Sponsored by:

Weird noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Weird noise from engine

I have had my C7 almost three years now. Today, I got home from work and pulled the car in the garage. I turned the engine off and went inside the house for about an hour and decided to go outside and wash the car. As I walked near the car with the engine off, I started to hear this electronic chirping noise coming from the engine compartment. I opened the hood and the noise was coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment, but I could not determine specifically from what. It sort of sounded like it was around the alternator area, but did not appear to be coming from the alternator. I pulled the car out of the garage and turned the engine off, but the noise continued. The noise was a couple seconds apart and lasted about 20 seconds, than the noise was not as consistent and eventually went away.

The noise sounded as if something was powered and it was discharging its energy.

Has anyone had this happen before? Could the battery be going? I know the car does funny things when the battery is at the end of its life.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 12:58 AM
2DLIMIT
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I have heard a faint electronic wining sound (on two occasions, after the vehicle was parked and locked after a drive) coming from a location between the rear wheels (or slightly forward) perhaps the transmission, and when I tried to start the next morning the battery was depleted (dead).

After 5000km it has not reoccurred.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pelicans
I have heard a faint electronic wining sound (on two occasions, after the vehicle was parked and locked after a drive) coming from a location between the rear wheels (or slightly forward) perhaps the transmission, and when I tried to start the next morning the battery was depleted (dead).

After 5000km it has not reoccurred.
Thanks for the response. This definitely came from the engine compartment. Thankfully, it has only happened once and today, the car seems fine (knock on wood!). What does concern me is this noise lasted a long time and it was repetitive.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 PM
redrider28075
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
Thanks for the response. This definitely came from the engine compartment. Thankfully, it has only happened once and today, the car seems fine (knock on wood!). What does concern me is this noise lasted a long time and it was repetitive.
I too have heard that same noise. I thought it may be the throttle plate motor. not sure though . Mine is a 2015 Z51 with about 21 thousand miles.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:10 AM
2DLIMIT
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is a 2016 3LT Z51 with 5,500km or 3,417mi.

The faint noise sounded like it was generated by small electric motor (like one of the motors that makes the seat adjustments).

I have the "Memory Seat" option, and initially had trouble with it working properly. I read another forum topic about this dilemma, and found that the drivers seat was set too far to the rear (the track limit) and that moving the set point forward about 3/4" got everything working as it should.

Possibly a seat motor trying to make an impossible limit drained the battery.

I should note that the Memory seats were set up to return to a rear and high position when the corvette was turned off.

Last edited by 2DLIMIT; 01-07-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:32 AM
CorvettePride
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The faint noise sounded like it was generated by small electric motor (like one of the motors that makes the seat adjustments).

I have the "Memory Seat" option, and initially had trouble with it working properly. I read another forum topic about this dilemma, and found that the drivers seat was set too far to the rear (the track limit) and that moving the set point forward about 3/4" got everything working as it should.

I should note that the Memory seats were set up to return to a rear and high position when the corvette was turned off.
yes like a small air pump. My 2015 did this my 2017 does not.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettePride
yes like a small air pump. My 2015 did this my 2017 does not.
Hmm, your comment caused me to think about the small silver vacuum pump for the brake booster located on the drivers side . Could put your ear next to it and see if that is the cause. If there is a leak, it could be operating intermittently to maintain a minimum level and then shut off totally with all electrical power after ~10 minutes. Pic below:

Picture, top of vacuum pump.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-07-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by redrider28075
I too have heard that same noise. I thought it may be the throttle plate motor. not sure though . Mine is a 2015 Z51 with about 21 thousand miles.
I'm assuming you did not take it to the dealer for them to look at? How often does it happen?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

I do not have memory seats, and this sound did not sound like a seat motor. This sound was a more higher pitched, screeching type sound.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, your comment caused me to think about the small silver vacuum pump for the brake booster located on the drivers side . Could put your ear next to it and see if that is the cause. If there is a leak, it could be operating intermittently to maintain a minimum level and then shut off totally with all electrical power after ~10 minutes. Pic below:

Picture, top of vacuum pump.
Interesting... I will look for this and if it happens again, I will check it.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 AM
redrider28075
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
I'm assuming you did not take it to the dealer for them to look at? How often does it happen?
No I did not take it the dealer. I think it is a normal sound. everything works perfect . I was just curious about what it could be.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 AM
redrider28075
Advanced

Sorry I didn't read all of you post. I haven't noticed the noise in two years of ownership

Get notified of new replies

To Weird noise from engine

Quick Reply: Weird noise from engine