Sponsored by:

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:55 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts
Default TPMS question

I'm thinking about upgrading my base '16 wheels to 19/20 Cray's. I'll have to buy new tpms units. Once installed how are the new units learned/recognized by the computer?
Thanks..
Old 11-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

New TPMS sensors are recognized instantly. No programming is necessary. You don't have to do anything.

I just put a new set of all-season tires, new wheels, and new TPMS sensors on my car last week. I had them mounted and balanced, brought them home, and put them on the car myself in my garage. After I finished, I started the car, and instantly had pressure readings on all 4 corners.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-24-2016 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justplainjim (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:51 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

My TPMS logs in a new set of tire pressure sensors automatically.

But mine don't do it instantly!!

I run a few psi less in my track tires than my streets, and when I swap from street to track wheels/tires or back the pressure from the set I just took off stays displayed when I first start up after switching.

I believe you need to drive above about 20 mph for a couple of minutes for the new set of tire pressure sensors to "learn" themselves into the TPMS.

After swapping on a different set, when I start to drive above 20 mph with the pressures displayed it takes a minute or two before the new/different pressures are displayed -and that's how I know the new set is now programmed into the TPMS memory.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

I have a 14 and traded wheels with another member with a 16. The car recognized the new tpms instantly and no reprogramming was needed.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
My TPMS logs in a new set of tire pressure sensors automatically.

But mine don't do it instantly!!

I run a few psi less in my track tires than my streets, and when I swap from street to track wheels/tires or back the pressure from the set I just took off stays displayed when I first start up after switching.

I believe you need to drive above about 20 mph for a couple of minutes for the new set of tire pressure sensors to "learn" themselves into the TPMS.

After swapping on a different set, when I start to drive above 20 mph with the pressures displayed it takes a minute or two before the new/different pressures are displayed -and that's how I know the new set is now programmed into the TPMS memory.

OK, the point is you don't get a TPMS light and have to go through a programming process or 25-50 mile drive as w/ TPMS sensors of the past.

Since my new tires were inflated to the same psi as the tires I took off, perhaps I was getting the old readings "instantly," but the GM sensors used in the C7 update every approximately 10 seconds when moving so one wouldn't really notice. I know that because I watch my pressures fluctuate that often when watching cold tires go to warm tires when starting out.

That's the point, it's "instant" and "trouble-free." Is it really all that important that it took you a couple of minutes, which is essentially "instant," to get the new tire pressure readings?

One of the issues on this forum is that new people often come here to get simple answers, and they usually get those, along w/ a bunch of "dissertations."

Last edited by Foosh; 11-24-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by justplainjim
I'm thinking about upgrading my base '16 wheels to 19/20 Cray's. I'll have to buy new tpms units. Once installed how are the new units learned/recognized by the computer?
Thanks..
Why buy new unless you are going to use the old wheels? Just buy new seals and have the old sensors transferred to the new wheels. Save a little bit of money and don't have a set of sensors sitting around doing nothing.

Bill
Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I always set the new wheels/tires to 35 psi so I will know that the TPMS is working on the new wheels. It takes about 10 minutes of driving before the 30ish settings move to 35ish. Later I drop the pressure to the 30-32 I run normally. I change out wheels/tires monthly so like to know the change was effective.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:30 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why buy new unless you are going to use the old wheels? Just buy new seals and have the old sensors transferred to the new wheels. Save a little bit of money and don't have a set of sensors sitting around doing nothing.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Going to sell the wheels and tires to a friend..
Old 11-24-2016, 12:47 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
New TPMS sensors are recognized instantly. No programming is necessary. You don't have to do anything.

I just put a new set of all-season tires, new wheels, and new TPMS sensors on my car last week. I had them mounted and balanced, brought them home, and put them on the car myself in my garage. After I finished, I started the car, and instantly had pressure readings on all 4 corners.
I did the exact same process as above. Once I bought the new wheels and mounted tires at home in my garage and placed on the C7, the transfer was instant.

I did not have Discount Tire remove the original TPMS from the wheels as I sold the Z51 wheels and left the TPMS in for the new buyer. It made the sale much easier.

Be sure to order the correct TPMS model number for the Vette. Any TPMS will not work properly for the read/learn sequence.

Paid: $29.07 each

........................................ .......
Attached Images  

Last edited by nmvettec7; 11-24-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a question. I bought new wheels with sensors already in them but the sensors are reading on opposite sides. For example, the car thinks both right sensors are on the left. I did a reset through the gauge cluster with no change. What can I do except switching the sensors around?

Last edited by Eff A Ford; 11-24-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:41 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
I have a question. I bought new wheels with sensors already in them but the sensors are reading on opposite sides. For example, the car thinks both right sensors are on the left. I did a reset through the gauge cluster with no change. What can I do except switching the sensors around?
Options
Go to a dealer
buy the reset tool
live with it and remember.....

Id do #3....

Last edited by Glen e; 11-24-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Eff A Ford (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glen e
Go to a dealer or buy the reset tool......or live with it and remember.....
Might just live with it. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:48 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

When I bought my new ACDelco 13581560 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor Sold by Amazon.com $29.07 each TPMS for my 2015 C7 there was no way to differentiate the sensors. There was no left or right, front or back.

My guess is there is a problem with the C7 reading/relearning the sensors on the wheels you bought. Take your C7 to a local tire dealer and have them read the sensors or do as "Glen e" suggested above.

There is a problem somewhere in the system.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
When I bought my new ACDelco 13581560 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor Sold by Amazon.com $29.07 each TPMS for my 2015 C7 there was no way to differentiate the sensors. There was no left or right, front or back.

My guess is there is a problem with the C7 reading/relearning the sensors on the wheels you bought. Take your C7 to a local tire dealer and have them read the sensors or do as "Glen e" suggested above.

There is a problem somewhere in the system.
That's what I was thinking. My guess is either the sensors are aftermarket and not fully compatible, or the fact that the sensors are now located in the rear of the wheels instead of the front and the car has a hard time differentiating the locations.

As long as they are reading is the most important part.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I'm getting confused in this thread on whether the car is able to differentiate Left from Right during the learning process.

When I bought my second set of wheels, the guy used a tool to reprogram the new sensors to mimic the original ones. Sounds like that may not have been necessary based on a few of the posts here.

But I don't get how the car would know which signal is coming from which wheel during the learning process.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

I'm guessing there are receivers on each corner of the car that
Old 11-25-2016, 02:37 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I'm getting confused in this thread on whether the car is able to differentiate Left from Right during the learning process.

When I bought my second set of wheels, the guy used a tool to reprogram the new sensors to mimic the original ones. Sounds like that may not have been necessary based on a few of the posts here.

But I don't get how the car would know which signal is coming from which wheel during the learning process.
I'm guessing there are receivers on each corner of the car that
It is not necessary to use a reprogramming tool when installing TPMS that are 100% compatible with the Corvette C7.

How do I know? I installed new TPMS on a new set of Z06 Reproduction wheels for my base C7 1LT this spring.

The correct TPMS is the ACDelco 13581560 GM Original Equipment Tire Pressure Sensor. I bought mine via Amazon for $29.07 each.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS question

Quick Reply: TPMS question