C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat memory does not set side bolsters - WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Seat memory does not set side bolsters - WTH?

Me and my gf have quite different seating positions, that's why we love the seat memory function.

She needs the side support very narrow and the lumbar pumped up, I on the other hand need the opposite. These seat features seem to not adjust with the seat position memory or key fob.

Secondly on my Porsche I just tab the seating position button and it adjusts, in the Vette I have to hold it...

WTH? Am I missing something?

Why are so many things on this car done half ***?

Last edited by andy82; 11-23-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:53 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by andy82
Secondly on my Porsche I just tab the seating position button and it adjusts, in the Vette I have to hold it...WTH? Am I missing something? Why are so many things on this car done half ***?
Yes, you are missing something. You have to contrast your attitude with that of many owners who feel the Corvette has too many gizmo features as it is. Why doesn't the vette have a blind spot indicator? That's half ***! Why doesn't the vette have a lane nanny system? That's half ***! It just depends on where on this continuum your attitude rests. You enjoy push button windows, an HVAC system, an automatic transmission, auto-dimming headlights, a nav and entertainment system, a terribly complex dash and gauge system, and a bevy of fancy features that would have been considered extravagant and laughable a few years ago. You want push button windows in a sports car???? WTF????

Every time you want yet another automatic feature that means a servo motor must be installed along with all the electronics necessary to make it work. That's another few bucks and another few ounces or pounds to add to a car where those two items are carefully scrutinized, where every ounce and dollar counts. And that's why you can buy a vette for $60K or pay twice as much for a Porsche for an entry level model.

Last edited by mschuyler; 11-23-2016 at 01:53 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mschuyler:
Foosh (11-23-2016), Kent1999 (11-23-2016), Len44 (11-23-2016), Woodson (11-25-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 02:00 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

It's not done halfway, it's how they determined that it should work.

As for the lumbar question, that's a function of an air pump and bladder, versus a motor that adjusts to a particular position. It would be difficult to set memory and restore a particular "setting" to what is effectively a balloon. I've never had a car that put lumbar or side bolsters as part of the memory.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:00 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Yes, you are missing something. You have to contrast your attitude with that of many owners who feel the Corvette has too many gizmo features as it is. Why doesn't the vette have a blind spot indicator? That's half ***! Why doesn't the vette have a lane nanny system? That's half ***! It just depends on where on this continuum your attitude rests. You enjoy push button windows, an HVAC system, an automatic transmission, auto-dimming headlights, a nav and entertainment system, a terribly complex dash and gauge system, and a bevy of fancy features that would have been considered extravagant and laughable a few years ago. You want push button windows in a sports car???? WTF????

Every time you want yet another automatic feature that means a servo motor must be installed along with all the electronics necessary to make it work. That's another few bucks and another few ounces or pounds to add to a car where those two items are carefully scrutinized, where every ounce and dollar counts. And that's why you can buy a vette for $60K or pay twice as much for a Porsche for an entry level model.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:11 PM
andy82
Safety Car

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by yeller z06

As for the lumbar question, that's a function of an air pump and bladder, versus a motor that adjusts to a particular position. It would be difficult to set memory and restore a particular "setting" to what is effectively a balloon. I've never had a car that put lumbar or side bolsters as part of the memory.
I fully understand the lumbar because it involves a pump, but what is the reason to not adjust the side bolsters please?
Old 11-23-2016, 02:15 PM
andy82
Safety Car

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Sorry, but I did not say I want more features, the car is feature rich as it is.

But give me a logical explanation why do they only adjust half the seat functions with the memory button? They are electrically adjusted like all the other seat functions in the same area at the bottom side of the seat.

Last edited by andy82; 11-23-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Sorry, but I did not say I want more features, the car is feature rich as it is.

But give me a logical explanation why do they only adjust half the seat functions with the memory button?
I already told you. Yes, you ARE saying you want "more features." That's precisely what you are saying. You want that button to do more for you than it does now. You want it to be automatic, not manual. That would require additional circuitry and additional sensors. You say the car is "feature rich" yet you want more features. You have your 'logical answer' already. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by mschuyler; 11-23-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:45 PM
andy82
Safety Car

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I already told you. Yes, you ARE saying you want "more features." That's precisely what you are saying. You want that button to do more for you than it does now. You want it to be automatic, not manual. That would require additional circuitry and additional sensors. You say the car is "feature rich" yet you want more features. You have your 'logical answer' already. It's not rocket science.
I assume you have an amplifier at home that only adjusts the volume of 3 speakers instead of 4.

See the logic? No? Because there is no logic to it. Its called "Seat memory" and not "Half Seat Memory". And again, I don't want more features, I just want the announced ones to work as they should.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Mikec967
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Simple post can get real nasty hear........lol
Old 11-23-2016, 03:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

While my C6 remembered the seat position what it did not remember was the angle of the seat back. That was because in the C6 that was manual. So a motor had to be added, etc. Now it remembers and recalls the recline.

That and now in the C7 I can move from Seat position #1 to Seat position #2 while the car is in motion.

Now if I could just get it to move by the touch of a button instead of having to hold the button down...

Maybe in the C8...

Last edited by defaria; 11-23-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:20 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

I assume you have an amplifier at home that only adjusts the volume of 3 speakers instead of 4.

See the logic? No? Because there is no logic to it. Its called "Seat memory" and not "Half Seat Memory". And again, I don't want more features, I just want the announced ones to work as they should.
Very bad analogy. You have the ability to change your seat settings--all of them. You just want them all to be automatic. It's not a matter of "logic." It's a matter of "how it works." It is not necessary nor required for gm to agree to your definition of "how it should work." They obviously don't agree with you. Nor is it necessary to give you only an answer you will accept. You want it to be more automated than it is. It isn't, so you're claiming that is "not logical." Once again: IT WOULD REQUIRE MORE SENSORS and circuitry to do what you want done. SENSORS COST MONEY. And we know gm is sensitive about cost issues.

There's your answer. It really isn't necessary to satisfy you any further.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:05 PM
andy82
Safety Car

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Very bad analogy. You have the ability to change your seat settings--all of them. You just want them all to be automatic. It's not a matter of "logic." It's a matter of "how it works." It is not necessary nor required for gm to agree to your definition of "how it should work." They obviously don't agree with you. Nor is it necessary to give you only an answer you will accept. You want it to be more automated than it is. It isn't, so you're claiming that is "not logical." Once again: IT WOULD REQUIRE MORE SENSORS and circuitry to do what you want done. SENSORS COST MONEY. And we know gm is sensitive about cost issues.

There's your answer. It really isn't necessary to satisfy you any further.
Thanks! Maybe in the C8 then
Old 11-23-2016, 06:58 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Well, buddy. You're gonna fight to the bitter end because, by God! You're RIGHT! But you know what? The answer is still the same. Whether or not you THINK that feature is designed properly or not, it's not going to change because you want it done differently. No matter how much you rant on about it, the answer is still that it was designed that way BECAUSE of cost considerations. It doesn't really matter whether you think that is logical or not.

Oh, and BTW. Those stereo speakers of mine that you mentioned? Two different *****. The bass is controlled separately by a **** on the woofer itself. It's very inconvenient.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

So what are you suggesting he do instead mschuyler? Roll over and play dead? Truth is that the only way things change is for people to voice their opinion.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:20 AM
billeee
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Get a fatter GF.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM
KrikGS
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 28 Posts

I fully understand the lumbar because it involves a pump, but what is the reason to not adjust the side bolsters please?
I'm pretty sure the side bolsters adjust via pump as well. As the bladder gets filled with air, the bolsters enlarge enveloping the driver's sides or in my case, love handles. And that's why I don't ever use them!
Old 11-25-2016, 10:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06

The same with the side bolsters, they use an air bladder to move the wings in. You'd have to have a system, as you would for the lumbar support, to set air pressure. Although it would be possible, not as simple as setting electric motor position.

Good video on the C7 seat operation

Last edited by JerryU; 11-25-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat memory does not set side bolsters - WTH?

Quick Reply: Seat memory does not set side bolsters - WTH?