Sponsored by:

Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Thanks AJ, you must of been an engineer.
Its a process

Amazing how many seps are involved in something so seemingly simple.

The worst time I had getting in/out was after I broke my shoulderblade.
Had to figure out the sequence of steps without needing to lean forward at the waist, which put too much stress on the broken bone.

It can be done, but each step has to be slow and deliberate.

The weirdest part of that experience was although my vettes were harder to get into an out of, they were more comfortable to be in, than my SUV.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:20 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Well guys I actually bit the bullet and bought my Corvette. I will pick it up at Macmulkin and drive it home to Utah. Got a great deal. I haven't sold My Challenger yet, as I want to make sure I get the Corvette home and make sure there are no bugs to iron out. Hopefully after driving a couple 1000 miles in the Vette, selling the Challenger will be a little more easy to part with. That car has been great. No issues. I hope the Vette is the same. Thanks for all your help and answering my questions. This is a great forum. I'm sure I will be on it quite a bit as I still have lots of questions. I don't want to track the car so I got a base 1LT 7 speed manual with the performance exhaust and the battery protection package. This will be a back road cruiser. So my focus was on ride quality. Also the standard 1LT seem to have enough comfort for me. 2LT gave me things I really didn't want. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Family! Be sure to post pics when you get her home!

(See, I *told* you I'd be the first to welcome you! LOL)
The following users liked this post:
mbaessler (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Good! Just be sure to make sure they have done the checklist as well as check the panel installation joints for possible paint rubbing issues.
Let them know before you get there that you will be looking for this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...heck-list.html
Believe me that it is important!
You have a great car!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Given what you've said -- with all seriousness and respect, I'll vote "no" -- you should shop for something other than a C7.

A true sports car will require compromises in comfort, size, ingress/egress, etc, that I'm not sure you will appreciate making in the longer term if you are not truly in love with the car. You've mentioned that you are used to cruisers that are not "sports cars", but rather "sporty cars" -- big difference.

In my personal experience, if you are not smitten on the first drive of a Corvette with a "gotta have one!" feeling, the compromises that come later will soon tire you out, and you'll trade it away and move on.

Just 2 cents of Free Advice from someone who has happily been into Corvettes for over 4 decades. Others' experiences may be different than mine, so this is just some food for thought.

Good luck in your choice, regardless of which way you decide. If you buy a C7, I'll be one of the first to welcome you here... this forum really adds a lot to the Corvette ownership experience!
I tend to agree. I drove a bunch of cars and the corvette just kept making sense to me. But that’s me. If you’re driving other cars and feel uncertain, then you need to keep looking until you find what you want.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Norton24
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys I actually bit the bullet and bought my Corvette. I will pick it up at Macmulkin and drive it home to Utah. Got a great deal. I haven't sold My Challenger yet, as I want to make sure I get the Corvette home and make sure there are no bugs to iron out. Hopefully after driving a couple 1000 miles in the Vette, selling the Challenger will be a little more easy to part with. That car has been great. No issues. I hope the Vette is the same. Thanks for all your help and answering my questions. This is a great forum. I'm sure I will be on it quite a bit as I still have lots of questions. I don't want to track the car so I got a base 1LT 7 speed manual with the performance exhaust and the battery protection package. This will be a back road cruiser. So my focus was on ride quality. Also the standard 1LT seem to have enough comfort for me. 2LT gave me things I really didn't want. Thanks again.
Congratulations on your Corvette. I made this exact same decision. I had a 2013 Challenger RT Classic. I also had a manual. I purchased a 2017 1LT 7M with the performance exhaust. Love the Corvette. Yes the interior of the Dodge was more spacious, but there isn't anything I regret about getting the Corvette. I love it!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Mike00
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on the vette. Entire thread is interesting as I'm considering a Hellcat (unlikely since I want a manual), a ZL1, and a Vette.

The vette for me is obviously the best looking car. But I have to admit I'm struggling with the idea of paying essentially same price as a ZL1 and missing out on that HP.

I play to test drive both but man if this won't be a hard decision.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Great time of year for a cross country trip. If you get into the rain from Irma do not worry, your Corvette won't melt. Use Weather mode if the roads are wet. Enjoy the trip.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 PM
06nine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations! If you're anything like me, the only regret you'll most likely have is that you'll wished you'd gotten it sooner.
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

good job you will be really happy

let us know that is a fact in a while. Jeff
Old 09-08-2017, 09:08 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by 06nine
Congratulations! If you're anything like me, the only regret you'll most likely have is that you'll wished you'd gotten it sooner.
I hope so. Though the Challenger was a nice ride.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeffer
good job you will be really happy

let us know that is a fact in a while. Jeff
Will do!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:27 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette
Yes.

Yes, you do.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:42 AM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Big difference between a '65 and 2017 Vette!! Recall driving my buddies from around that era with a 435 hp BB! Recall it shifting lanes on the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shift! That was fun "in the day." The C7 won't change lanes (with nannies engaged) and a 0 to 60 is not very dramatic but fun!

A light, agile Miata is NOT like a Vette! More like my modified Corvair or 260Z. Drive one to be sure it fits what you want!
I test drove a new 2016 Miata in stick and while it was a little more fun than a Camry I rented, it's a slow car and it doesn't have the traction and it leaned a lot, and doesn't have the thrilling exhaust note like a Corvette with the performance exhaust. Miata also felt unsafe because it's sooo small as I was in the middle of all the big SUVs around me. Miata also doesn't feel as masculine.

Last edited by ptran00; 09-09-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been looking at and trying to get a feel about the C7. I own a 2010 Dodge Challenger RT Classic 6 speed with 8000 miles. Great car and pulls really well and corners flat. I have some mods on it.
Challenger is essentially a slightly shortened Charger, a big, comfortable American car with a lot of space. (I DD an AWD Charger, FYI.)

C7 is a sports car/GT car, but I would say more on the sports car side of the equation. That is, when the designers had to choose between comfort/refinement or performance they tended toward performance. C7 is big enough and comfortable enough to be used as a GT (car suitable for trips for a couple), but it isn't going to be the cushy cruiser that Challenger or Charger is at heart. C7 isn't as confining and basic as a Miata or one of the old British sports cars like TR3, TR4, MGB, however.

If you want the comfort of the Challenger in a C7 you can do slight mods to achieve it: more sound insulation, more compliant/quieter tires. You won't increase interior space of course, but there's enough, including a lot more luggage space than in most sports cars.

However, since you've been modding your Challenger in the direction of increased performance/cornering, C7 may be your thing.

In making the decision, think of whether you really want a sports car or a GT, as I mentioned above. Think about how much you like your Challenger, and whether you want to keep its many good qualities.

PS: I'm one of those older guys who spends more time in my very comfortable DD, a lot more, but still appreciates C7s many great qualities.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 09-09-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:29 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by ptran00
I test drove a new 2016 Miata in stick and while it was a little more fun than a Camry I rented, it's a slow car and it doesn't have the traction and it leaned a lot, and doesn't have the thrilling exhaust note like a Corvette with the performance exhaust. Miata also felt unsafe because it's sooo small as I was in the middle of all the big SUVs around me. Miata also doesn't feel as masculine.
I'm only 5' 11" and don't really fit into a Miata. Miata owners I know are women who use them as a second car, would find C7 more car than they need but appreciate the size of Miata, more in scale with themselves.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Well just got home with the New vette. Drove it from New Hampshire (Macmulkin) to Utah.
Long drive, 3000 miles. Surprisingly comfortable. No issues at all. Need to get the oil changed now. Thanks to all of you that helped me out answering all my questions. I did use the checklist provided on the forum to help check the car out.
The following 2 users liked this post by mbaessler:
harmonyp (10-18-2017), Rebel Yell (10-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette