2016 NPP exhaust valves still squeaking and going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:10 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default 2016 NPP exhaust valves still squeaking and going crazy

There's been a few past threads on this with little reply, but there seems to be a fundamental flaw with the butterfly exhaust valves.

I got my first C7 in 2014 and attributed a constant squeaking to first-year kinks. However, the problem is now also occuring on my 2016 Z06.

After some months of driving, whenever either car opens or closes the exhaust valves, they squeak like a tiny mouse crying out in agony. It's 100% reproducible all the time once it starts, such as 4th gear around 1200-1400 RPM.

If you maintain that speed, its also going crazy like the system is telling it to rapidly open and close (a bunch of squeaks in a row). Only goes away if you slow down, speed up, or switch gears (which all take it out of range of where it changes the valves).

Some people might think, "better take it to get checked out," but its both cars.

Some suggest spraying WD40. It does actually quiet the sound, but its just masking the issue temporarily- as it comes back in both cars after a matter of weeks. Also, that's just randomly spraying WD40 all over the stuff since... who knows where the sound actually originates?

My biggest concern is, squeaking or not, why the valves go nuts. I know that if I am driving slow in 4th gear, those valves are back there flailing back and forth. Perhaps its only 7 speeds? Poorly coded software? 3 years running with no improvements? Wonder if new 2017s will show the same stuff?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 PM
M_G
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Any resolution on this issue for you (or anyone else!)? My 2016 is getting worse as I put more miles on it. Its way worse in track mode (which is all I drive in, but I have been playing around with tour and it doesn't happen as often). I have the same problem you have, with a reproducible squeak/chirp usually in 4th gear (M7). I actually had this same issue in my last GM truck when the AFM would kick in and out. I talked to my service department many times and they acknowledged the issue but didn't have a fix. My new 17 Sierra doesn't seem to have the problem, but I'm only a year and 8k in with that one.

I haven't taken the Vette in yet, because I remember trying with my 15 Sierra and not getting anywhere, but its getting worse and its crazy that GM hasn't come up with a fix for this problem yet when it impact so many different cars.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

A range device to keep it in V8 mode and a mild to wild switch, the valves will stay open or closed depending on the switch you push. I love having mine open for most of the time and only close them when I am with my wife and on the highway and even then it's only if she complains lol ....

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 NPP exhaust valves still squeaking and going crazy

Quick Reply: 2016 NPP exhaust valves still squeaking and going crazy