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I've never heard of lifetime oil changes on a Corvette. The fact that it has an inventory number on it indicates it is from a dealer and not GM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you don't mind using that dealer for the oil changes, you're all set. Otherwise, the cost of the changes will be on you after the free ones that came with the car.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that is a dealer sales gimmick, and several dealers of various makes advertise "free lifetime oil changes" in the Washington, DC metro area. It has nothing to do w/ GM corporate, and it is only good at the selling dealer for the original owner.

It's important to always remember that dealer's are independent businesses, and they sell all kinds of add-ons.
same crap like that from one of of chev dealers here also. LIFE TIME OIL CHG.

Last edited by robert miller; 09-22-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm guessing the dealer will try to upcharge if you want Mobil 1.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I once bought a Toyota from a dealer that came with lifetime oil changes and tires! Only caveat was that dealer was 5 hours drive one way from me.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:54 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cam30era
I've never heard of lifetime oil changes on a Corvette. The fact that it has an inventory number on it indicates it is from a dealer and not GM.
This is a car I ordered and had built for me including putting a deposit on it. This was not an in-stock (at the dealer) car. So there should not have been an "inventory number" on it.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:57 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If you don't mind using that dealer for the oil changes, you're all set. Otherwise, the cost of the changes will be on you after the free ones that came with the car.
The selling dealer "misled" me on initially saying that they would give me the Military / Veterans Discount and when the car was delivered and I went to finalize the transaction, they told me that it would not be applied!
This is why I refuse to return there for any service.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:15 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by 67pete
This is a car I ordered and had built for me including putting a deposit on it. This was not an in-stock (at the dealer) car. So there should not have been an "inventory number" on it.
I suspect the dealer gives all cars inventory numbers no matter if it is a sold order.

You paid the dealer $1,477 for a dealer add-on. Since it is called Appearance Package, I'm guessing you got something else to go with the oil changes (maybe real stuff like mud guards, or less lasting stuff like coatings and junk).

As noted, almost all dealers in my area try to add on stuff (just bought a European car that tried to sneak Lojack in on me after we already agreed to the deal).

Get your oil changed at the selling dealer, or consider it a sunk cost and enjoy your ride....
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I suspect the dealer gives all cars inventory numbers no matter if it is a sold order.

You paid the dealer $1,477 for a dealer add-on. Since it is called Appearance Package, I'm guessing you got something else to go with the oil changes (maybe real stuff like mud guards, or less lasting stuff like coatings and junk).

As noted, almost all dealers in my area try to add on stuff (just bought a European car that tried to sneak Lojack in on me after we already agreed to the deal).

Get your oil changed at the selling dealer, or consider it a sunk cost and enjoy your ride....
I fail to find this a legal 'document' for dealer only as there is no mention anywhere on it where it is valid. Since it has only Chevrolet on it, it should be valid at any Chevrolet dealer. and as stated previously I am not going back there!

Last edited by 67pete; 09-22-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I fail to find this a legal 'document' for dealer only as there is no mention anywhere on it where it is valid. Since it has only Chevrolet on it, it should be valid at any Chevrolet dealer. and as stated previously I am not going back there!
Good luck with that argument and getting another dealer to do it for free. You paid the selling dealer for it, not GM, which is why it's only good there. Any other dealer won't get reimbursed for a "free" oil change.

Have you looked at the actual sales paperwork for your car, or just this one piece of paper? I'm guessing it's mentioned somewhere else in more detail since what you posted appears to be an advertising sticker that would get stuck to the inside of a window.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:56 PM
springer-
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Your argument may be valid in a court however the way you test it may matter. You could talk to a lawyer. Or I might try bringing it to another dealer and paying for the oil change then sending the bill to the selling dealer for reimbursement. When that say no, test the document in court... Small claims court.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:56 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Things from GM will be either 1) on the Monroney sticker, or in the GM supplied documentation (which is generally the owner's manual, and supplements such as warranty and service manual. One of my cars had a separate document talking about the free 2-year oil changes, but I believe that is both on the sticker and in the book now).

Anything else you have is with your dealer, and your dealer which has a license to use the Chevrolet trademarks on some documents, but not to commit GM to things. That dealer may sell things like maintenance or extended warranties that are good at other places, but you would receive the documentation from those plans from your dealer, and it isn't part of what comes with the vehicle.

Last edited by z28lt1; 09-22-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:00 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Free lifetime of worrying every time you take your car in to get your free oil change. Are they going to bust up the bottom of my car? Are they going to put in the right amount of oil? Learn how to change oil yourself and your worries are over.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-23-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:05 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

It is what it is and since you have no intention of going back to that dealer case closed.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:58 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

The dealer that printed that and stuck it onto your windshield has no authority to make promises on behalf of GM, the dealer only has authority to make promises on behalf of itself. Either get the free oil changes at that dealer (and hope they use Mobil1), or just forget about it!

Get notified of new replies

To Lifetime Oil Changes

Old 09-22-2016, 09:37 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Good luck with that argument and getting another dealer to do it for free. You paid the selling dealer for it, not GM, which is why it's only good there. Any other dealer won't get reimbursed for a "free" oil change.

Have you looked at the actual sales paperwork for your car, or just this one piece of paper? I'm guessing it's mentioned somewhere else in more detail since what you posted appears to be an advertising sticker that would get stuck to the inside of a window.
or you could get something like this afterward:

PRE-PAID MAINTENANCE
You want to find new roads with confidence and that means keeping your Chevrolet running at its best. With Chevrolet Pre-Paid Maintenance plans, we take the guesswork out of having your vehicle serviced with recommended service schedules. We also cover the costs associated with the recommended maintenance so you can help keep your Chevy running strong.
Two Plans to Choose From
When you purchase Chevrolet Pre-Paid Maintenance, the oil changes, tire rotations, and fluid top-offs listed on your Agreement Registration Page are covered.
With the optional Chevrolet Pre-Paid Maintenance Plus, the transmission fluid changes, transfer case fluid changes, and spark plugs listed on your Agreement Registration Page are also covered in addition to the maintenance covered in the basic Chevrolet Pre-Paid Maintenance plan, while air filters and fuel filters are covered exclusively on GM vehicles.
Customizable
We offer Pre-Paid Maintenance in conjunction with your vehicle’s Oil Life Monitoring System. We realize different driving styles may require more frequent maintenance. Therefore, various terms and mileage options are available.
No Deductible
If you purchase a Pre-Paid Maintenance plan, maintenance performed that is part of your Pre-Paid Maintenance will be completed at no cost to you. This includes Genuine GM Parts and labor associated with any maintenance covered under your selected plan.
Flexible
Chevrolet Pre-Paid Maintenance and Chevrolet Pre-Paid Maintenance Plus are available for your new, used, or leased Chevy vehicle.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R

No mention anywhere as to "Appearance" package anywhere in the paperwork I have. Also, this 'document' was slipped into all of the paperwork I got with the car. Don't remember signing up for this.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:45 PM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robertbruce
[QUOTE "free lifetime oil changes"

Free lifetime of worrying every time you take your car in to get your free oil change. Are they going to bust up the bottom of my car? Are they going to put in the right amount of oil? Learn how to change oil yourself and your worries are over.
Actually not free since it seems I paid $ for it....

Quick Reply: Lifetime Oil Changes