Sponsored by:

Annoying buzz at the front of the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Annoying buzz at the front of the car

We've picked up an annoying metallic buzz that seems to be somewhere in the front of the car. It is intermittent and occurs more often above 35 mph.

It's kind of hard to describe other than the above. It almost sounds like a screw is loose; a buzzy, tinny sound that is very annoying.

Anyone have any ideas of where to look?

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving weekend!
Old 11-25-2016, 09:04 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
We've picked up an annoying metallic buzz that seems to be somewhere in the front of the car. It is intermittent and occurs more often above 35 mph.

It's kind of hard to describe other than the above. It almost sounds like a screw is loose; a buzzy, tinny sound that is very annoying.

Front as in inside the car or the actual hood?

I have an annoying little buzz that's coming from the speaker area right in front of the steering wheel and near the windshield. I'll be dropping it off sometime in January to get it fixed at the dealership.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:38 PM
cowboys223
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the small center air vent above the radio. Hold the slide lever that directs the airflow between your fingers, and see if the sound goes away. It probably will. Very common, and annoying, issue.
The following users liked this post:
AdventurePoser (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:44 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Check your visors and make sure they are locked in place.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:53 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

My garage door opener that is hooked on my visor buzzes if the metal clip is touching the hard plastic on the visor. Also does it above 35 mph.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:11 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Remove everything behind the info screen and empty cup holders, glove box, and console just to eliminate those areas.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:20 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by graj6

I have an annoying little buzz that's coming from the speaker area right in front of the steering wheel and near the windshield. I'll be dropping it off sometime in January to get it fixed at the dealership.

I don't think it is in the dash or hood. The sound really seems to be coming from the very front of the car...
Old 11-26-2016, 06:22 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonC7
Remove everything behind the info screen and empty cup holders, glove box, and console just to eliminate those areas.
That's a great tip...I've taken everything loose out of the car that I can find. I'll give it another go, just to be sure...
Old 11-27-2016, 11:44 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Let me know or post what they find because mine does the same thing and its in the same area !!! The sound is like popping popcorn using one of the old Jiiffy Pop on top of the stove !!!! Thanks Wayne
Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Good luck on your repairs as well. I'm going to follow the suggestions above and see if I can rectify the problem. If not, mine will go into the shop as well. Aaargh.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi AdventurePoser,

I see that other forum members have provided some great advice, but I wanted to offer my assistance as well. Please feel free to send me a private message with your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if you're interested in making a diagnostic appointment.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
AdventurePoser (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Hey graj6,

Please feel free to let us know when you plan to drop your 'vette of with your dealer. We'd be happy to work alongside them to ensure this concern is addressed.

If this interests you, please include your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and dealer in your private message.

Thanks,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by wgood
Let me know or post what they find because mine does the same thing and its in the same area !!! The sound is like popping popcorn using one of the old Jiiffy Pop on top of the stove !!!! Thanks Wayne
Hi Wayne,

If you are interested in visiting your dealership to have this addressed, please don't hesitate to send me a private message! We'd be happy to assist in scheduling an appointment, and can document this concern in our system for further review.

Have a great night,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-27-2016, 05:54 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by wgood
I had a Saleen Mustang that made a similar noise. It turned out a screw on the protective panel over one of the cats had vibrated loose...making a very similar 'buzzy' sound. We'll see!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck on your repairs as well. I'm going to follow the suggestions above and see if I can rectify the problem. If not, mine will go into the shop as well. Aaargh.
Depending on the Chevy service department where you take it to, it will be: "it's normal" or "we don't hear anything".

Good Luck.
AdventurePoser (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 08:03 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Depending on the Chevy service department where you take it to, it will be: "it's normal" or "we don't hear anything".

Good Luck.
The first time I ever took a Chevy in to have a rattle fixed, I got the car back with the radio turned up to 11 and the comment "we couldn't hear it".

Now I don't even bother.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:45 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yup, had the same issue except mine would happen at 1500 RPM....sounded like a buzz/vibration coming from inside the dash. My dealer is awesome to work with; I called my service writer and asked if I could have a mechanic ride with me...no problem. When we went for a ride, he had me power brake the car up to 1500 RPM then popped the hood....it was the fuel line. He said there is a tech bulletin on this issue; they replace the fuel line and all is good....been over 5K miles now.
AdventurePoser (11-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Annoying buzz at the front of the car

Old 11-28-2016, 04:05 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by hisvett
Yup, had the same issue except mine would happen at 1500 RPM....sounded like a buzz/vibration coming from inside the dash. My dealer is awesome to work with; I called my service writer and asked if I could have a mechanic ride with me...no problem. When we went for a ride, he had me power brake the car up to 1500 RPM then popped the hood....it was the fuel line. He said there is a tech bulletin on this issue; they replace the fuel line and all is good....been over 5K miles now.
I'll check this as well. Due to stormy weather, I haven't had the car out in the past week....
Old 11-28-2016, 04:07 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey graj6,

Please feel free to let us know when you plan to drop your 'vette of with your dealer. We'd be happy to work alongside them to ensure this concern is addressed.

If this interests you, please include your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and dealer in your private message.

Thanks,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Will do, just to be clear I haven't had issues with this dealership - they've gone out of their way to fix things and help me out. Hopefully they fix this too when I take it in January (haven't fixed a date yet).
Old 11-28-2016, 05:56 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi AdventurePoser,

I see that other forum members have provided some great advice, but I wanted to offer my assistance as well. Please feel free to send me a private message with your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if you're interested in making a diagnostic appointment.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Corey, thank you. As soon as it stops raining, I'll be taking the car out and trying to isolate the rattle. If that doesn't work, I'll contact Power Chevrolet here in Newport OR.

Quick Reply: Annoying buzz at the front of the car