Sponsored by:

Steering column play?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 03:51 PM
R8Z51
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Steering column play?

I'm able to move my steering column a tad bit vertically. It gets annoying sometimes when I'm turning. Can someone verify if this is normal or not? I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:59 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Not normal. My CTS-V coupe had this problem. A simple bolt had stripped, R/R took 15 minutes at the dealer.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:02 PM
R8Z51
Racer

What's R/R? Does the CTS-V have the same power telescoping column? I think this happens from grabbing the steering wheel to get out of the car.

Thanks for the info! I'll mention it next time it's in for servicing.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:07 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

As noted not normal.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:33 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cvp33
Not normal. My CTS-V coupe had this problem. A simple bolt had stripped, R/R took 15 minutes at the dealer.
I am experiencing the vertical moment too. Do you mind expanding on what the fix is?
Thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by R8Z51
What's R/R?
It's shorthand for "remove and replace."
Old 11-28-2016, 09:53 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Dealer fixed mine so I couldn't say exactly how to fix it. I had a bad habit of using the steering wheel to push my way out of the car. That and a lot of HPDE's put stress on that part. $8 part, $10 labor as I recall.
The following users liked this post:
luchner (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
luchner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R%R - what part numbers?

Originally Posted by cvp33
Dealer fixed mine so I couldn't say exactly how to fix it. I had a bad habit of using the steering wheel to push my way out of the car. That and a lot of HPDE's put stress on that part. $8 part, $10 labor as I recall.
Hi, I have the same problem on my new 2017 Grand Sport. Do you remember what part(s) had to be replaced to fix the issue? My dealership seems not to be able to address the issue! Thank you in advance, Best, Wolfram
Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 PM
R8Z51
Racer

Update: Had to wait 2 weeks for the part to come in, but it's fixed now. I checked out a brand new C7 in the showroom floor and it had the same problem! The entire column moved up and down slightly. I'll try getting a picture of my service invoice up.
The following 2 users liked this post by R8Z51:
ddelallata (04-23-2017), luchner (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:18 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Update: Had to wait 2 weeks for the part to come in, but it's fixed now. I checked out a brand new C7 in the showroom floor and it had the same problem! The entire column moved up and down slightly. I'll try getting a picture of my service invoice up.
Yes please get a pic of what was done. I just noticed the other day mine was doing this.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 PM
luchner
Cruising

Yes please, get the pic uploaded. My dealership has more than 80 (!) C7's on the show floor - every single one I sat in seems to have the issue, some more than others. I really hope it's not a design flaw, but instead a manufacturing/ qc issue that can be resolved via R&R.

As a sidenote: I know it sounds silly to compare an SUV to a Vette, but my 2016 BMW X5 Msport has absolutely no play in the electrically adjustable steering column. Rock solid.

Last edited by luchner; 04-24-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 PM
luchner
Cruising

Hi again! My GS has a service appt. this Friday when they will look into the loose steering column. Any chance you you could upload the invoice beforehand? This would be super helpful in order to support them solving the issue. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 PM
R8Z51
Racer

Here is the invoice:

Name:  0jVJa5l.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  1,013.5 KB
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 PM
luchner
Cruising

Default Thank you so much!

thank you so much man! I'll show the thread and part number to the dealer. It's around $180 for the tilt motor. Well, the car is new and has wattanty!

Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 PM
luchner
Cruising

Default update

confronted the service manager with this thread regarding the same issue on my brand new GS 2017. they "diagnosed" my car, and since almost all of the other new Corvettes they had in stock had the issue too, they tried to explain to me it was "design intent". Design intent?! I worked for GM as designer for 4 years, so certainly it's not a design intent to sell cars with a steering column that has play...
...i showed them the invoice from R8Z51S repair odyssey, and made them check out the camaros and other non-corvettes in their showroom. Non of them has any play in the steering column. Finally, after that they agreed to order the part...
...hopefully replacing it will solve the issue. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:52 AM
luchner
Cruising

MISSING PART ???
Hi guys, I took a look at the steering column myself today after total fail of my dealership Boardwalk Chevrolet. It's not the tilt motor in my case. The entire moving portion of the column has play. I posted two pictures where you can see the inner part of the column that slides back and forth for longitudinal adjustment. You can see a little screw, kept in place by red loctite. These screws (one per side) hold nothing in place at all!!!! They just sit there inside the track along which teh inner portion of the column travels back and forth for no apparent reason.
I have a guess, and maybe one of you can help me figuring out if I'm right or wrong: It appears to me that these two screws were supposed to hold a plastic piece in place that would keep the steering column play-free inside the track (hence the grease in the track that u can see in the pictures). I suspect these pieces have never been installed! could that be? I tried to search for steering column parts, but could only find the entire coulmn assembly online. Could any of you take a look at your columns? all it takes it lifting off the upper portion of the column plastic cover (one bolt on the underside needs to be removed prior). Thanks everyone in advance!!!! Best, Wolf.

Last edited by luchner; 05-09-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by luchner
MISSING PART ???
Hi guys, I took a look at the steering column myself today after total fail of my dealership Boardwalk Chevrolet. It's not the tilt motor in my case. The entire moving portion of the column has play. I posted two pictures where you can see the inner part of the column that slides back and forth for longitudinal adjustment. You can see a little screw, kept in place by red loctite. These screws (one per side) hold nothing in place at all!!!! They just sit there inside the track along which teh inner portion of the column travels back and forth for no apparent reason.
I have a guess, and maybe one of you can help me figuring out if I'm right or wrong: It appears to me that these two screws were supposed to hold a plastic piece in place that would keep the steering column play-free inside the track (hence the grease in the track that u can see in the pictures). I suspect these pieces have never been installed! could that be? I tried to search for steering column parts, but could only find the entire coulmn assembly online. Could any of you take a look at your columns? all it takes it lifting off the upper portion of the column plastic cover (one bolt on the underside needs to be removed prior). Thanks everyone in advance!!!! Best, Wolf.

Ever find out if a piece was missing?

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column play?

Quick Reply: Steering column play?