Repaint

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:52 AM
moodysman
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Repaint

what's every ones
advice about body shop paint work? I want to repaint my C7 front bumper cover and have it match!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Supraman45
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

On my 2016, I had a minor scrape with someone in a parking lot and my local dealer repainted the front bumper and I cannot tell that anything was done! The color, texture, shine are all just like original. They took the cover off to redo it, and make sure that the clear "wrapped" all around. Car is Shark Grey.
The following users liked this post:
moodysman (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:06 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman45
On my 2016, I had a minor scrape with someone in a parking lot and my local dealer repainted the front bumper and I cannot tell that anything was done! The color, texture, shine are all just like original. They took the cover off to redo it, and make sure that the clear "wrapped" all around. Car is Shark Grey.

This is a relief to hear as my Shark Gray also needs a little help. My friend's mom backed into my car and kinda spidered the paint. Also cracked the grill a little under the aero plate, but I'm getting the original grill from my dad's C7. I'm gonna swap out the grill but wait for more rock chip damage before I bother with a repaint. It's not that noticeable unless I point it out to people. I can't really even take a pic of the damage. Got $1400 from her Progressive insurance to spend, which begs the question of how much it will cost...
moodysman (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

get it done if it's bothering you. just make sure they are reputable not some insurance fast shop. take it to a place where they will actually PREP it properly.. that's the KEY..

then get it Xpel wrapped once the shop says you can.
moodysman (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

A good body shop should be able to match the paint perfectly. When I had an aftermarket hood added to the '00 pewter Vette I had, the shop matched it exactly.
moodysman (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

What is termed a "butt match" with metallic paints can be difficult.
Not impossible but difficult.

More color matching time should be included in the estimate over a typical "plug" entry of .5 of an hour.

With metallics, many shops blend onto the hood and fenders with clear and or color to "fool" the eye.

You should have the bumper removed or loosened so the paint does not fill into the gaps.
Ditto, remove emblem and replace with a new one is best, plus remove all the lights grilles etc before painting. Also watch for under spray going to the under carriage.

Then there is mil thickness. The OEM paint should be reduced to primer before repainting to keep the paint thickness in spec. When blending you can have a mil issue.

Lastly, with flex bumpers a flex additive should be used in the paint to help reduce chips and cracks from impacts. This additive also affects color match.

As a color match test, I have found viewing in a parking lot that is lit at night really shows if you got a match.

It is what it is...to coin a phase.
Hence you have diminished value IMO so good luck with that.

Or as the OP wrote "want to" not "need to" I wouldn't repaint.
So, options could be to add a bra or do a chip repairs.
Seriously, advice if it was me, I sell and buy a new Vette if this is a "need to".
Accidents s**k.

Again, good luck.
moodysman (12-13-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM
moodysman
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman45
Wish your shop was near me!

Get notified of new replies

To Repaint

Quick Reply: Repaint