C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission (2016 A8) "shutters" while driving/crusing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 AM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Transmission (2016 A8) "shutters" while driving/crusing.

2016 A8 Z51 with 4090 miles. I feel a "shuttering" feeling while driving at consistent cruising speeds. This came on gradually and seems to have gotten worse. I have not been on the forum in awhile, so maybe this same topic has been discussed, but in a search, I could not find it.

I brought into my local dealer, they said it was "common" and needed a "flash" for an update. While there, I had the air bag recall issue taken care of, and the complimentary oil change. They said they test drove it, and everything checked out. I did notice the shifts from gear to gear appeared smoother, however after about 10 minutes of driving I felt the first shutter. Drove it yesterday on a very smooth and level road. At 62 mph, the rpm's are @ 1500. Then comes the shutter that lasts about 2-4 seconds (some are worse and longer than others) during that time, the tach clearly drops 200-300 rpms and the needle fluctuates in conjunction with the shutter as the motor and drive train seem to fight through the problem. It is annoying as hell, and can't be a good thing as it feels the entire drive train is struggling during the problem. It is not a minor shutter, pretty severe, I counted 14 occurrences in the 4 mile run. Made another appointment for this Friday morning. I was told they will "take care of it" any ideas? Anyone else experience this problem. I use the word "shutter" because that is the best description I can think of, it is a very pronounced way beyond vibration that you feel in the entire car, seat, etc. In fact my wife said "what was that?" when it first occurred. 7th and mostly 8th gear seem the worst, but I seldom stay in 6th and below the way the trans shifts.

Popular Reply

01-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
Why do the RMPs drop if it's the TC?
It's a feature called "lock Up". Simply put, the TC transfers the power from the engine to the transmission hydraulically, meaning that the engine is not connected directly to the transmission on automatic cars. Rather, inside the TC you have two turbines, or fans, facing each other, submerged in transmission fluid, so when the engine side starts turning its fan, it blows the fluid onto the fan connected to transmission and subsequently starts turning that fan and moving the car. Much like blowing on a pinwheel. But since the engine is not directly connected to the trans, you can completely stop the car without stalling the engine. Needless to say, there is a huge loss of power due to the inefficiencies of this hydraulic connection. This is where "lock up" comes in. On most cars, when the transmission senses that you are in top gear and traveling at a constant 45+ MPH, it will automatically bypass the fans and connect directly to the engine, ergo the RPM drop as if you had another gear. Soon as you drop speed or accelerate to pass, it disengages until you resume a normal cruising speed again. Reason for the system is mainly fuel economy. The way the system is designed is that there is a clutch and plate in the TC that engages and disengages and the shutter is normally from a bad clutch or the "lock Up" engagement coming in or out at the wrong times. I had just purchased a new Chevy Tahoe and noticed at certain speeds and rpm, there is a slight vibration which I think is the TC coming in too early at lower gears, and I believe the car has the same 8L90-E A8 as the Corvette. So I think GM has some engineering and warranty work to do.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 AM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

sounds like your car needs a new torque converter.
The following users liked this post:
vettpapaw (09-05-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:53 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yup, likely torque converter.

See TSB in post 15:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-shudders.html
Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

No doubt, you need a new torque converter, mine did the same thing. Take it to a dealer who has replaced torque converters before. The first dealer I went to said everything was normal. Took my car to a dealer who had replaced quite a few TC's and in 5 min they said I needed a new TC.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

What is your build date?
Old 01-25-2017, 10:47 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Stingray Chevrolet

Consider taking it to Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City.
One of the members just had their transmission Repaired there. While others are talking about weeks they were done within just a couple of days, or less, If I remember correctly.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 01-25-2017, 01:52 PM
SpeedUp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
No doubt, you need a new torque converter, mine did the same thing. Take it to a dealer who has replaced torque converters before. The first dealer I went to said everything was normal. Took my car to a dealer who had replaced quite a few TC's and in 5 min they said I needed a new TC.
Yours still working good after the TC swap ?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by 2HD's2vettes
2016 A8 Z51 with 4090 miles. I feel a "shuttering" feeling while driving at consistent cruising speeds. This came on gradually and seems to have gotten worse.
Many threads on this issue and mine is in the shop now for a TC replacement. Do a search, research thoroughly, and have your info together before approaching the dealer again. One important document is PIP5337E, which will probably sound familiar when you read it. Note that the TC part # 24279495 (Rev. 2) stated in that document has been superseded by 24280631 (Rev. 3). Make sure they use the latest TC revision!

I brought into my local dealer, they said it was "common"....
Yes.

...and needed a "flash" for an update.
Need a reflash? Doubtful unless you're having shifting issues. Fix the shudder? No. Been there, done that. A TC replacement is the current "fix," but they're on revision #3 of the TC now and the first three (original and revs. 1-2) have not been the fix for all vehicles. Some are on their third TC and a few 2017 owners are reporting TC problems. I'm hoping the latest revision is the magic bullet but am not optimistic.

Last edited by iclick; 01-25-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
It's a feature called "lock Up". Simply put, the TC transfers the power from the engine to the transmission hydraulically, meaning that the engine is not connected directly to the transmission on automatic cars. Rather, inside the TC you have two turbines, or fans, facing each other, submerged in transmission fluid, so when the engine side starts turning its fan, it blows the fluid onto the fan connected to transmission and subsequently starts turning that fan and moving the car. Much like blowing on a pinwheel. But since the engine is not directly connected to the trans, you can completely stop the car without stalling the engine. Needless to say, there is a huge loss of power due to the inefficiencies of this hydraulic connection. This is where "lock up" comes in. On most cars, when the transmission senses that you are in top gear and traveling at a constant 45+ MPH, it will automatically bypass the fans and connect directly to the engine, ergo the RPM drop as if you had another gear. Soon as you drop speed or accelerate to pass, it disengages until you resume a normal cruising speed again. Reason for the system is mainly fuel economy. The way the system is designed is that there is a clutch and plate in the TC that engages and disengages and the shutter is normally from a bad clutch or the "lock Up" engagement coming in or out at the wrong times. I had just purchased a new Chevy Tahoe and noticed at certain speeds and rpm, there is a slight vibration which I think is the TC coming in too early at lower gears, and I believe the car has the same 8L90-E A8 as the Corvette. So I think GM has some engineering and warranty work to do.

Last edited by Gearbox22; 01-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Gearbox22:
ben dover (01-25-2017), Jmcdude (01-26-2017), joemessman (01-26-2017), LB001 (09-05-2017), Pisswilly (09-07-2017), Rebel Yell (01-25-2017), Red C8 of Jax (01-26-2017), traronf (01-26-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedUp
Yours still working good after the TC swap ?
Yes, the transmission has been flawless. My TC was replaced February, 2016 and I have put approximately 14K on the car since the new TC.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:03 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by iclick
Many threads on this issue and mine is in the shop now for a TC replacement. Do a search, research thoroughly, and have your info together before approaching the dealer again. One important document is PIP5337E, which will probably sound familiar when you read it. Note that the TC part # 24279495 (Rev. 2) stated in that document has been superseded by 24280631 (Rev. 3). Make sure they use the latest TC revision!
Curious, when was Rev. 3 released for use?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Curious, when was Rev. 3 released for use?
Roughly about 30 days ago.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A8 Shutter

Was able to record the shuddering noise with my phone. Is this what people are hearing? I'm coasting, then gently accelerate and the noise is constant until I go back into V8 mode.

Last edited by RIRENTERC6; 09-05-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Swt_86
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are observing an RPM change of over 50 RPM and/or observing a shaking in the steering wheel or seat much like driving over a rough road it is extremely likely you have a TC problem. It is likely the RPM changes and shaking will go away when you put it in V8 mode.

Refer your dealer to bulletin 16-na-175. It seems that currently the first fix is to do a "triple flush" and use Mobil 1 synthetic fluid. Had it done to mine last month and it has been good since.

RIRENTERC6 - Just by looking at your RPM changes, you have the problem. Have the dealer fix it.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Originally Posted by RIRENTERC6
Was able to record the shuttering noise with my phone. Is this what people are hearing? I'm coasting, then gently accelerate and the noise is constant until I go back into V8 mode.
https://youtu.be/1Tv3A5GpHnU
Looks like a problem with the belt tensioner that other Z06 owners have been having.
Mine had the TC Shudder and it didn't feel or sound like that.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

ShuTTer is something found in a camera or beside a window. ShuDDer is a vibration or shaking.

I just can't understand why GM even bothered trying to meet their CAFE goals by putting the AFM and destined-to-fail TC lockup clutch arrangement in the Corvettes. They add several thousand dollars to the purchase price, nobody really wants them, and for sure nobody wants all the headaches they've caused. Look at all the lost sales, unhappy customers, and added warranty expense they've incurred.

C7 buyers would have been way better off just paying the gas guzzler tax on every car.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission (2016 A8) "shutters" while driving/crusing.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:16 PM
RIRENTERC6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Swt_86
If you are observing an RPM change of over 50 RPM and/or observing a shaking in the steering wheel or seat much like driving over a rough road it is extremely likely you have a TC problem. It is likely the RPM changes and shaking will go away when you put it in V8 mode.

Refer your dealer to bulletin 16-na-175. It seems that currently the first fix is to do a "triple flush" and use Mobil 1 synthetic fluid. Had it done to mine last month and it has been good since.

RIRENTERC6 - Just by looking at your RPM changes, you have the problem. Have the dealer fix it.

they completed the flush 2 weeks ago. They are now going to look into replacing the TC. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:39 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Originally Posted by RIRENTERC6
Was able to record the shuddering noise with my phone. Is this what people are hearing? I'm coasting, then gently accelerate and the noise is constant until I go back into V8 mode.
https://youtu.be/1Tv3A5GpHnU

Look into this TSB
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-afm-1357.html
Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
jbeidl
NCM Life Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Swt_86
Is there an updated bulletin that includes 2017 models? I have a 2017 Grand Sport (build date 7/28/2016) that exhibits the RPM variation with AFM active (see post 305 here)

I don't notice any symptoms except for the RPM variations but this can't be a good thing.

John

Last edited by jbeidl; 09-05-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission (2016 A8) "shutters" while driving/crusing.