Looking for opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:32 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I got mine in October 2013....after LOTS of mods and 22,000 miles, still in the honeymoon phase with me car. No issues....mine was one of the first 1,500 built too.
Same experience. Mine was a September 2013, early build. I was #9 at Hendrick in Cary NC, one of the few dealers to take money to hold a position in ~February 2013 before there was GM pricing! Had contract at MSRP, whatever it was! I was #9 on their list. When I called the salesman to be sure I was still at #9, he said: "You'll be #9 unless Jeff Gordon wants one, then you'll be number 10!

Sold it last week and hope my Grand Sport on order will be as reliable. Only recalls were in October 2013 GM sent a notice to have the dif fluid level checked. Went to my local dealer who just had their best mechanic go to C7 training. He let me watch. The level was fine!

No recall on roofs, some do make noise and there is a fix (of sorts,) as I had done for my C6. My C7 roof never made a sound.

There was a recent airbag recall, 30 minutes for that software update.

Had a number of mods but removed many before I sold it and they will be on my GS, like low restriction aFe intake system, catch can, clean side separator, nylon bra, wired radar detector, Stingray sill plates etc.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-28-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:44 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Does anyone know of a place to buy replacement NPP mufflers that would be cheaper than going through a dealer?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Does anyone know of a place to buy replacement NPP mufflers that would be cheaper than going through a dealer?
Your best bet would be to search the classifieds on Corvette forums and eBay. Also look online at stores like gmpartsdirect.com. Local dealers are probably the most expensive.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
There's also a way to tell if the car once really had NPP because the valves would still be there.
And how is that possible since the valves are part of the mufflers that were removed.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Yep, a number of folks replace the NPP when they find the sound (even with the fuse pulled) is not what they like and buy Borla etc who design for sound and have different levels available. Search eBay, perhaps Angie's List etc for almost new used set.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

There are some nice 2014's for sale now as the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty's are expiring and/or guys/gals are just ready for a change, move up to a 2017 GS or Z06 etc. I bought a 2014 last week to replace my 2012 CTS-V ( which was a great car, but being a life long vette junkie, I was over due to get back in a vette. I sold my 2010 GS with LPE supercharger package to my brother over 2 years ago as he kept bugging me to sell it to him and I was getting ready to buy a new Z06 A8).

Since GM has still has not resolved all the A8 torque converter etc issues, I bought the 2014 C7 A6 3LT Z51/Mag Ride with 6500 miles original owner in mint condition. The point of this is, there are other well preserved not beat up gems out there to be had, where you don't have to go searching for original mufflers with all the correct parts needed, to recapture the well thought out NO Drone OEM exhaust setup. Course if the car you are looking at has just about everything you want, the price is good and maybe you know the owner and feel comfortable the car has not been abused, chasing down the mufflers may be just a minor issue to resolve.

As to extended warranty ( service contract), my car has 2 months left on the 3/36 bumper to bumper, I only plan to keep the Stingray for another year or two until GM hopefully gets the A8 figured out and buy a Z06. So like you, I want piece of mind so I bought a GMEPP service contract from Dennis Fictner for $1275 that is 5 yrs/60000 miles, "0" deductible( he had a special going for $200 off set to expire at the end of Feb. Maybe he extended it. There are cheaper plans with less mileage and/or duration).
Since most of the super thrifty types on here are terrified of mag shock replacement expense, the GMEPP plan DOES cover mag shock replacement. If you sell the car, you get one time to transfer to the new owner for $75.00 or you can get a pro rated refund to you if you desire.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

There are some nice 2014's for sale now as the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty's are expiring and/or guys/gals are just ready for a change, move up to a 2017 GS or Z06 etc. I bought a 2014 last week to replace my 2012 CTS-V ( which was a great car, but being a life long vette junkie, I was over due to get back in a vette. I sold my 2010 GS with LPE supercharger package to my brother over 2 years ago as he kept bugging me to sell it to him and I was getting ready to buy a new Z06 A8).

Since GM has still has not resolved all the A8 torque converter etc issues, I bought the 2014 C7 A6 3LT Z51/Mag Ride with 6500 miles original owner in mint condition. The point of this is, there are other well preserved not beat up gems out there to be had, where you don't have to go searching for original mufflers with all the correct parts needed, to recapture the well thought out NO Drone OEM exhaust setup. Course if the car you are looking at has just about everything you want, the price is good and maybe you know the owner and feel comfortable the car has not been abused, chasing down the mufflers may be just a minor issue to resolve.

As to extended warranty ( service contract), my car has 2 months left on the 3/36 bumper to bumper, I only plan to keep the Stingray for another year or two until GM hopefully gets the A8 figured out and buy a Z06. So like you, I want piece of mind so I bought a GMEPP service contract from Dennis Fictner for $1275 that is 5 yrs/60000 miles, "0" deductible( he had a special going for $200 off set to expire at the end of Feb. Maybe he extended it. There are cheaper plans with less mileage and/or duration).
Since most of the super thrifty types on here are terrified of mag shock replacement expense, the GMEPP plan DOES cover mag shock replacement. If you sell the car, you get one time to transfer to the new owner for $75.00 or you can get a pro rated refund to you if you desire.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions....