DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default 2018

Originally Posted by DSCsport
We thought we would share a recent DSCSport install.
https://youtu.be/oGBTrzz0Bm4

I think his initial response to the controller says it all
I wish i could experience the same :-0

Let us know when PTM and 2018 is fixed.......?

tia

Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
IF we have a copy couldn't it be shared? Too bad DSC didn't maintain that archive folder they had up for a while.
Here ya go. Touring plush file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
c7_mrc_touring-plush.zip (1.2 KB, 11 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by badhabit_wb:
DSCsport (07-11-2018), kensredvette2 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Ammo,
Also check post numbers 1558 and 1572 in this thread - there is some info about the way the numbers in the recipe work, and another decent version of a plush file.

Since my 1558 post, I have been adjusting the rear damper table values. There is some rear end 'float' justifiably reported using the stock DSC plush file.
The DSC file is a great starting point, but seems to have that 'float' issue for the rear.
I suggest starting at the 1-1-1-1 in the first 4 places in the damper table for the front. (Same as that DSC plush file - no change needed for the front cal table values)
Then change the first four values for the rear damper cal table to 25-25-25-25, leaving the others the same to get rid of that 'float' issue.

Maybe you'll need those first four values for the rear slightly higher or lower depending on your particular rear damper characteristics. (Z51 vs base; normal slight manufacturing tolerances, etc.) Likely values between 15 and 30 will be within the range you will need.)
Also, it may be worth mentioning that the dampers never go 'full loose' - there is always some damping even if they were disconnected from the system. But it seems that the rear dampers get looser than the front when the damper cal table is set to low values such as 1.

Good luck tuning - You won't have to do much messing around if you don't want to, just a very few numbers. (Four new numbers will do - just the 25-25-25-25; then more if your whim and preferences lead you to do more changes.) And with that, even the GM MRC update can't compare to the ability to 'smooth out' the ride' yet add substantial control when pushed hard.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by kensredvette2
Ammo,
Also check post numbers 1558 and 1572 in this thread - there is some info about the way the numbers in the recipe work, and another decent version of a plush file.

Since my 1558 post, I have been adjusting the rear damper table values. There is some rear end 'float' justifiably reported using the stock DSC plush file.
The DSC file is a great starting point, but seems to have that 'float' issue for the rear.
I suggest starting at the 1-1-1-1 in the first 4 places in the damper table for the front. (Same as that DSC plush file - no change needed for the front cal table values)
Then change the first four values for the rear damper cal table to 25-25-25-25, leaving the others the same to get rid of that 'float' issue.

Maybe you'll need those first four values for the rear slightly higher or lower depending on your particular rear damper characteristics. (Z51 vs base; normal slight manufacturing tolerances, etc.) Likely values between 15 and 30 will be within the range you will need.)
Also, it may be worth mentioning that the dampers never go 'full loose' - there is always some damping even if they were disconnected from the system. But it seems that the rear dampers get looser than the front when the damper cal table is set to low values such as 1.

Good luck tuning - You won't have to do much messing around if you don't want to, just a very few numbers. (Four new numbers will do - just the 25-25-25-25; then more if your whim and preferences lead you to do more changes.) And with that, even the GM MRC update can't compare to the ability to 'smooth out' the ride' yet add substantial control when pushed hard.

BAD & KEN,

Thanks but I may have misled you into thinking I was looking for this file, I’m not. I was simply suggesting that it could be shared if anyone still had a copy. I have a Z51 and am perfectly happy with the files they put out for the stingray. I have played around with a few settings but always return to the Z51 file. So far.......

I would like like to set up my TRACK settings to the best settings available for autocross. I don’t ever plan to do any round track high speed stuff but love autocross. If anyone has any suggestions for a specific settings for autocross in a Z51 please share the settings.

There must be something we can do to get to optimized settings quickly from the start without waiting for the DSC to recognize a hard turn or hard brake or even a shift of the weight. If I could set TRACK settings up optimized for this type of drive in advance it would be great. Any suggestions, my next autocross is Saturday!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Ammo,
Sorry for the misunderstanding..
However, finding that 25-25-25-25 for the plush settings took a number of test drives and did help a lot with the overall feel. Good to share that.

One suggestion for your concern is to make that 'comfort zone' as small as possible so as to essentially disappear in track mode.. Meaning that the controller never has to recognize that ' wow,, he punched the throttle so lets go high perf!'

Settings for making the comfort zone (Settings at the bottom of the Gforce table) very small in track mode, so the controller is essentially always in performance mode -----
Sensitivity - stock is around 15-20 or so,, lower will exit comfort zone sooner - perhaps only 5?
Gforce - stock is 25-30 - so maybe reduce to 5-10? Meaning any acceleration more than .05 to .1G will exit comfort zone.
Percent while in comfort zone - stock can be from 1 to 10; you can up this to around 15-30, so even in comfort zone the dampers are energized at the higher current values in the damper cal table that would be encountered in performance situations.
With those changes, the slightest turn or twitch of the throttle will transition to 'performance' mode.

You have a good point. When the Gforces on the car are within that comfort zone defined with those parameters, the current to the dampers can be quite low - only around 1 to 100ma depending on the damper cal file settings. However, without those exception settings from the Gforce table being active, damper currents are in the 300 to 1100 ma range.

I haven't tried such settings, but they go the direction you are thinking. However, keep in mind that the transition out of the comfort zone is a few milliseconds once braking, turning, etc is detected. You may not find much difference with such a small comfort zone, except for a harsher ride back from the autocross.
Dif (07-11-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 AM
amuseti
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the latest replacement last week after my previous v3 had the dreaded "service suspension" on the dash replacement. I installed the new version yesterday, and after few hundred miles the "service suspension" message come on once when i switched to ptm for 2 seconds and went away. Anyone with the latest batch still having issues? This is getting very annoying
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Mpgslol
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amuseti
I got the latest replacement last week after my previous v3 had the dreaded "service suspension" on the dash replacement. I installed the new version yesterday, and after few hundred miles the "service suspension" message come on once when i switched to ptm for 2 seconds and went away. Anyone with the latest batch still having issues? This is getting very annoying
After months of waiting I finally got mine too. Took it 170 miles right to the track a day later and flogged on the car all day and another 170 miles back with no issues whatsoever. However, I need to learn how to adjust this thing. Even in track mode its way too soft out of the box.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I wonder about the comments regarding the DSC being "too soft out of the box" and disagree with them. There's nothing wrong with a soft comfortable ride when conditions call for it. What the DSC does best is adapt to what the car is doing. It is soft when that's appropriate and appropriately stiff when doing things such as hard cornering.

My theory is that many performance enthusiasts mistakenly perceive any "softness" as not appropriate in a high performance car designed for handling. That's old-school thinking. The DSC requires rethinking antiquated notions of what a great performance suspension should feel like and what new technology can do to improve vehicle performance and comfort at the same time.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-17-2018 at 10:51 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Foosh:
badhabit_wb (07-17-2018), blkvet6 (07-29-2018), Checkmate1 (07-17-2018), joemessman (07-17-2018), RoketRdr (08-20-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Mpgslol
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foosh
I wonder about the comments regarding the DSC being "too soft out of the box" and disagree with them. There's nothing wrong with a soft comfortable ride when conditions call for it. What the DSC does best is adapt to what the car is doing. It is soft when that's appropriate and appropriately stiff when doing things such as hard cornering.

My theory is that many performance enthusiasts mistakenly perceive any "softness" as not appropriate in a high performance car designed for handling. That's old-school thinking. The DSC requires rethinking antiquated notions of what a great performance suspension should feel like and what new technology can do to improve vehicle performance.
By soft I mean, when tracking under hard cornering loads I am rubbing inside front wheel wells with DSC's recommended track alignment specs on OEM wheels with OEM tire sizes. My local track is NYST and I pull up to 1.7G's at a few Corners and am eating up my front tire inside sidewalls. This is in track PTM Race Mode on a z51.
Foosh (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:07 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpgslol

By soft I mean, when tracking under hard cornering loads I am rubbing inside front wheel wells with DSC's recommended track alignment specs on OEM wheels with OEM tire sizes. My local track is NYST and I pull up to 1.7G's at a few Corners and am eating up my front tire inside sidewalls. This is in track PTM Race Mode on a z51.
make sure you have the 12-17-17 firmware or later and use the 1.8.3 user interface or tuning software vehicle type c7 then in tools read all name the file go into velocity and either email me directly the file or fill in the bump stop values its big and it works big time . Have you lowered the car? this is why its there Im willing to give out a map but you have to make sure you level the car and in settings with the key on before plugging in laptop zero ride ht then go into data and verify its totally dependent on this
Old 07-17-2018, 03:10 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by amuseti
no there are almost 100 new boards out there no issues in testing on my car and many others let me know asap make sure that you have no bent pins and that you let the latch mechanism pull the connector together with the four drive dogs its very important it will pull nice and even do not help it go together the dogs have to do the work
Old 07-17-2018, 04:34 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh

My theory is that many performance enthusiasts mistakenly perceive any "softness" as not appropriate in a high performance car designed for handling. That's old-school thinking. The DSC requires rethinking antiquated notions of what a great performance suspension should feel like and what new technology can do to improve vehicle performance and comfort at the same time.
I agree. When I first took my car to VIR with the new controller I thought it was too loose, especially at high speed. I made adjustments and firmed up the ride and liked it better that way. Last month I reloaded the 12-17-17 firmware because I heard there had been a change. I went back and put in the standard file for the tractive shocks rather than the modified one. I actually like it better now. The ride is better and I haven't bottomed out or had any problems with tires scrubbing inside the fenderwells. I haven't lowered the car though so that might be why. I did have to replace the liners in the rear because they had holes wearing in them but I think it was from track debris rather than tire scrub. Every time I drive the car I have a little more confidence in it. The combination of the DSC module/shocks and the AP racing kits have transformed the car.
Foosh (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 PM
Mpgslol
Advanced

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
make sure you have the 12-17-17 firmware or later and use the 1.8.3 user interface or tuning software vehicle type c7 then in tools read all name the file go into velocity and either email me directly the file or fill in the bump stop values its big and it works big time . Have you lowered the car? this is why its there Im willing to give out a map but you have to make sure you level the car and in settings with the key on before plugging in laptop zero ride ht then go into data and verify its totally dependent on this
For what it is worth I am at stock ride height. The only thing aftermarket is the RE71r's and the pfadt sway bars. However, I'm going to plug the computer in tomorrow or the next day and follow your instructions. I will report back what comes of it.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:18 AM
amuseti
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

no there are almost 100 new boards out there no issues in testing on my car and many others let me know asap make sure that you have no bent pins and that you let the latch mechanism pull the connector together with the four drive dogs its very important it will pull nice and even do not help it go together the dogs have to do the work
hi Mike,

yes, lubed, white connector flush, no bent pins, didnt force it in, but the pull is tighter than OEM. Put OEM in again and zero errors. On 17GS eith FE7 if that makes a difference? I really want this to work as it's my track car and was hoping to like it and eventually get the TT setup from you guys, but this has been an exercise in frustration for me. I've gotten the whole swapping procedure down to 10min total from the endless swapping. Sigh..
Old 07-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I agree. When I first took my car to VIR with the new controller I thought it was too loose, especially at high speed. I made adjustments and firmed up the ride and liked it better that way. Last month I reloaded the 12-17-17 firmware because I heard there had been a change. I went back and put in the standard file for the tractive shocks rather than the modified one. I actually like it better now. The ride is better and I haven't bottomed out or had any problems with tires scrubbing inside the fenderwells. I haven't lowered the car though so that might be why. I did have to replace the liners in the rear because they had holes wearing in them but I think it was from track debris rather than tire scrub. Every time I drive the car I have a little more confidence in it. The combination of the DSC module/shocks and the AP racing kits have transformed the car.
What is the simplest way to firm up the track ride. I feel it is a little soft as well. Thanks for any help. PM me if you want. TIA
Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Mick it's been a while since I did it but I went into the speed section and increased the numbers in the speed range that felt too soft. If I remember it was from 110 up. It firmed it up a bunch. I'd also increased the setting in the g-table as well. I'm running tractive shocks and the 12-25-17 v3 file now just like it came from DSC. It's softer but I think it's better than what I had modded. The car was making me a little nervous because it felt loose but once I got used to it I think it's actually planted better.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mick14
What is the simplest way to firm up the track ride. I feel it is a little soft as well. Thanks for any help. PM me if you want. TIA
There are two ways to go up in shock valving use ptm in track add 10-20% both frt and rear or tune the balance that is why I created the ptm bias
Second and my preferred final tune because of the progressive nature is in the shock Cal if the current setting is 100-1100 go 100-1300 that's a big change overall
Have fun let us know how your doing

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Mick it's been a while since I did it but I went into the speed section and increased the numbers in the speed range that felt too soft. If I remember it was from 110 up. It firmed it up a bunch. I'd also increased the setting in the g-table as well. I'm running tractive shocks and the 12-25-17 v3 file now just like it came from DSC. It's softer but I think it's better than what I had modded. The car was making me a little nervous because it felt loose but once I got used to it I think it's actually planted better.
The speed table is 60 up . See my last entry for ptm and shock Cal tuning as being a global . But if the car is floaty or nervous measure your rear caster make sure you went the right way the upper ball joint needs to be behind the lower . Look at toe ssetting as well
Let me know how you do I'm at the track today helping on the zr1
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

The speed table is 60 up . See my last entry for ptm and shock Cal tuning as being a global . But if the car is floaty or nervous measure your rear caster make sure you went the right way the upper ball joint needs to be behind the lower . Look at toe ssetting as well
Let me know how you do I'm at the track today helping on the zr1
Mike I think the problem I was having was with the driver mod. I took a 30 year break from the track and it was all a bit overwhelming. Once I got used to the car and how it handled the soft ride hasn't bothered me, I know now that it doesn't have to ride like a go cart to handle well. Passing the paddock at VIR in the 140's was making me nervous. Once I got used to the speed it felt fine.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
I wish i could experience the same :-0

Let us know when PTM and 2018 is fixed.......?

tia
Your Wish is Our Command!

Almost wrapped up for a firmware update for all the 2018+ vehicles. There was a change made by GM in the data from 2017 which is what the hold up was. We are very close to completion and will release it on the newsletter if you have subscribed!

Thank you for the patience and faith in DSC Sport!

Cheers!

DSC Sport Jeremy

Last edited by DSC Sport; 07-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
Dif (07-21-2018), Foosh (07-20-2018)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations