C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:22 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
That is what I was thinking. The original seat (with leaves) looked good.
The microfiber suede insert was separated from the foam and wrinkling at the bottom towards where it meets the bottom cushion. I asked them to look at it and see if they could smooth it out but they said they wanted to replace the whole cover. I should have stuck with my instinct and said never mind.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That really sucks. I told you when my friend, the old service manager, left they are going down hill. I suggest an attorney!! Good luck. JJJ
Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That is a bit odd because a) I know McMurray (had in-laws on Ammons Drive) and b) know a little bit of info on Sun Chev. Way back in '09, "John Harry" and "Blindfingers" wrote that Paul was the tech to go to at the dealership. Too bad if they've slipped so far since then.

If you like a more industry and public airing, there is: http://www.dealerrater.com/directory...un%20Chevrolet

Last edited by AORoads; 02-04-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:13 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by AORoads
Way back in '09, "John Harry" and "Blindfingers" wrote that Paul was the tech to go to at the dealership.
I haven't needed to go to Sun for a long time. I know that some years ago Paul was promoted from tech/shop foreman to "supervisor" or something, and someone else became the Vette tech. No idea if either are still there.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Diesel88
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
So - what's with the leaves on the seat that isn't perfect?
lol, the leaves bothered me more at first. Even though it is a very simple solution then the seats. O wouldn't be happy either with the way it came out.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:45 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Diesel88
lol, the leaves bothered me more at first. Even though it is a very simple solution then the seats. O wouldn't be happy either with the way it came out.

Lol I took the vette out to lunch and left the roof off at the office for the last 3 hours of the day.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by John Harry
I haven't needed to go to Sun for a long time. I know that some years ago Paul was promoted from tech/shop foreman to "supervisor" or something, and someone else became the Vette tech. No idea if either are still there.
Hey John Harry! I just checked the Sun site; looks like Paul isn't even listed there. Maybe he left.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Paul is a very good friend of mine. He was the service manager for a year and then he quit. The service department has gone down hill since then. He still works for gm and I will take my 14 to him for all of my service and warranty. JJJ
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

I had a seat cover replaced in my ST.

The first time it was replaced the back of the seat was all wrinkled and ugly. I complained they sent it out to a 3rd party shop who fixed the seat at no cost.

Dealer work (warranty or not) should be identical to the factory. They want to sell you that they are factory trained and the best to work on your car, they should expect the same standards and excellence as the factory provides.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:47 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I had a seat cover replaced in my ST.

The first time it was replaced the back of the seat was all wrinkled and ugly. I complained they sent it out to a 3rd party shop who fixed the seat at no cost.

Dealer work (warranty or not) should be identical to the factory. They want to sell you that they are factory trained and the best to work on your car, they should expect the same standards and excellence as the factory provides.
Agreed.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 6714
Paul is a very good friend of mine. He was the service manager for a year and then he quit. The service department has gone down hill since then. He still works for gm and I will take my 14 to him for all of my service and warranty. JJJ
OP, this is a CF member you might like to talk with and find where "Paul" is now, if not with Sun. Never hurts to have an excellent GM tech in your files for future reference.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 6714
If you could let me know where he is I'd appreciate it. Post or PM would be good, as I may need some dealer work done this spring and I trust him. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

My case has been escalated above customer care. Spoke to someone today who is going to call me back Wednesday after interfacing with the regional manager and dealership
Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

GM Executive care communicated with the dealership who told them they have replaced it twice but they obviously don't have the ability to make it right so there's nothing they can do.

GM Executive care is telling me if the dealership isn't willing to try and fix it there is nothing that can be done and they can't force the dealership to do anything. They told me the original seat wasn't defective and the dealer replaced it under a customer satisfaction program and since they did that I have no recourse. She is going to contact the dealership again and see what else they can work out and get back to me next week.

This blows, I should have never let them touch the car to begin with. This lack of accountability from anyone is really making me rethink the garage of GM's that I currently own.

Last edited by SK360; 02-10-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

An update...

Been working with General Motors Executive GM Customer Care. I sent them photos and they confirmed with another group that the covers need to be steamed when installed to tighten them. Executive care confirmed with Sun Chevrolet that they don't have the equipment to do that as well as confirmed that the "trim shop" that they sent it to also does not have that equipment.

With that being said they offered to help me find another local dealership to work with in getting this repaired properly but the caveat to that is it would be out of my own pocket. They are claiming the seat cover was replaced under a "customer satisfaction" program and not a "warranty" repair, therefore there's nothing else they can do unless the dealership steps up.

Basically it's acceptable for a dealer ill prepared for the work to attempt a repair, send it out to a shop which is also not prepared for the work and then wash their hands of it and now I'm stuck paying to get it fixed somewhere. Not to mention nobody knows yet if the multiple attempts to repair this have damaged the underlying structure.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

GM has always had that attitude since the 70s. You spend 60, 70 grand for one of their vehicles and they won't accept responsibility.. When you add up all the problems with th C7 IT IS UNBELIEVABLE. never mind the seat cover, they should have sent you a brand new seat period. bolt it in..done. Common sense that the dealer will never get it right 100% like the factory. My C7 is the only GM car I own. My Lexus and Honda are built like tanks. No roof rattles. cracked windshields, bad Torque Converters.Bad differentials.etc etc. The parts are all bought from the lowest bidder with no quality control..I like my C7 hope nothing goes wrong. With the C7 if you did not buy an extended Warranty, good luck to you. PS maybe since you have to pay, you should bite the bullet and order a new seat. I would be so pissed that is what I probably do. Or this will go on and on and on.

Last edited by kaplana08; 02-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

No OEM will give you a new seat for a surface issue. You always get the minimum amount of parts needed to solve the issue. Dealers are supposed to be trained to do it right. They rarely do, but the OEM doesn't own the Dealer so they will of course claim no responsibility.

I blame Dealers.

BTW, I've had no real quality issues with any of my US OEM cars. I've had some design issues with parts due to "edge" use cases (like tracking my Focus ST) or my seat bolster (due to me rubbing against it all the time). But brining up other OEMs doesn't mean squat they all have issues.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 02-15-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
^^^

No OEM will give you a new seat for a surface issue. You always get the minimum amount of parts needed to solve the issue. Dealers are supposed to be trained to do it right. They rarely do, but the OEM doesn't own the Dealer so they will of course claim no responsibility.

I blame Dealers.

BTW, I've had no real quality issues with any of my US OEM cars. I've had some design issues with parts due to "edge" use cases (like tracking my Focus ST) or my seat bolster (due to me rubbing against it all the time). But brining up other OEMs doesn't mean squat they all have issues.
This is the problem. Dealer thinks they can handle repair, attempts, screws it up. Try again, same result if not worse. Tells me to go somewhere else. GM Says seats need steamed when installed, can't hold dealer responsible since they are independent. Can't provide someone else to fix it since dealership replaced under "customer satisfaction" and not a warranty repair. No accountability for what one of their dealerships screwed up. Having a garage/driveway full of GM's, this makes me extremely angry/sad/whatever.

Last edited by SK360; 02-15-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:02 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SK360
This is the problem. Dealer thinks they can handle repair, attempts, screws it up. Try again, same result if not worse. Tells me to go somewhere else. GM Says seats need steamed when installed, can't hold dealer responsible since they are independent. Can't provide someone else to fix it since dealership replaced under "customer satisfaction" and not a warranty repair. No accountability for what one of their dealerships screwed up. Having a garage/driveway full of GM's, this makes me extremely angry/sad/whatever.
Sadly you will find similar treatment at many OEM dealerships. There are exceptions. Lexus is notoriously good (hurts me to say that), and Hyundai tries to be as well. The problem is the model. The OEM can't control the dealer, and the dealer can't control the OEM. There is a very adversarial relationship there, which the customer pays for.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Same with me, there was a mark on my seat from the factory and when they PDI'ed it, they rubbed a bit too hard. So they ordered me a new seat skin and i can see a few wrinkles too... i'm gonna give it some time to see if it comes back on its own, otherwise will mention it to then next time i go in... its not a huge problem but i do understand your concern.

Sort of like how my friend the drycleaner would always tell his customers.... " a blind man would be happy to see that spot !"

Quick Reply: Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.