Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,152 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Travel Stops are at the bottom of the Velocity tab in the new firmware. I tried using it (still am using it) to send the shocks to full stiff at a predefined travel amount to help with rubbing.

I don't know what the Trig field is and I think it may improve the experience with Travel Stops if I did.
I think you also need the latest Tuner software (I have 1.6.7) to see the Travel Stop section.

I was thinking the Stop field was where you tell the system how far from zero the physical bump stop is. Zero is established when you zero the travel in the Settings tab. The Trig field would be where you enter what distance from zero you want the different shock stiffness to start. The current field is where you enter the current to establish the shock stiffness. The distance between Trig and Stop would then have the different shock stiffness. But I'm just guessing.

Does anyone know the total shock travel for a Z51?

Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-13-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:23 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I think you also need the latest Tuner software (I have 1.6.7) to see the Travel Stop section.

I was thinking the Stop field was where you tell the system how far from zero the physical bump stop is. Zero is established when you zero the travel in the Settings tab. The Trig field would be where you enter what distance from zero you want the different shock stiffness to start. The current field is where you enter the current to establish the shock stiffness. The distance between Trig and Stop would then have the different shock stiffness. But I'm just guessing.

Does anyone know the total shock travel for a Z51?
Ok, I feel like I'm playing catch up here. Thanks to the discussion this morning I now know about and downloaded the latest Tuner Software. I see the Trig Fields but more importantly right now why did the Table tabs change? What was TOUR, SPORT and TRACK now read different, see pict. Now reads Chassis Normal, Chassis Sport and Driveline? Am I missing something else here?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:26 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^
Check the vehicle selected. That looks like my software prior to me setting it to C7 Corvette.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
^^^
Check the vehicle selected. That looks like my software prior to me setting it to C7 Corvette.
Thanks, that fixed it. Ya know if you don't track this site daily you forget things or more importantly you miss something!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

for what it is worth, I was just like many on here....big price tag, the biggest I would have ever spent. After reaching out to my local dealer to get the OEM update ...they are as lost as all the other dealers and was not offering the upgrade.....that was the last straw for me, grabbed one of these, put it on a card (no interest) so I can pay it down with no cash outlay. I just received it but have not installed as i am traveling but drooling to get going . At the end of the day i will sell or reinstall in my next one .....got to get me some of this !!
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a couple questions. I plan on getting this controller shortly (waiting on my Z to get shipped). I assume that if you go this route the GM upgrade is no longer relevant?
Also I am not a computer guy at all, and while I find this conversation fascinating, most of it is way over my head.
My question is this, if I buy one in near future I assume it will come with the most up to date software version? Additionally is this just plug in and go? I don't want to do any adjusting myself, I know DSC is way smarter than me, so I don't want to mess with it all. I just want to reap the benefits of DSC's hard work !!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo
...I assume that if you go this route the GM upgrade is no longer relevant?
Correct!! You remove the OE controller and install the DSC controller, so the OE one is completely out of the picture. Store the OE one in your garage so you can reinstall it when you sell/trade the car.

Also I am not a computer guy at all, and while I find this conversation fascinating, most of it is way over my head.
My question is this, if I buy one in near future I assume it will come with the most up to date software version? Additionally is this just plug in and go? I don't want to do any adjusting myself, I know DSC is way smarter than me, so I don't want to mess with it all. I just want to reap the benefits of DSC's hard work !!
It will come plug-n-play. However, upgraded calibration files have been put out by DSC, and occasionally updated firmware has been released. Your controller will come with the latest stuff programmed into it, but in the future if upgraded software files come out and you want to upgrade your unit, you'll need to be able to follow simple instructions in order to load the new stuff.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

To add to the above post, any future DSC calibration updates/enhancements will be free unlike OEM.
Gonzo (01-16-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:30 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I haven't been on the track since the beginning of Dec, and for that event and all last fall I was running the firmware that preceded the current version, and a pdts calibration file that Mike developed at VIR last year.

Yesterday I finally got around to updating to the latest firmware and pdts file for my 2016 Z06, and then zeroing the ride height.

After loading I checked and had the correct firmware version. I then checked the Tuner software version. On the DSC site, and when you download it, it is called "DSC 1.6.7 Tuner.exe", so I figured it's version 1.6.7.

However, every time I've opened it and checked the version by clicking on "Help" and then "About DSC Tuner..." it says it's version 1.6.0, as you can see below. It looks like something is wrong, but I have this downloaded on two different laptops and it's the same on both, so I don't think anything is the matter with the Tuner software I downloaded.

But, if anybody else can verify that's what your Tuner software says also I'd appreciate it!! TIA

Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

^ BEZ06
I also re-downloaded the Tuning Software a few weeks ago thinking 1.6.7 was an updated Tuning Software.
And I can confirm mine also shows 1.6.0 after checking the version on my laptop.
But like you said, I think it's all good
Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

I downloaded it recently also. When I checked properties I see two different results.

and then this......
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks very much guys!!

Even though it appears to have a discrepancy in there, it looks like we've got the latest Tuner software!!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:11 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Thanks very much guys!!

Even though it appears to have a discrepancy in there, it looks like we've got the latest Tuner software!!

look at help and tell me the version the latest is 1.6.7 it may not be up yet not much effects the C7 since 1.6.5
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
look at help and tell me the version the latest is 1.6.7 it may not be up yet not much effects the C7 since 1.6.5
As mentioned in post# 1459, 1450, and 1451, the three of us in those posts mentioned that even though the downloaded Tuner software is titled "DSC 1.6.7 Tuner.exe", when we click on that application to open it, when all three of us have checked the "Help" and "About DSC Tuner..." it says that it's version 1.6.0 from 06 Sep 2017.

You can also see in post# 1451 that when you check the properties of the Tuner.exe application under the "General" tab it shows that the name of the application is "DSC 1.6.7 Tuner.exe", but when you go to the "Details" tab it shows "Product version 1.6.0.0".

So....I guess even though the "Product version" isn't the same as the actual name of the application (DSC 1.6.7 Tuner.exe), if we have that one with the 1.6.7 in the name of the app then we have the latest version.

Thanks DSC for a great product!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:30 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

That version number in the help and in the file properties is set in the compiler at compile time (looks like Microsoft Visual Studio). Mike will need to have his developer change that field in the project properties and recompile to get them to match. The actual file name anyone can change.

Don't worry though, if you have the travel stops section then you have the latest software at the moment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
BEZ06 (01-16-2018), Dif (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
To add to the above post, any future DSC calibration updates/enhancements will wbe free unlike OEM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
...Don't worry though, if you have the travel stops section then you have the latest software at the moment.
Thanks - that's what I figured!!

I have the Travel Stops, but they're not configured with any values in there. Here's the Tuner software showing the Velocity page with the Travel Stops at the bottom, and it's loaded with the latest file put out by Mike (12-18-17C7-Z06V3.pdts calibration file), but nothing in those Travel Stops fields.

What exactly can we do with the Travel Stop feature???

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Thanks - that's what I figured!!

I have the Travel Stops, but they're not configured with any values in there. Here's the Tuner software showing the Velocity page with the Travel Stops at the bottom, and it's loaded with the latest file put out by Mike (12-18-17C7-Z06V3.pdts calibration file), but nothing in those Travel Stops fields.

What exactly can we do with the Travel Stop feature???

we can stop travel with the Travel Stop feature. If you aren't rubbing tires then you don't need to worry about this. they don't come populated.
BEZ06 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
we can stop travel with the Travel Stop feature. If you aren't rubbing tires then you don't need to worry about this. they don't come populated.
Aha - that makes sense!!!

I guess it was Mike that mentioned "bump stops" in a previous post, so I guess that's what he was talking about - stop the movement of the damper with the Travel Stop feature.

Thanks for that clarification.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

It is a great tool but we need more instructions on the use of each feature. I have downloaded the manual into a MS Word document and update my copy in the right hand margin (new column) whenever I learn a new trick or tip. I just don't have the time or location to go out and try the various features at different settings, my fear would be that I get it too out of balance and cause an accident. So the more info spread here the better.

We need explanations on the following:
The difference between Compression and Droop?

What is STOP? I assume this is the limit of travel for the shock and is set based on need?

What is TRIG? I assume this is the trigger or start point to start affecting the stiffness of the shock?

What is CURRENT (mA)? How is it used? I assume this is the amount of current that starts to affect the shock when the sensor is triggered?

Mike (DSC) and team, you have provided a great tool and we become your sales staff, especially after you provide each update or adjustment free of charge. Keep the info and updates coming, there is a lot of us watching and learning even if we don't post daily.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations