C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should the C8 Corvette Come With a Manual Transmission as an Option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, they should keep it, and it should be the no-cost option --- if it has to become an option. Put it this way: Porsche has its "shape" for, and from the "911" of the mid-1960s. Let the manual trans be the signature of Corvette. That way, maybe they'll get even more "crossover" buyers. JMO.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Keep the manual please however there needs to be a major change. Why on earth does GM continue to make a clutch design that allows the clutch dust to enter into the fluid? It turns the fluid coal black in a short time and if you don't flush it out at least every couple of years the slave cylinder will be damaged. Cant they make something with a better design?

With that said, I prefer the manual trans. My current C7 and only auto trans corvette is not as fun as the manual in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:01 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have always been an Automatic person. But I also believe that GM needs to give the people what they want, not, what GM wants them to have.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:10 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Keep the manual as an option.

As another forum member said: "You go for a drive with a manual. You go for a ride with an automatic!"

Ron

Last edited by RonC7; 10-14-2016 at 09:10 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

The c7 will be my last corvette if future generations are not available with a manual trans
The following users liked this post:
Landru (10-20-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
"You go for a drive with a manual. You go for a ride with an automatic!
Ron

You drive your manual car and you ride in an automatic.

There is nothing wrong with going for a nice ride, it is just not the same thing as actually driving a high performance car.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:07 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
If not, they will lose 27% of their customers.
Doubt they would lose 27% of their customers some would still want a Corvette, but with that said if the future Vettes came with only a auto their should be a cost option for a manual.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:11 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The funny thing is the perception that somehow Dual Clutch AUTOMATICS are actually manuals....THEY'RE NOT. If a transmission will shift itself, it's an AUTOMATIC. I don't care if it's dual clutch or torque converter. Does it have 3 pedals? No? Then it's an automatic. The Ferrari guys convinced themselves YEARS AGO that they were still driving manual transmission cars because they had paddles like Michael S. And they were WRONG. I get that modern autos are superior to 3 pedal in literally every performance field. But don't lecture me about a DCT verses a TC auto because in the end, BOTH are AUTOMATICS, and BOTH require LESS skill to go fast.

Argue all you want...facts are facts. No doubt a good auto is better/faster than a human with a 3 pedal car. And I don't give a continental damn
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
CandyRed77 (10-20-2016), Landru (10-20-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 01:06 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I agree, Jimmy. The manual trans is likely on borrowed time in the Corvette. Probably a when rather than an if.

I doubt it would be that much.
Where would they go anyway?
When the time comes, what Sportscar will have a clutch pedal?

And another thing...has Porsche lost customers because of the PDK?

Originally Posted by AORoads
Let the manual trans be the signature of Corvette. That way, maybe they'll get even more "crossover" buyers. JMO.
I'm not feeling that one at all.

Originally Posted by BRCC
Doubt they would lose 27% of their customers some would still want a Corvette, but with that said if the future Vettes came with only a auto their should be a cost option for a manual.
I can get onboard with that.

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The Ferrari guys convinced themselves YEARS AGO that they were still driving manual transmission cars because they had paddles like Michael S. And they were WRONG.
Ferrari stopped making manuals because buyers didn't want them...same thing has happened with Lambos and others.

I get that modern autos are superior to 3 pedal in literally every performance field. But don't lecture me about a DCT verses a TC auto because in the end, BOTH are AUTOMATICS, and BOTH require LESS skill to go fast.
The only real difference is the CLUTCH ---- one is operated with the left foot and one is automatic.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I hope they will continue with the manual, but frankly, I have my doubts. With 77% of C7's being automatic, there will come a point where engineering a manual doesn't make financial sense (see Ferrari).
Further, if the C8 offers a dual clutch automatic (rather than a TC auto), I think that will end the manual. Paddles are paddles but dual clutch autos seem to get a hall pass verses paddle equipped TC autos. Both autos have their plusses and minuses....If the dual clutch comes to pass in the C8, it will be fun to hear the screams when folks get the maintenance bill (just ask GT-R owners). It will make the hand wringing over mag ride shock cost look like child's play.
I too think the days of the manual tranny are numbered, but hope it doesn't come about for a while.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:18 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Manual Trans

[QUOTE=MacMulkin;1593255993]What do you think? Kill the manual or keep it?

I could care less that an auto trans is faster than a manual by a half second. It is just not near as much fun. Not even close for me. Though clearly I am in the minority.
I take pride in my ability to row back and forth through the gears with precision and ability.
My Suburu has an automatic. So does my Jeep Wrangler.
I have owned four Vettes, two Miatas and one Porsche, all with M drives.
It will be very disappointing if GM deep sixes a manual trans Corvette.
I hope dealerships like MacMulkin (I purchased my 427 there) as well as others (Corvette Forum perhaps) can influence GM to retain the manual.
However it is interesting that while providing my feedback to this question, it was running a 50 plus percent vote to retain, but in fact only 20 percent of Vettes are sold with manuals.
I would think that if GM thought they could make money with both trans offered, it would be done.
Apparently they must not think so.
Nor does Ferrari or Lamborghini. Few Porsches as well.
Good luck and I appreciate you doing this.
CandyRed77 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 06:21 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Last Vette

Originally Posted by brooklync5
The c7 will be my last corvette if future generations are not available with a manual trans
Mine too.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:28 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

so will a manual be offered in a Camaro, is so what's the difference assuming the C8 will not be a mid engine?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:27 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

The manual transmission is going away just like the 'buggy whip' and my grandmother's buckskin bra.

Get over it and move forward...... (go out and drive an Aston Martin, Porsche or some of the other dual clutch automatics).
Old 10-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvilin
Depends on what kind of auto they will have for the C8. If it is a first class quality duel clutch auto like on the Ferrari than I could see doing away with the manual M7. If it is a pretend paddle shifter than a M7 should be an option.
I agree, though I prefer a manual.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:39 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I don't think so. If the C7 did not have a manual, I would have purchased an automatic. In fact, I was intent on buying an auto tranny Vette when a salesman convinced me to demo a M7. The rev matching did it and I was won over, but it was close. I believe I'm not alone. Many of the buyers I've talked with would have purchased a C7 even if it didn't have a manual. As older buyers age out, the manual will be less in demand. At some point it will cost GM more to maintain the manual than it's worth and that will be the end of it.
sunsalem (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM
VooDooRob
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Not that much will drop off, definitely some but the entire percentage will not. What other cars are there in the same price and performance point that offer a manual?

Get notified of new replies

To Should the C8 Corvette Come With a Manual Transmission as an Option?

Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by MacMulkin
What do you think? Kill the manual or keep it?
Voted to keep manual, even if only offered as an option.
The Corvette driving experience is not based solely on how fast it does or doesn't shift.

And if Ferrari wants to do away w/ manual, fine.
But, I'd bet Ferrari might just see the error of their ways in sales and offer manual in the not too distant future, too. Sales dictate design, as always. Not, the other way around.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by VooDooRob
Not that much will drop off, definitely some but the entire percentage will not. What other cars are there in the same price and performance point that offer a manual?
My guess is many of the Manual Guys will buy the Auto anyway.
If a manual is the sole reason for buying a Corvette, perhaps it would be better to stick with a previous gen or get a new Miata.

Originally Posted by Landru
The Corvette driving experience is not based solely on how fast it does or doesn't shift.

And if Ferrari wants to do away w/ manual, fine.
They did years ago.

But, I'd bet Ferrari might just see the error of their ways in sales and offer manual in the not too distant future, too.
They stopped making the manual because their customers wouldn't buy them.

Sales dictate design, as always. Not, the other way around.
True.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:00 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Keep the manual available!

Even if this means it needs to be an option that we need to pay for to offset the engineering cost and return on investment because of the lower volume.

All 3 of my Vettes are manauls, and I highly doubt I would ever buy an automatic, DCT or anything else that doesn't have 3 pedals. I just enjoy rowing the gears too much!

Quick Reply: Should the C8 Corvette Come With a Manual Transmission as an Option?