Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't think it will address the problem you're talking about, and your suggested changes just move it closer to Sport mode. There is no sensor that's going to predict dips and rises in straight-line cruising. So if you do increase minimum firmess, you will sacrifice some ride quality in gentle cruising. Current Tour mode already stiffens up when corner carving because G sensors feed the appropriate inputs to the DSC.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-25-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:58 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Well yes it would. High velocity vs low velocity compression and rebound. Our issues are big dips. Doesnt the shock stiffen up the more compressed it is? Doesn't feel like it. It just compresses until it bottoms out in my case. Or enough to put a crunch in your stomach.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-25-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think we're talking at cross purposes. Yes, it would address the float in straight-line cruising in Tour, but it would turn it more into Sport mode. Why not just turn the ****? I'd rather preserve the versatility.

I know what the issue is, I've felt the same thing in Tour. When I encounter that I just turn the **** to Sport, but I'd rather keep Tour as it is for smooth roads. I don't particularly want a Sport 1 and Sport 2 mode, as I like the current choice.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-25-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think we're talking at cross purposes. Yes, it would address the float in straight-line cruising in Tour, but it would turn it more into Sport mode. Why not just turn the ****? I'd rather preserve the versatility.

I know what the issue is, I've felt the same thing in Tour. When I encounter that I just turn the **** to Sport, but I'd rather keep Tour as it is for smooth roads. I don't particularly want a Sport 1 and Sport 2 mode, as I like the current choice.
happens in sport too, still not stable enough... you probably got used to it by now. Hell my numbers started at 150mA and I had it set to 10% minimum. So that's like 250 mA. And still felt odd.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-25-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Nope, don't have it in Sport . . . feels perfect.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-25-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:52 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope, don't have it in Sport . . . feels perfect.
I somewhat got used to it until I removed the controller. Yes small bumps are definitely tougher. But big dips feel amazing in comparison.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

When did you remove it? Were you running the latest versions of the DSC default calibrations?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,152 Likes on 3,380 Posts

I don't think the controller is using both velocity and absolute position interactively (at least it doesn't feel like it). If it did I think you would be able to stop the bottoming out without sacrificing ride quality in Tour.
An algorithm (or lookup table) could be used to compare shock velocity and position. If the combined value is under a certain threshold then the controller changes nothing. However, if the controller predicts that the suspension limits are going to be exceeded then it could intervene to increase the damping to prevent bottoming out. If you really wanted to be fancy about it you could use the vertical axis accelerometer data (I believe the car has this but I'm not sure) but this would likely be a whole another level of complexity.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, your last sentence is certainly true. I don't think the current device has that capability. Moreover, the work-around is so damned easy. Turn the ****!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I have experienced float and bottoming in tour with the DSC as well. (Rather annoying) In my case, the rear dampers had to have different (slightly higher) values in the lower damper cal table range. Out of the box tour cal table starts at 1 for front and rear and goes to 1000ma. The bottoming and float was significantly subdued when starting at about 30 for the rear dampers. It should be sufficient to change just the 2 boxes at 1% for the rear dampers to a value of 30 instead of 1. (one box for right rear, and one box for left rear.). The next higher box is already in the 30 area.
Those running the 'plush' profile have low values in the first 2 or 3 of the lower percent columns of the damper cal table, and again rear damper cal table values at the low percent range (IMO) should not be less than about 30. The fronts with a setting of 1 are firm enough to avoid float.
The sport profile starts at 100ma and goes to 1100ma. That seems to mostly cure float and bottoming. Track has the same damper cal profile as sport, but kicks in the higher damper current sooner with Gforces or braking, etc.
I have never had the impression that the front was underdamped. However, depending on taste/roads, the low percent cal table values for the rear dampers may need to be more than 30ma. Even a minimum of 50 to 100ma in the lowest rear damper cal table boxes might be of value to try if you perceive float or bottoming persist.
Adjustability has its merits and drawbacks. I really like the plush profile on smooth roads - very much. But behavior in the dips is then undesirable.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:42 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Turning the **** only works if you know you are going to need it. I keep it in Tour when cruising around with the wife on bad roads. All of a sudden I get surprised with a dip in the road.
There a some dips and rises on the roads I frequent. Sometimes the Corvette will bottom out over these. However, my wife's Hyundai Azera (which has notoriously soft suspension) doesn't bottom out at the same speed. This also leads me to believe that some tweaking could be made to the DSC settings that would allow for a comfortable ride in Tour without bottoming out.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If you like the Sport suspension setting and want that for Tour you can just write the Sport tune to Tour mode using the DSC Tuner. See how this tab is configured to view/edit Sport but write to Tour? Just click Write to DSC when connected to the car to overwrite the Tour settings with Sport. Then read everything back to make sure they are the same. Don't forget to save the config you had in there first.

Dif (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

When did you remove it? Were you running the latest versions of the DSC default calibrations?
I was using the December 2017 version I think but with about 100 mA added to every box. And a week ago.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:20 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

I like the Tour mode for driving around in traffic, cruising the back roads with the wife, driving on bad roads, etc. This is where I have it set most of the time when I'm stuck behind traffic without opportunity to pass or on the freeway.
I like Sport mode for spirited driving when the conditions allow.
I like experimenting with the Track modes but the conditions need to be right.

I can life with the floatiness of tour mode I just don't like the bottoming out or porpoising.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

We all agree you can turn the **** to sport and stiffen up the suspension when it is anticipated. However, in my case coming down out of the mountain at speed and hitting a large undulating dip is frightening in tour mode. The car doesn’t react fast enough to prevent the heave or bottoming out experienced. Since loading the z51 file it has improved but only marginally. I need to make some of the changes recommended here recently to see if that improves the ride. Thanks to all for the continued discussions on this phenomenon.
kensredvette2 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Z51Fan
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Turning the **** only works if you know you are going to need it. I keep it in Tour when cruising around with the wife on bad roads. All of a sudden I get surprised with a dip in the road.
There a some dips and rises on the roads I frequent. Sometimes the Corvette will bottom out over these. However, my wife's Hyundai Azera (which has notoriously soft suspension) doesn't bottom out at the same speed. This also leads me to believe that some tweaking could be made to the DSC settings that would allow for a comfortable ride in Tour without bottoming out.
I believe most of the problems with the controller being too soft are due to confusion with the way the comfort patch works. Once you have the settings figured out, all of your ideas can become confusing while the controller is operating in the comfort patch. Have you tried raising the default rate on the first tab for Gforce? I have been tweaking my settings for a year now and once I figured out all of the parameters, I believe the DSC controller is an awesome upgrade. I have a '17 Z06 and I use a default rate of 4 in tour, 10 in sport and 25 in track but these are my preferences for the way I use each mode.

Last edited by Z51Fan; 09-25-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z51Fan
I believe most of the problems with the controller being too soft are due to confusion with the way the comfort patch works. Once you have the settings figured out, all of your ideas can become confusing while the controller is operating in the comfort patch. Have you tried raising the default rate on the first tab for Gforce? I have been tweaking my settings for a year now and once I figured out all of the parameters, I believe the DSC controller is an awesome upgrade. I have a '17 Z06 and I use a default rate of 4 in tour, 10 in sport and 25 in track but these are my preferences for the way I use each mode.
yeah a z06 is completely different as the stock controller was designed for it. Apples to oranges with the z51

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 09-25-2018, 07:52 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ammo
We all agree you can turn the **** to sport and stiffen up the suspension when it is anticipated. However, in my case coming down out of the mountain at speed and hitting a large undulating dip is frightening in tour mode. The car doesn’t react fast enough to prevent the heave or bottoming out experienced. Since loading the z51 file it has improved but only marginally. I need to make some of the changes recommended here recently to see if that improves the ride. Thanks to all for the continued discussions on this phenomenon.
yes. This downright frightening experience of hitting a bump at 100ish is what put me over the edge.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Z51Fan
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
yeah a z06 is completely different as the stock controller was designed for it. Apples to oranges with the z51
Sorry, didn't notice he had a Z51. I still think the parameters can be tweaked for a Z51. Heck, it is simple to raise the default rate in tour where it will rattle your teeth out. I do believe the stock settings in tour are too soft for my taste but others might think they are fine. It depends on how you drive in each mode.

Last edited by Z51Fan; 09-25-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

I'd be happy to loan Mike my Z51. I'm only 40 miles away from TPC Racing/DSC Sport.
Foosh
I think this is a great idea. Find some roads around DSC with dips and rises. It'd be even more fun if you get to ride along with him. Then maybe he could come up with settings optimized for a Z51.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations