Sponsored by:

Looking for another inch of headroom in C7

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Kaged
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looking for another inch of headroom in C7

Just picked up a slightly used 2016 Z06 in Houston and drove it 1700 miles to home. Exceptionally comfortable ride home, even with the competition seats. Will be using the car in town and on the track/autocross.

I knew my headroom in this car would be tight with a helmet, and after a quick test this weekend - it is! After playing around with all of the seat adjustments for the better part of an hour, the best I can get is my helmet just brushing the headliner. All other options have the top compressing my neck or hitting the targa bar. Can just imagine what will happen when I hit one of the curbs at Willow Springs.

I am 6"3" but evidently more torso than legs.

Has anyone found a way to drop the seat another inch on it's support structure to the frame? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure what roof do you currently have on the car right now, but the transparent roof will give you an extra inch.
The following users liked this post:
Kaged (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:10 PM
Maslo
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can lean the seat back a bit more if comfortable. The angle will buy you some height.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Maslo
You can lean the seat back a bit more if comfortable. The angle will buy you some height.
This. In my limited track experience so far, I prefer the seat farther forward than I do in normal driving anyway, then as upright as possible. I assume you can get more angle if you move the seat forward a little. It's probably still gonna be tight for the OP. It's a tight fit for me with a helmet and I'm 6'2".

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 10-24-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm 6'4" and it's tight without a helmet. I can't imagine how you track ****** get by, but I do see guys racing without the tops on.

I have noticed that I do sit higher in the C7Z than I did in my C6GS.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
Not sure what roof do you currently have on the car right now, but the transparent roof will give you an extra inch.
This.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:16 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Disconnect the sensors behind the carpet behind the seats and gain that inch. This won't drop the seat but will allow you to gain another inch of leg room. Possibly recline a bit more also.

Last edited by AmmoVet; 10-24-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

I am 69 year young and use to be 5'11", don't worry you will get that inch in the future.
BRussell (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 PM
RipcordZ51
Pro

Received 160 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by alamo1974
I am 69 year young and use to be 5'11", don't worry you will get that inch in the future.
Just said to my wife this evening that when we met I was 6'1" and now I'm 5'10". If you lower the car on the bolts will you gain more head room?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I am 6'1" but have short legs and a long torso. When I did Spring Mountain, I had them change the standard roof for a transparent roof. My head still brushed the roof but at least I didn't have to **** my head over. The targa bar still interfered a bit. I did move the seat just a bit more forward and that solved most of that issue. When I got home, I bought a transparent top for tracking the car.

Originally Posted by Kaged
Just picked up a slightly used 2016 Z06 in Houston and drove it 1700 miles to home. Exceptionally comfortable ride home, even with the competition seats. Will be using the car in town and on the track/autocross.

I knew my headroom in this car would be tight with a helmet, and after a quick test this weekend - it is! After playing around with all of the seat adjustments for the better part of an hour, the best I can get is my helmet just brushing the headliner. All other options have the top compressing my neck or hitting the targa bar. Can just imagine what will happen when I hit one of the curbs at Willow Springs.

Has anyone found a way to drop the seat another inch on it's support structure to the frame? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
Kaged (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 AM
Kaged
Instructor

Default Looks like I am in the market for a transparent top :-)

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I am 6'1" but have short legs and a long torso. When I did Spring Mountain, I had them change the standard roof for a transparent roof. My head still brushed the roof but at least I didn't have to **** my head over. The targa bar still interfered a bit. I did move the seat just a bit more forward and that solved most of that issue. When I got home, I bought a transparent top for tracking the car.
Thank to everyone for their input. I had already played with seat rake, etc and found one position that worked - almost. My helmet is just brushing the headliner on my current top (carbon).
Will see if I can find anyone local with a transparent top and try it out. If not, I will find one somewhere!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I saw this thread posted by forum vendor subchev but have no idea if this is something available on an ongoing basis or just a one-off. Might be worth it to ask, though.

Track day Seat: $1,500. Custom-fitted Recaro racing seat and mounting bracket made by 425 Motorsports in Seattle for drivers too tall to fit in a C7 Z06 with a helmet on. Uses factory seat mounting bolts. 20 minutes is all it takes to remove factory seat and install track seat using the factory bolts. Adds 2.75" of headroom for the driver (enough for me, a 6'6" driver to wear a DOT approved helmet) and racing seat performance. Includes factory female seatbelt harness. Works with factory seatbelt or aftermarket harness systems.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ime-offer.html
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaged

Thanks,
Bill
Bill,

How do you like the Comp Seats? Looking to place an order soon and I am torn on whether to order them or not. Standard seat seems to be pretty well bolstered. I sat in the comp seats in a Z06 at a dealership and they felt pretty snug on the lats. Didn't try to adjust them, unsure how much play is in the adjustment. I'm 6', 195. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't know if this will help 6' 10" son inlaw in c6. Here is how I did it lower seat all the way down seat back tilt forward, move seat to rear all the way then tilt seat back as far as it will go. Jump in see how that works for you remember seat all the way down don't tilt front of seat up. He rides in my Z06 2016 so hope this helps.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 AM
Kaged
Instructor

Default I do like the Comp seats

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Bill,

How do you like the Comp Seats? Looking to place an order soon and I am torn on whether to order them or not. Standard seat seems to be pretty well bolstered. I sat in the comp seats in a Z06 at a dealership and they felt pretty snug on the lats. Didn't try to adjust them, unsure how much play is in the adjustment. I'm 6', 195. Any feedback is appreciated.
I really like the Competition seats. Initially a little more pressure on my thighs than I was used to. The side bolsters were fairly tight as well, but I used the adjustment **** on the bottom to open them up, and there was still more room to go. As I mentioned in another post, I picked up the car in Houston and drove 1700 miles in 2.5 days. Longest day was 860 miles. Only got out of the car when I stopped for gas. I'm 6"3", 195.
That being said, I think the GT seats are a bit more plush in comparison to the Comp seats. Recommend that you go back to the dealership and sit in the Comp seats for 15 - 20 minutes to see how you like them in comparison to the GT seats.
I wanted the Comp seats as there is much more side support in the right places for me compared to the GT seats, and I do intend to track this car!

Last edited by Kaged; 10-26-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for another inch of headroom in C7

Quick Reply: Looking for another inch of headroom in C7