C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Sivtec
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Good morning all,

I know I am posting this on a site where everyone will be one sided, but I really wanted to see if anyone has come from or went to the Jag. I am SO split on the two. I know most are going to say test drive both and see which one you like but again if there are any owners or post owners I would love to hear what they say.

GS Pro's:
Removable Top
Manual Transmission
I imagine its much cheaper to maintain for its lifetime

Jag Pro's:
UNIQUE (how many R badges do you see in a month, MAYBE 1)
More power
That exhaust note tho...

PS. I know there are going to be people that say go with the Z06 but I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.

Last edited by Sivtec; 12-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

You're in luck, I owned both, but not a GS, Z51 in my case. I loved the F-Type, and you're right that it has the best exhaust note on the planet in my view. It's also a very well-built and reliable car.

I had two main problems w/ the F-Type:

1) It is a very heavy car, weighing about 500 lbs. more than the GS. That weight difference is very noticeable. Handling is far superior in the C7 Z51/GS, and given the weight difference the GS has virtually the same spec for straight-line acceleration, despite being down in power. The GS is way quicker around a race track because of vastly superior handling.

2) No manual available for the F-Type R.

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Gonzo (12-16-2016), Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

I was actually faced with almost the same decision last month, except it was a Stingray vs a regular F-Type. In the end, I went with the Stingray based on looks. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but in my opinion, the Vettes look much nicer than the F-types so I would have to vote for the Grand Sport.

Last edited by hangman; 12-14-2016 at 11:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pdiddy972 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Although I did not on an R, I do have an F-Type.

I have to tell you that the Jag is VERY well made. Everything is tight and well planned out. I cannot comment on the speed because my Jag is a Supercharged 6 cylinder and my 2014 Z-51 is a Supercharged (albeit aftermarket) LT1. what I can comment on is the fun-factor and the handling. Personally, I love to drive the Vette WAY more than the Jag. Just handling alone. The Jag feels much heavier than the Vette. The power between the 2 I have is huge.

I know you won't want to hear it, but for price-point comparisons, I don't think the GS and the F-Type R are a fair price comparison. It is more closely priced with the Z06, and in performance there is NO comparison at that point. I am really surprised what you say about the insurance.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Hangman,

Beauty is in the eye of . . . oh never mind.

On the F-Type forum, when I announced my decision to sell my F-Type and go to a C7, everyone was incredulous that I could dump such a classically beautiful car for what they considered to be a styling abomination.
hangman (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

David, he's looking at a used '15. They're selling in the $70K range now, so the price is very comparable w/ a new GS.

Also insurance rates do tend to be much lower on F-Types than the Z06, mostly likely because they are less likely to be involved in accidents.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Fair - but you can also look at a 2015 Z06.

I don't know, my choice would be clear, and I have both. My wife would probably have a different opinion.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 AM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it ironic..... the engineers who long ago designed the E-type went to
some length to center the mass in the chassis. The inline-6 sits well aft of the
front axle.

The F-type engineers seem to ignore the physics.... they have more than half of the engine ahead on front axle. It's crap.

They think we don't know the difference.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I don't think that's accurate. The V6 is a perfect 50/50 weight balance. The V8 is 52/48 front.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think that's accurate. The V6 is a perfect 50/50 weight balance. The V8 is 52/48 front.
Sorry, weight balance and mass centralization are two separate things....
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Hangman,

On the F-Type forum, when I announced my decision to sell my F-Type and go to a C7, everyone was incredulous that I could dump such a classically beautiful car for what they considered to be a styling abomination.
Yes, you are correct, and they are both beautiful cars.. which is why it was just my opinion on the looks dept..

Either way, both are awesome cars and which ever you choose you can't go wrong.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

You're in luck, I owned both, but not a GS, Z51 in my case. I loved the F-Type, and you're right that it has the best exhaust note on the planet in my view. It's also a very well-built and reliable car.

1) It is a very heavy car, weighing about 500 lbs. more than the GS. That weight difference is very noticeable. Handling is far superior in the C7 Z51/GS, and given the weight difference the GS has virtually the same spec for straight-line acceleration, despite being down in power. The GS is way quicker around a race track because of vastly superior handling.

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.
Thanks Foosh. It's good to hear what an owner thinks. I definitely would get a RWD version. Much more "fun". It does seem like the overall consensus is it feels heavy. This is really good to know.

Originally Posted by davidtcpa

Although I did not on an R, I do have an F-Type.

I have to tell you that the Jag is VERY well made. Everything is tight and well planned out. I cannot comment on the speed because my Jag is a Supercharged 6 cylinder and my 2014 Z-51 is a Supercharged (albeit aftermarket) LT1. what I can comment on is the fun-factor and the handling. Personally, I love to drive the Vette WAY more than the Jag. Just handling alone. The Jag feels much heavier than the Vette. The power between the 2 I have is huge.

I know you won't want to hear it, but for price-point comparisons, I don't think the GS and the F-Type R are a fair price comparison. It is more closely priced with the Z06, and in performance there is NO comparison at that point. I am really surprised what you say about the insurance.
Thanks for the info David. Yea the insurance is SO much higher than either. It's pretty insane.

Hangman,

I think both cars are good looking both inside and out. I think the Jag might just barely grab the interior prize tho.

Thanks so much for the comments. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

both are good looking cars, the Jag has great performance, the interior is a bit more cramped in the Jag and if it matters to you, there is not much cargo space in the Jag, even less if you get the spare tire option.

My buddy's Jag.

Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by themonk
both are good looking cars, the Jag has great performance, the interior is a bit more cramped in the Jag and if it matters to you, there is not much cargo space in the Jag, even less if you get the spare tire option.

My buddy's Jag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l063_ulS6uk
Nice!. Yea I am a small guy so cramped space isnt a problem
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Sivtec
Good morning all,

I know I am posting this on a site where everyone will be one sided, but I really wanted to see if anyone has come from or went to the Jag. I am SO split on the two. I know most are going to say test drive both and see which one you like but again if there are any owners or post owners I would love to hear what they say.

GS Pro's:
Removable Top
Manual Transmission
I imagine its much cheaper to maintain for its lifetime

Jag Pro's:
UNIQUE (how many R badges do you see in a month, MAYBE 1)
More power
That exhaust note tho...

PS. I know there are going to be people that say go with the Z06 but I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.
If you want an auto, get the jag.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Agreed, the ZF8 trannie in the F-Type is superb with lightning fast shifts, and has been completely bullet-proof in the F-Type. However, I think he prefers manual, which is part of the dilemma that you can't have one in an F-Type R.

It's also THE reason, I sold my F-Type and bought a C7, because as good as the ZF8 auto is, I really missed having a manual.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Awd?

amazing i guess they couldn't come up with GM type excuses for no awd option.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

A lot of F-Type owners are now upset they can only get AWD on the R in the U.S. and Canada. In all other markets, the RWD F-Type R is still available.

I guess they figured Americans couldn't be trusted with the power without AWD . . . kidding. The actual reason was to improve US sales because demand is so great in the US for AWD cars. The AWD car is even heavier, making it even less desirable in my view.

I, for one, am delighted that Corvette stays true to the lightweight, sports car formula. It's not a sports car w/o RWD in my view.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 12:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Micster (12-15-2016), pdiddy972 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Agreed, the ZF8 trannie in the F-Type is superb with lightning fast shifts, and has been completely bullet-proof in the F-Type. However, I think he prefers manual, which is part of the dilemma that you can't have one in an F-Type R.

It's also THE reason, I sold my F-Type and bought a C7, because as good as the ZF8 auto is, I really missed having a manual.
Word.

A lot of F-Type owners are now upset they can only get AWD on the R in the U.S. and Canada. In all other markets, the RWD F-Type R is still available.

I guess they figured Americans couldn't be trusted with the power without AWD . . . kidding. The actual reason was to improve US sales because demand is so great in the US for AWD cars. The AWD car is even heavier, making it even less desirable in my view.

I, for one, am delighted that Corvette stays true to the lightweight, sports car formula. It's not a sports car w/o RWD in my view.
Word.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM
bradgto
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I also thought of the Jag before I bought the Z06.

Went to the dealer to look at them and they never came out to help me. Helped others that pulled in after me. (I was driving my 2000 F250)

That made my mind up that I would buy the Z06 instead.

Glad the dealer helped me make the choice!! lol
The following 2 users liked this post by bradgto:
Blvdbrawler (12-14-2016), Sivtec (12-14-2016)

Quick Reply: C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R