Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Blue04z06
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a base C7 with the magnetic suspension, when I put it in Track Mode I just get a sentence saying performance setting or something like that. I don't get the full suite of track mode options like you get with the Z51 or Z06. Will this system give me those options? Will they show up on the dash display?

Last edited by Blue04z06; 01-17-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No amount of forum words can change the mind of a skeptic. You have to do some research, make an informed decision, and then experience and evaluate it for yourself.

When the OP first posted, I was among the greatest of skeptics. After discussing it with the OP, reading all I could on the technology, talking w/ Mike and others, I felt it was likely to be an upgrade, but was unsure of how much. Now, after having it installed and driving about 100 miles today on all kinds of roads, I am blown away by what an improvement this is. I could tell the difference as soon as I left the DSC shop.

I am a scientist by training, am a born skeptic, and trained evaluator of things. I've purchased all kinds of technology that I've not been impressed with, so I'm not just smitten because I purchased it.

I have yet to hear anyone who has installed the DSC controller say anything negative or that it was anything less than transformative on the C7. The Porsche world is even more enthusiastic.

Yes, today was one of my top 10 car enthusiast days. I felt honored to have Mike's personal attention focused upon perfecting the suspension set-up on my car.
Foosh,

Great that you went to visit Mike and the boys at DSC Sport/TPC Racing. They're good people and real car nuts. Your observations/comments are exactly the same as mine. You need to head over to Summit Point with them when they go out to play/test.

As you, I was skeptical and wasn't expecting the hugh transformation realized with the controller. I thought I'd get an improvement but nothing like what is actually delivered. Within driving mine 2 minutes I realized the DSC controller was game changing. I still have a hard time putting into words just how much it improves the car.

Most people don't have an appreciation for the suspension and chassis setup knowledge Mike brings to the table. His passion is hard to capture in words and he's on a technical level and speaks a different language when he gets on a roll.

I hope forum members who are skeptical get a chance to drive or ride in a car equipped with the DSC controller. It will allow them the opportunity to appreciate how good the car can be. A couple of comments posted by skeptical folks that really are inaccurate include:

- GM engineers would have done it if there were gains to be had.

- There's no way an independent/aftermarket shop can improve upon what GM offers. They don't have the resources or knowledge that GM has available.

- People buying the controller aren't really getting any performance gains. They're justifying their purchase by a perceived seat-of-the-pants performance improvement.

I appreciate where these comments come from as there are many snake oil performance mods peddled on the forum.

Your critique supports the observation I made starting this thread that the DSC Sport controller is the real deal. A whole bunch of time and money has been invested developing the controller. Best mod available for MSRC cars and a bargin for what you get.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Rick,

Thank you for walking me through my initial skepticism and opening my eyes. I couldn't be happier w/ the transformation.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:39 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No apology necessary and directed at no one in particular.

I suppose if you have a strong personal preference, you could probably live with a single set-up (program), that would do well for all all situations. In fact, one of the cool things about the DSC controller is that the car "feels" better in all settings.

However, since the car is already set up with the mode dial and the OEM MSRC is programmed with different suspension settings, why wouldn't you utilize that capability for a variety of settings on the DSC controller?

I like the option of changing the settings on the fly depending upon how I'm using the car. If you like one set-up for all situations, you can just leave the mode dial in that position. In some sense, I think that's what Mike has done with his latest version of the Sport setting. That will probably become the favored mode for most users.

For example, I like a more comfortable setting for long-distance highway cruising, and the DSC Tour set-up is a much more comfortable version than the OEM. However, I wouldn't necessarily want to use that in more spirited driving.
I totally agree and like being able to switch on the fly as well. I was speaking mainly to the amazing capability of MR and DSC. One interesting thing Mike mentioned in one of the videos in which he was programming a Porsche is that he can have the wiper switch or rain sensor in the windshield trigger an instantaneous change to a wet track suspension setup.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Blue04z06
I have a base C7 with the magnetic suspension, when I put it in Track Mode I just get a sentence saying performance setting or something like that. I don't get the full suite of track mode options like you get with the Z51 or Z06. Will this system give me those options? Will they show up on the dash display?
Yes, it will enhance your car as well. You won't have all the PTM options in Track mode, but you'll still get most of the benefits.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-17-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Blue04z06
Intermediate

So just to be sure, before I drop $1300, the FE2 suspension on my car will work with this controller, but in track mode if I want to find different settings I will have to do it offline with maps or something like that?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, I believe that's right. The new controller is equipped w/ Wi-Fi, and appears on your smart phone when you go to the Bluetooth menu. Connect to it, and you're off and running. When Mike was fine-tuning mine, he did it with his smart phone.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:36 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Does this void your warranty and can dealers see you have it when they hook up to computer? Can it be returned to stock?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

See posts 9 and 10 above on the warranty question, but there's nothing to damage w/ the DSC Controller. It's simply communicating with the shocks the same way the OEM box does, but it's doing so in a more sophisticated way.

Yes, it's plug and play and OEM and DSC Controllers can be swapped back and forth in 15 minutes, but I don't see any reason to do that.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Probably missed it, but searched and haven't seen anything Specific.
What is the stock canned Controller Tune like and does it need to be modified if only being used for Street use.
Also is the alignment mostly for Track use or is it needed as part of the new Controller.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 PM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue04z06
So just to be sure, before I drop $1300, the FE2 suspension on my car will work with this controller, but in track mode if I want to find different settings I will have to do it offline with maps or something like that?
I was wondering the same thing. For some reason I was thinking they haven't released a controller for the base car with magride yet. Hopefully they have. Maybe DSC will chime in.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

All the DSC controllers are the same for the C7.

It's just a matter of the set-up. DSC hasn't done a specific set-up for the base C7 MSRC w/o the Z51 package because MSRC wasn't available in the base car until the '16 model. However, I'd be willing to bet you could plug in the Z51 package box to the base car and still see a massive improvement. It's certainly not going make it handle worse than the OEM controller. I seriously doubt GM did much, if anything, different between the two Stingray models w/ the OEM controller.

If the market is there, it will only be a short period of time before Mike would be willing to do a specific set-up for the base w/ MSRC, but it would probably only involve few tweaks here and there. If someone wanted to take a base C7 w/ MSRC to Mike's shop and have the controller installed, he'd probably drive and evaluate it, and make the necessary tweaks.

Originally Posted by Dif
Probably missed it, but searched and haven't seen anything Specific.
What is the stock canned Controller Tune like and does it need to be modified if only being used for Street use.
Also is the alignment mostly for Track use or is it needed as part of the new Controller.
As far as the controller is concerned, the default DSC Controller set-up is equally good on both street and track. It's just a matter of switching between modes with the OEM dial. Every mode in my car is better and more comfortable on the street because the DSC controller is using data from the sensors already there that the OEM controller was not effectively utilizing.

It's predictive and not just reactive. For example, if you're just cruising along and the sensors aren't picking up G-loads or heavy acceleration, the DSC controller automatically softens the shocks up. When you start getting sporty, it immediately starts stiffening things up, based upon what the sensors are telling it the car is doing on all 4 corners.

As far as alignment is concerned, Mike has a recommended set-up for street/occasional track, and track only. I had the former done. According to Mike, the factory doesn't even set the alignment, they just bolt on the components, and he said the settings are "all over the map."

Even though Mike made his reputation w/ Porsche in racing, he owns a C7 Z06 and is personally invested making the C7 better.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-17-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Dif (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

How much are they paying you for this ad?

Originally Posted by rikhek
I have a DSC Sport magnetic shock controller on my 17 C7Z. In my opinion it is the best modification available for cars with magnetic shocks including Z51 and GS cars.

It's game changing and truly transforms the cars performance. I have a hard time putting into words just how transformational the DSC Sport Controller is in EVERY driving situation. The handling gains during aggressive street driving and on the track are shocking. Hugh improvement over the OEM controller. Just truly amazing.

I was out in the country yesterday testing/playing on fun roads with the various modes and observed something "new" I found very interesting/useful just cruising down the highway. Traveling to the fun roads took about 1.5 hours each way on the highway. While cruising I killed the boredom by playing with ALL the shock setting modes.

I was astonished at how comfortable/compliant the ride was while cruising the highway in RACE/PTM WET mode. It was GREATLY better than non-PTM TOURING or non-PTM WEATHER settings. Amazingly good at smoothing out everything including small bumps and expansion joints.

I was surprised enough at the ride that I called DSC Sport from the car on my way home to discuss. They were at first surprised at my observation but then said it makes perfect sense. They said their calibrations in RACE/PTM WET are softer than other OEM settings which results in a much better highway ride. They had just never considered trying that setting on the highway.

Bottom line, my "new" go to setting for going up and down a highway is RACE/PTM WET. Very, very comfortable. Not good for aggressive performance driving but game changing for boring highway cruising.

Just wanted to share my observations. C7 owners with magnetic shocks owe it to them selves to get one of the controllers. It truly provides game changing performance improvements. Not "slight" improvements you "think" you can feel but HUGH, real world performance improvements.

FWIW, I'm not affiliated with DSC Sport but am a very satisfied customer.

Rick
Old 01-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Nothing. Neither of us have any affiliation w/ DSC Sport and both of us only recently became aware that it was even available for the C7. I only became aware of it a couple of weeks ago in this thread.

I'm only "wasting" my time here because I'd like to see others have the pleasure of seeing how good the car can actually be.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-17-2017 at 11:58 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
DSC Sport (01-19-2017), Is2scooby (03-14-2017), Smitty@ridetech (01-18-2017), the solution (02-26-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Blue04z06
Intermediate

So it seems like the data collected by the DSC cab be downloaded. Is there any sort of visual software (like the PDR) to work with the data, or is it just looking at raw numbers in excel or something?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Go to the DSC website and look at the tutorial.

Better yet, see the quote below from the Z06 tech section and all study all the links therein. If you really want to understand this, you're gonna have to put in a little time yourself.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Dif (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

All the DSC controllers are the same for the C7.

As far as the controller is concerned, the default DSC Controller set-up is equally good on both street and track. It's just a matter of switching between modes with the OEM dial. Every mode in my car is better and more comfortable on the street because the DSC controller is using data from the sensors already there that the OEM controller was not effectively utilizing.

It's predictive and not just reactive. For example, if you're just cruising along and the sensors aren't picking up G-loads or heavy acceleration, the DSC controller automatically softens the shocks up. When you start getting sporty, it immediately starts stiffening things up, based upon what the sensors are telling it the car is doing on all 4 corners.

As far as alignment is concerned, Mike has a recommended set-up for street/occasional track, and track only. I had the former done. According to Mike, the factory doesn't even set the alignment, they just bolt on the components, and he said the settings are "all over the map."

Even though Mike made his reputation w/ Porsche in racing, he owns a C7 Z06 and is personally invested making the C7 better.
Many Thanks Foosh
Had MRC on my C6 and now MSRC on the C7 w/ Z51.
Considering what the Z51 suspension is like, I was surprised the OEM Controller ride/handling in Tour is pretty good.
But, seemed to me GM has each Mode limited within a small upper and lower scale in regards to Shock softness/stiffness and movement/response.
I can imagine the improvement with the DSC Controller
Foosh (01-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 01-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Blue04z06
Intermediate

Would be nice if the data could be tagged to geo-locations
Old 01-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

I've been following this thread and the related alignment threads closely.

I am going to make an appointment soon to drive up to the shop and have a full alignment done and the DSC installed; hopefully they can do that in a day.

As a track addict, I'm looking forward to this year's track events at VIR with the new setup!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:41 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
How much are they paying you for this ad?
Generous to take time out of your busy day to make such a positive contribution to the discussion. Selfless contibutors like yourself are what make this forum great. Your effort is recognized and appreciated!
Is2scooby (03-14-2017)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations