C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingray vs Grand Sport vs Z51. Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dead of night
Would the base Stingray with the narrower tires be better in cold weather and rain than the GS tires would be?

This is a question for those who will own the car without a garage.
Suggestion: read the threads on getting Michelin AS tires and mounting them for cooler/colder weather. "Foosh" comments on one thread and his today post says he intends to use the car w. AS tires all winter except in snow. In that regard, "search" is your friend to find threads that talk about such things as cold weather, tires for climate, etc.

Otherwise, yes, skinnier tires tend to give a bit more traction. But it still may not be a piece of cake to drive on a regular basis throughout all forms of cold weather (rain should be fine tho).

Edit: such as: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-seasons.html

and: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...run-flats.html

Last edited by AORoads; 11-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dead of night (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

My choice would be the 1LT Grand Sport Coupe at $66,445. In comparison, the Z51 Stingray Coupe with MSRC is $63,240. For only $3205 you get the Z06 wide body, Z06 brakes, wider wheels and Z06 tires.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 PM
robertnordlie
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love my Z51

The Z51 performance will be about identical to the Grand Sport, if you order Magnetic Ride Control. Like the GS, the Z51 package includes the performance exhaust which adds 5 hp. If you like the wider tail end of the ZO6 you should go for the Grand Sport, but to me it seems like a lot of money for a few badges and a slightly wider rear quarter panel. The tires and brakes are the same on the Z51 as the GS unless you order the Grand Sport with the Z07 performance package. I got Z51 center caps for my wheels to distinguish my car from the base Stingray (which the spoiler will also do for anyone who is knowledgeable) for only $250. I LOVE my Z51, but if they offered the Grand Sport in 2016 I probably would have gone for it (with the stripe delete on the front fender, since I hate those racing hash mark stripes). You can't go wrong either way, but I would not go Z06. Even the professionals say it's too much power to control on the track, and who in the world can use 650 hp on the street? I can't even use all of the 460 I've got on the street legally. I can never go to the redline when shifting through the gears, because I'd be WAY over the speed limit.

Last edited by robertnordlie; 04-19-2018 at 06:26 PM.
911Hunter (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:14 PM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

I love the GS, great value. But I'd suggest you try drive one on the streets and do real world things like park it. The C7 is already a pretty wide car. Through on the GS body and it becomes a little tight navigating through small streets, spaces, and other everyday things. On a track or for a garage queen, this isn't as much an issue. It's not what I would consider a problem, but definitely a consideration.
911Hunter (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by robertnordlie
The Z51 performance will be about identical to the Grand Sport, if you order Magnetic Ride Control. Like the GS, the Z51 package includes the performance exhaust which adds 5 hp. If you like the wider tail end of the ZO6 you should go for the Grand Sport, but to me it seems like a lot of money for a few badges and a slightly wider rear quarter panel. The tires and brakes are the same on the Z51 as the GS unless you order the Grand Sport with the Z07 performance package. I got Z51 center caps for my wheels to distinguish my car from the base Stingray (which the spoiler will also do for anyone who is knowledgeable) for only $250. I LOVE my Z51, but if they offered the Grand Sport in 2016 I probably would have gone for it (with the stripe delete on the front fender, since I hate those racing hash mark stripes). You can't go wrong either way, but I would not go Z06. Even the professionals say it's too much power to control on the track, and who in the world can use 650 hp on the street? I can't even use all of the 460 I've got on the street legally. I can never go to the redline when shifting through the gears, because I'd be WAY over the speed limit.
The GS package is only $3200 more than the Z51 package w/mag ride. If you compare the list of Z51 features with that of the Z16 GS package you will find there's quite a bit more features for the additional $3200 difference than just badges. Both fine sportscars, however quite different in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:25 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

I went with a Z51, 2LT. I wasn't necessarily looking for a Z51, blue and 2LT where the main things I was looking for but it was when the deals where to good to pass up late last year so I pulled the trigger on the Z51 in the color/options I wanted. I probably will take it to a couple track days this year though. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, I do think the wider body looks better but hate the rear spoiler/wing in the GS/Z06. Love the Z51 rear spoiler, that is something I was going to have put on even if I didn't get the Z51 package.
911Hunter (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I'd go GS and used the money I saved by not buying a zo6 and add 100 hp.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:17 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Danattherock
Searching for a Corvette, but confused a bit. Wondering what the primary differences are between these models with regards to performance and aesthetics. I'm heading to a larger volume dealer soon to see various models, but my local dealer only has one vette, a used Z06.

Dan
Dan, you have opened a can of worms as everyone here has their own preference.

Figure out how you're going to use the car and then decide. Stingray is best as a street car. Z51 Stingray is a track car, but Grand Sport is even a better track car with its wider tires. Z06 is even more powerful than Stingray or Grand Sport. (Essentially, Grand Sport is Z06 body and tires with the Stingray engine.) Z06 is for the person who wants high power bragging rights and ultimate street performance. (There apparently have been issues with the supercharged engine on the track.)

The 1LT, 2LT, 3LT variations of the above add successively more features and bling but don't affect performance.

That's probably all you really need to know except about Forum Dealers. These are dealers that sell high volumes of Corvettes and often offer better deals than local dealers who don't stock lots of Corvettes.

Oh, and finally, spend some time on this site and you'll get a more nuanced sense of all the above.

911Hunter (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

It depends on which one you want. You're going to have to spend the time and effort to learn by reading up about each one. That's all on you.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:10 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Base Corvette=for touring, no track time. The looks.
Z51=More spirited driving and ocassional track times.
Grand Sport=Better Corvette, highly praised by reviewers, dependable N.A. engine, better looks from behind because of wider rear track like Z06. Excellent track machine, great handling specially with Z07 optional package.
Z06=Too much power for the streets, hard to put all its power to the ground, white knuckles driving and engine overheating at the track as expressed by auto magazine reviewers.

GS
Old 04-20-2018, 06:54 AM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

For anyone that knows what benefits are realized by adding Z51 package, I would appreciate hearing from you. Read what I can on Chevy site, and elsewhere. Sounds like the Gulf Sport is a Z06 clone of sorts, with standard motor of a C7. Yet prices are similar to base Z06 models which is confusing. They have nearly 200 HP less, yet costs is similar. Perhaps I'm missing something. I need to make a trip out of state to a large volume dealer, NJ and Maryland perhaps, so I can see these various models in person. Thanks for any additional insights.

Dan
The availability of MSRC before 2017 (which gives you PTM) upgraded to an e-diff, shorter gear ratios, Dry sump oil pan And most importantly, the oil and trans cooler that reside in the vents behind the door. Necessary if you track frequently, like I do. 30+ track days last year and it has held up well.

If the g.s. had been available when I got mine, I would have gone that way. Keep in mind most of the difference between z51 and g.s. in magazines are mostly the sport cup2 tires. And a little more brake surface. Cup2's and brake pads and a z51 isn't far behind.

Last edited by theplatinumog; 04-20-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

The Gulf Sport is my favorite.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:07 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

The Grand Sport was a bit over the top for me, the Stingray needs the Z-51 gear to corner better. Very happy with my car.

Come to think of it, my own car is a bit over the top.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Another resurrected thread...
Old 04-20-2018, 07:57 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
The Grand Sport was a bit over the top for me, the Stingray needs the Z-51 gear to corner better. Very happy with my car.

Come to think of it, my own car is a bit over the top.

Love the look of your car. The cleaner lines of the Stingray just look slightly better to me for whatever reason, and I do like the widebody.
patentcad (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

I had the same decision as those are the three options I was considering- Base Stingray, Z-51 and GS.

Decided against Z-51- because the Z-51 wheel package that had been an option on the Stingray base was now standard. The car was also optimized for the track and my reality was that almost all my driving these days would be on the street. Couldn't see the point of putting up with the stiff ride and the excessive brake dust while paying an extra $3K to get it.

Decided against GS- I have a 3 car garage but the car must go in the third bay which has a narrow single door. It is somewhat stressful getting the narrow body base out of the garage as there is only a few inches clearance with the metal garage door tracks. The Base fenders, especially the front fenders appear to be very close. I thought the wider GS fenders would have very little clearance requiring a very cautious slow approach. I also could not justify the extra $8K over the base for the GS. I do think it looks more aggressive, but not $8K better.

Last edited by Frosty; 04-20-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:19 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Searching for a Corvette, but confused a bit. Wondering what the primary differences are between these models with regards to performance and aesthetics. I'm heading to a larger volume dealer soon to see various models, but my local dealer only has one vette, a used Z06.

Dan
I drive both a stingray and zo6. The stingray always amazes me how much better it rides and handles. It has 33k on it now but feels like it is in limp mode compared to the Z06. The tire size and the suspension on the base stingray delivers the best experience on these real world every day streets with ruts, Pot holes, patches, construction areas. It goes where I point it better than those track models we all think we have to have. The Mag ride is very little help! If all roads were perfect it would be a different story!
The following 4 users liked this post by Jim Barker:
Foosh (04-20-2018), KNEVER (08-03-2023), LIStingray (04-21-2018), ViperFan1 (10-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray vs Grand Sport vs Z51. Which would you choose?

Old 04-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I think it depends on what you want, and what matters to you.

I had a 14 Stingray, 3LT, Z51 with 7 speed and mag ride. Loved the car. Very fun to drive, touring mode was nice for road trips.

I now have a 18 Grand Sport, 3LT 7 speed. Car is awesome, just the front spoiler can be a pain as I have to watch parking lots or drives I go in and out of. I really like the look of the wide body. Same power, but the tires are a bit wider.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:55 AM
bluegoatee05
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

This is my current dilemma as well, but down to either a base model or Z51. I'm trying to decide for the same amount of money, around 40k, do I go with a '14 or '15 Z51 or '15 or '16 base model. There seems to be an abundance of choices out there for about the same cost. I seem to be wanting a little more spirited driving and like the bigger rotors and rims on the Z51's...but having one that is a couple model years newer is also a nice thing to have. Oh, these first world problems
Old 04-20-2018, 09:43 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I'm trying to decide for the same amount of money,
an old thread but a daily dilemma. I love good deals, l live for good deals. but I will throw one more variable into the decision mix. Color.

3 of the last 5 vettes I bought were great deals. Except for the color. not dissing any color choice available here. But as great as the money savings were on the 3, the colors were Meh to me, i liked the deal more than the car color. Great cars one and all, but when I drove around, i'd see another one in the color I really wanted, and then I'd like the one I was driving a little less. I found excuses to trade them way sooner than I should have.

For sure getting the options and body style are important to you now; but if there is a color you really like, wait for the confluence of the cosmos to bring the one you like in the color you like to you. It may take some time. I only wanted new, I still wanted fantastic deal, and I started shopping in June, 2016. I didn't find the one I really wanted in my perfect color at a great deal price (22% off window sticker) until March 2018. It wasn't the best deal I found, but it was the color I wanted. There IS a difference in you inner peace when you buy exactly what you want.

Good Hunting!

Last edited by SilverGhost; 04-20-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Stingray vs Grand Sport vs Z51. Which would you choose?