'17 Stingray Z51, LT2

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Fred's Vettes
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '17 Stingray Z51, LT2

Hi all,
I'm new to the Forum but have been reading for a while helping with my '65. Just sold my '05 and received my order (6 wks) for my '17, Z51, LT2 Watkins Glen and I'm drooling on it.
12 years with the '05 and only 52,000 miles.
Question, I've never purchased an extended warranty before as I drive fewer miles. I'm looking for advise on the extra warranty due to little (but quality) annual driving. Ideas?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:12 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Don't waste your money....
The following users liked this post:
Fred's Vettes (11-18-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 02:25 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Start a savings account just for the Vette. Seed it with the money you were planning to put into an extended warranty, $2000 - $3000? Add to it monthly until you have enough saved for peace of mind knowing you could cover any out of warranty repair without jeopardizing your family living money. That way you always have "your" money if you need it and you will have whatever is left when you sell the Vette.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,672 Likes on 8,313 Posts

All extended warranties are pro-rata refundable or transferable to the new owner if you sell privately, which is a strong sales incentive.

The problem w/ the savings account idea is that many component replacements will cost 2x-5x more than the entire warranty premium. Just like your auto and home insurance, you may never need it, but prices are so good on GMEPP policies from a forum dealer, it's a no brainer to purchase one. I paid $890 for 3 extra years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
FLATJ (11-17-2016), Fred's Vettes (11-18-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Fred's Vettes
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Foosh
All extended warranties are pro-rata refundable or transferable to the new owner if you sell privately, which is a strong sales incentive.

The problem w/ the savings account idea is that many component replacements will cost 2x-5x more than the entire warranty premium. Just like your auto and home insurance, you may never need it, but prices are so good on GMEPP policies from a forum dealer, it's a no brainer to purchase one. I paid $890 for 3 extra years.

Thanks much Foosh.
Based on your recommendation, it really does not matter I drive few miles per yr. Can you recommend the type of warranty (bumper to bumper?) and where you got it for $890?
Foosh (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:08 PM
Fred's Vettes
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RicK T
Start a savings account just for the Vette. Seed it with the money you were planning to put into an extended warranty, $2000 - $3000? Add to it monthly until you have enough saved for peace of mind knowing you could cover any out of warranty repair without jeopardizing your family living money. That way you always have "your" money if you need it and you will have whatever is left when you sell the Vette.
I appreciate your response Rick. I have not yet begun checking the pricing but based on the response below, $890 seems practical. Of course, $3-$4/M is out of my reach. I'm not sure I have the mindset to actually place monthly equiv. in a savings act. I suppose I could look at this as being self insured. I've also checked into a Tire warranty from Discount Tire for $250 /all 4. I'm thinking this one over also.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Fred's Vettes
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Don't waste your money....

for any miles driven?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fred's Vettes
Thanks much Foosh.
Based on your recommendation, it really does not matter I drive few miles per yr. Can you recommend the type of warranty (bumper to bumper?) and where you got it for $890?
Yes, contact Ken or Dennis Fichtner at Denny Menholt Chevrolet. They are a registered forum vendor.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I currently have a extended warranty on my 04 I bought it for peace of mind and glad I did . My car was had to have the cross over repair done that some 04 encountered .The extended warranty covered the cross over cost due to car was out of the special warranty give for crossover problem. So I got crossover paid for and when I trade or sell 04 in spring I can get some of cost back or put towards C7 extended warranty or include in sale . For me I think it worked out good.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:00 PM
Fred's Vettes
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Borntorun04
I currently have a extended warranty on my 04 I bought it for peace of mind and glad I did . My car was had to have the cross over repair done that some 04 encountered .The extended warranty covered the cross over cost due to car was out of the special warranty give for crossover problem. So I got crossover paid for and when I trade or sell 04 in spring I can get some of cost back or put towards C7 extended warranty or include in sale . For me I think it worked out good.
Thanks for your input BorntoRun04.
After reading your response and others, I'm going to at least check out the pricing to decide.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Fred,
There is a forum dealer who sells the GM extended warranty, GMEPP (not GMPP) at discounted prices. I bought mine through them and paid less for a GM extended warranty than other Chevy dealers wanted for an after market warranty. If your car has magnetic ride control, only the GMEPP program covers the shocks, the ALLY, GMPP program does not. As for is it worth it, I plan on keeping the Vette for a number of years and have coverage through 2022. If I change my mind, I have options to get some of the money back, but I'm not concerned about it. BTW, I kept the price down by buying a 60K mile warranty because I only put about 5K to 6K per year on the Vette. It's all custom designed to give you the lowest cost.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Roadbike,

You're absolutely correct. The GMEPP is a very good, almost bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. I know you're talking about Ken Fichtner's prices, which I doubt can be beat, and I provided the dealership info in post #8 above.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Fred's Vettes
6th Gear

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Fred,
There is a forum dealer who sells the GM extended warranty, GMEPP (not GMPP) at discounted prices. I bought mine through them and paid less for a GM extended warranty than other Chevy dealers wanted for an after market warranty. If your car has magnetic ride control, only the GMEPP program covers the shocks, the ALLY, GMPP program does not. As for is it worth it, I plan on keeping the Vette for a number of years and have coverage through 2022. If I change my mind, I have options to get some of the money back, but I'm not concerned about it. BTW, I kept the price down by buying a 60K mile warranty because I only put about 5K to 6K per year on the Vette. It's all custom designed to give you the lowest cost.

Wow, the information I've gotten from my initial posting has been great! Thanks very much for the your input RB56. Your mileage seems to mirror my driving and I will plan to check out the GMEPP on Monday. Have a great weekend also.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Warranties are like insurance. Great to have when you need it, useless when you don't. Just another form of gambling.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM
DennyMenholtChev
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the mentions, I appreciate it!

Black Friday Protection Plan Sale Starts Now!

Now thru November 30, 2016.

I am offering the plan at our discounted price LESS an additional $250 DISCOUNT!

Sale ends on 11/30/16.

Prices from GM on the Chevrolet-Buick-GMC and Cadillac Protection Plan will be increasing by year end so don’t wait to buy the plan!

We are offering the lowest prices ever on the Chevrolet-Buick-GMC and Cadillac Protection Plan.

We are offering the Protection Plans from GM on any make & model.
AND, the plan prices are just over dealer cost, AND we are taking an additional $250 off!

To qualify for a Protection Plan from GM:

• You can reside in any state! The plan is available in every state.
  • Your vehicle must be a 2006 or newer model with less than 120,000 miles on the odometer.

I was the first to offer plans at a discounts and without sales tax.

Again, no sales tax and also no additional fee for accepting a credit card!

NOW THRU November 30, 2016,in addition to our deeply discounted prices for the NEW Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, & Cadillac Protection Plans, I am discounting the plan an additional $250!

Here’s a YouTube video on the Chevrolet-Buick-GMC and Cadillac Protection Plan:

The only Protection business that is ENDORSED by GM is the Chevrolet-Buick-GMC and Cadillac Protection Plan, which offers the only protection products that can give you the benefits of GM divisional branding and the highest level of GM system integration. Chevrolet-Buick-GMC and Cadillac Protection provides unparalleled brand recognition and delivers valuable benefits that no third party competitor can match, including:

A full suite of best-in-class products specifically designed for GM vehicles;

Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, and GM branding;

Claim payments backed by an industry leading "A" rated insurer;

A dedicated GM support field team of highly experienced professionals;

Ongoing, GM-customized development;

And GM system integration.

Chevrolet-Buick-GMC and Cadillac Protection Plans are part of General Motors.

I am still in business and now Dennis Fichtner has joined our team! I’m confident that you know the names of Ken and Dennis Fichtner for their expertise in the CorvetteForum for many years.

We promise great service and the lowest prices.

Matching and beating other offers is our goal!

Email for a quote today!
dfichtner@dennymenholt.com

Make sure to include your VIN, current odometer reading and state of residence.

If you call the old phone number that Dennis and I used for years you will be told that we are no longer around. NOT TRUE!

You can reach Dennis in his office directly at 406-896-3082

Have a great day!

Last edited by DennyMenholtChev; 11-19-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Got mine from Ken also. Great deal. If I remember correctly is was about $1,400 for three years and 60,000 add on miles and I like the idea that it was transferable or rebateable.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

You can also save a lot of money on the premium by purchasing a $100 deductible GMEPP plan.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:11 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Save your money, extended warranty is something you will never use and you will look back and realize you wasted your money on it.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Just like the bumper-to-bumper warranty, until you do need it. Most people don't ever need to use their automobile collision insurance or homeowner's insurance either. Is that a waste of money too?

Telling someone it's a waste of money is silly and non-productive. It's all about how one likes to play the odds.

I recently paid $890 to extend my warranty for 3 years past the expiration of my '14 C7 B2B warranty. I felt just fine about "wasting" $296 a year to avoid the possibility of a repair costing considerably more than $890 during that 3-year period after B2B expiration.

A lot of people blow through more than $296 per year on Corvette "jewelry" speaking of wasting money.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-19-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '17 Stingray Z51, LT2

Quick Reply: '17 Stingray Z51, LT2